Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Favourite Master Traits?  (Read 8648 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Master Traits?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 22:42 »

I almost always work toward an Ammochain build, unless I'm playing an Angel that restricts the type of gameplay it works for.

I also included Gun Kata and Army of the Dead in the vote - I've had more success with AoMr then any other Angel type, due largely to Gun Kata; and Army of the Dead is my preferred AoSh Master trait.

Then again, I'm still just beginning to play, so I have alot to learn about more advanced tactics.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 20:23 »

Oldish post, and now that 0.9.9.2 has come out, a few things may have changed a bit........

1: Ammo-chain. It's overpowered in it's synergy. It's too customizable. With 1 level of experience offset (for Juggler) it's too easy to overcome any situation without thought. Now with advanced assemblies it's even better. The only problem is........ it's friggin fantastic. In any game of DoomRL you never know what you're going to get. With Ammochain you do. You get a good (great) gun that doesn't need ammo. You get more backpack space because you can usually use all your mods straight away. You almost always get through the first few levels, even on N!, just because of shotgun juggling. It's just nice to know, you'll always be armed, always dish out damage, and will usually have some pretty spiffy armour to back you up. This just gets better with assemblies in the new version.

2: AotD. Shotguns, what's not to like? Area effect, no item destruction, corner shooting shotguns. And armour piercing shotguns at that. While some of the build seems a little redundant once you have it (Reloaderx2) the beauty of a power modded shotty is amazing. Any power modded shotty. You get good armour, never have to worry about just when to grab health, and a single/double/combat-barrel full of kick-arse. I haven't gotten around to trying out the new elephant gun, but it just makes this build even more beautiful. BOOM-click-click...........

3: Vampyre. It gets you SO many badges. It gets you SO many ranks. It changes the way you play the game. Running is a way of life, doors and spare green armour your friend. It's a totally different game, and it teaches you how to play the game with any other build, safely. Between being berserk most of the time, having good armour anyway, regen'ing health as you kill, doing sweet H2H damage and allowing you to have all this while still firing bullets is amazing. On AoB it's great. On just a normal game it kind of makes it a cake-walk sometimes. With one question, do you want to gun or do you want to run. And kill, Kill, KILL!!!!

For 0.9.9.2 I can see a few real standouts though. They've been considered a bit weaker up until now, and you now need to hope for mods (new Chained Courts runs essential), but Blademaster and Fireangle should be all the more powerful now. For two reasons. Tactical armour and boots. 40% faster regen'ing armour, with nice anti-knockback. How fast are you running/dodging? That's fast.

Of course, Vampyre might go a bit spastic with the chainsaw/mods/tactical armour or chainsword thing from the Chained Court in any case. What Arena Master??????
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 20:29 by Sambojin »

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 22:14 »

Oldish post, and now that 0.9.9.2 has come out, a few things may have changed a bit........

1: Ammo-chain.
A bit off-topic, but I'm thinking the best way to balance that might be to just remove the "infinite ammo" bit. No need to reload, but you'll still have to provide ammo.

Much like MaiZure, I've lately stopped going for Master Traits most of the time unless I'm in a challenge game. But when I do, I prefer Dos Equis Army of the Dead, Ammochain, and Gun Kata. AotD with the Elephant Gun is something I've been meaning to try.

Most of the time, though, I've been beelining for Whizkid, then working on other general-use skills based on what I've found - SoB if I'm using a Chaingun, SoG if I have a good pistol, or Reloader or defensive stuff for other weapons.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]
Pages: 1 [2]  All