Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Favourite Master Traits?  (Read 8647 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Favourite Master Traits?
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:51 »

Quite recently someone asked if anyone uses Cateye anymore, and that made me think whether the Master Traits we have are balanced... Hence the poll to judge their popularity (to see which ones need to be boosted).

If you always go for Ammochain or other trait, please select one option only, if you do various builds often, please choose up to three!

Of course, the topic is open for a discussion, so please also post with what you voted and why!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Master Traits?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11 »

FireAngel was never my main pick, but back before the criteria changed it was a favorite for AoPc.  I think having masters that appeal only to specific challenges is okay, but that aspect could skew your poll.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29 »

Vampyre, because it makes AoB possible, and I scarcely play outside it anymore. Blademaster is also fine, though, for lower difficulties.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 10:14 »

I found Cat Eye + Intuition combo quite useful in my AoImpatience runs, where seeing enemy before he can see you adds a huge advantage - and wasting ammo usage is not that important as you don't need to carry those useless medikits :) .

A lot of masteries are challenge dependant and this may affect poll, like yaflhdztioxo already mentioned.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:53 »

For the most part, I tend only to master-build when going shotty (which is quite often). Since there aren't a lot of options when it comes to shotgun-oriented builds, Army of the Dead and Fireangel give you something very powerful to work toward. Of the two, MFa is my build of choice on Nightmare!, while MAD is often used on the easier difficulties (excepting defense-heavy challenges).

Otherwise, the only master-build I consider using is Ammochain, barring the occasional play of AoB or other unusual challenges. The Chained Court makes it way too easy to get agility mods, which corrects the one major flaw of a MAc build: lack of accuracy. I've mentioned multiple solutions in the past to change it up (such as to randomize the mods given, or randomize to include exotics as well) and I think it would make many people think twice before committing.

As for the others:

- Melee masters are obviously going to be used in a melee build and very rarely anything else.
- Gun Kata only comes in handy if you find a unique pistol or plenty of mods, otherwise you're lacking damage on the later floors. This is to say that leveling SoB, instead, is a less risky strategy but will assume a more experienced playstyle (as Gun Kata is great for dodging).
- That I don't pick Cateye is probably a personal preference more than anything, coming from whether or not I consider Intx2 a viable option. It has uses in certain cases, but EE -> EE -> Int -> Int only makes economic sense if you're playing a rapid-fire build (only the chaingun/plasma rifle would ever need +4-to-hit) and Ammochain lets you fire all you want into the dark anyway. If I wasn't expecting to level up a lot, I'd use it, but most games I can hit lvl12 without trying, and as high as 16 on UV games. Often Intuition tells you things that a veteran can intuit without its vision (go figure).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 14:33 »

Hey, little question, I only want to see the results of the poll. Does just clicking submit without checking anything affect the those?
EDIT: Oh, whoops, just found the "view results" button to the right. Never mind. :P
EDIT2: It doesn't work. :|
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 14:35 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 17:53 »

Army of the Dead/Ammochain - The two that are most relevant to the average run through hell.
Gun Kata - The most fun trait.

Blademaster - Doesn't really synergise with the melee strategy, underpowered compared to the alternative. Should be reworked from the ground up if necessary.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 18:42 »

Vampyre - I'll find any excuse to take vampyre. I used a decent amount in 0.9.9.0 to get some of the non-melee platinums and diamonds.

Ammochain - Definitely for AoMC, sometimes for Ao100, but even then I lean towards Intx2. Good for a few challenges, only average in most cases.

Army of the Dead - Good for shotgun centric games, so I'll always take it for AoSh, nothing else though.

Fireangel - I remember liking it in 0.9.9.0, but I didn't take it a lot, I haven't used it in 0.9.9.1.

Gun Kata - I've only ever used it during AoMr, but I can't tell if it's better than SoBx3.

Blademaster - It's the one master trait I've never used. I'd try it in Ao100 if whizkid worked on melee weapons.

Cateye - I never cared for cateye, even when it was just an advanced trait. Honestly I think Intx2 should be the master trait and cateye should go back to an advanced one.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Garlyle

• Lance Corporal
  • Former Human Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 18:50 »

Army of the Dead, hands down; but that's because I favour Shotgun-centric play 90% of the time.
0.9.9.7 Stats: [7 M / 17 S / 4 A] - [10 / 2 / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 20:28 »

Gun Kata - I've only ever used it during AoMr, but I can't tell if it's better than SoBx3.

Blademaster - It's the one master trait I've never used. I'd try it in Ao100 if whizkid worked on melee weapons.
Gun Kata used to rule supreme for pistol builds, but after the Dodgemaster trait was "fixed" to only dodge the first attack, it became severely weakened.  This, coupled with the fact that all monsters past HNTR are faster than before (and more accurate), makes Gun Kata less effective than an SoBx3 build.

Blademaster is fun to play if you are good at dodging.  Again, this is affected by the "fix" on Dodgemaster, which makes playing Blademaster more perilious than Vampyre.
I computed, therefore I was.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 21:02 »

Well I only picked ammochain for the obvious reasons though I would also pick;

Blademaster, I really love the speed for AoB, I'd really like if it could give you a cleave ability or some more speed to your movement aswell.

Fireangel is pretty perfect aswell and I use it sometimes for more trickier badge huntings.

Personaly I think cateye should have some other uses aswell, 2 more sight radious alone doesn't make it that great, though with intuation it becomes easy mode.
i dont even know anymore

C4Cypher

• Corporal
  • Clear Chamber, Load, Charge, Safety, Fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:18 »

As a pistol fiend who really values speed over brute force, MGK is hardly the most powerful Master Trait, but for me, it certainly is one of the most fun to play with.

With a close second is FireAngel, so fun to just tear through, both shotgun and rocket launcher blazing with more explosions ripping off around you than Bruce Willice in a Die Hard Film. YippieKayayeye!
Cacodemon Warrant Officer
[12/6/1/0/0]

mcz117chief

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Eternal warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 06:36 »

Army of the Dead for me for sure, i just feel much better, knowing i can kill nearly everything with my shotty

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 19:37 »

Master Traits? What?

Give me TaNx3, Bad, SoBx3, Irox3 with a dash of HR, Fin or EE any day

Edit: My love of stat modifiers prevents me from ever accepting a "Blocked Trait" curse

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 19:39 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 19:47 »

Cateye - I never cared for cateye, even when it was just an advanced trait. Honestly I think Intx2 should be the master trait and cateye should go back to an advanced one.

If Cateye = Computer Map with/without increased vision, I'd try it for sure!
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: [1] 2  All