Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 07:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Poll : Favorite Advanced Traits  (Read 7948 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Poll : Favorite Advanced Traits
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:54 »

Following the footsteps of the poll on Master Traits and preparing to do some juggling in the trait selection, I'd like to ask you also to cast your opinions on the current advanced trait selection. The feedback in the Master topic so far is exceptionally useful for me, and will be the base of a future change, however, to do it I'd also need similar information on the Advanced Traits.

Similarly to the MT poll, you can vote for multiple entries (up to 3), and obviously you should make use of it in this poll :).

So cast your vote and discuss!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Garlyle

• Lance Corporal
  • Former Human Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Poll : Favorite Advanced Traits
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:49 »

Badass and Shottyman were automatic choices because I'm a shotgun fan for playing, but Badass I'm especially fond of.

Outside of that, Intuition is probably my favourite; for losing out on a lot of sheer power or defense like you'd have other traits, the tactical advantage is... well, maybe it's a little ridiculous.

Dualgunner is bloody awesome for Marksmanship, but I seriously doubt anyone would take it in a normal run - less because the trait itself is bad, but rather because pistols are (or at least seem) one of the weaker weapon choices, unless you were to get exotic/unique pistols, which you can't guarantee, so...
0.9.9.7 Stats: [7 M / 17 S / 4 A] - [10 / 2 / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:26 »

While I can see how voting on the most used Master Traits can help mix and match end-game fun, it is far less apparent how the Advanced Traits statistics will help, since most people pick the Advanced Traits that will naturally lead into their chosen Master Traits.

One gripe I have is that Dodgemaster works "correctly" now.  It feels so wimpified when all one can do is dodge the first projectile -- gone are the awesomeness of dancing about in the battlefield.  Nevertheless, any extra amount of dodge chance is always welcome in case of having to dash across that open space.

And who can say no to Whizkid (which, incidentally, leads up to the fabled AmmoChain)?
I computed, therefore I was.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:51 »

Dualgunner is quite good even outside of AoMr because if you trait up your DoomGuy properly, you pistols will be awesome even without uniques.
Intuition is good for CatEye runs, which is the only rapidfire build for me. I am not using AmmoChain because it's too OP.
Shottyman makes Assault Shotgun the best shotgun except uniques, andyou're almost guaranteed to get it on any run for some unknown reason.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:21 »

I tend to play a defensive game more often than not, so:
Juggler: Having the right weapon at the right time is amazingly helpful
Badass: Having extra health is always good
Dodgemaster: I like not getting hit...a lot.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

C4Cypher

• Corporal
  • Clear Chamber, Load, Charge, Safety, Fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27 »

Juggler superb for a 'jack of all trades' build built around speed for survivability.  Being able to rifle through your entire arsenal without paying any time cost for switching weapons makes reloading almost an afterthought.  I find it especially helpful early on when the only weapons you have access to are the shotgun and the pistol.  You can equip two shotguns and rip them off rapidly, duck behind cover, reload both and do it again, effectively doubling your effectiveness until you can find a combat shotgun, chain gun, or SoG 3.

DualGunner coupled with SoG is the bread and butter for the pistol build.  Coupled with MGK or SoB+EE you have a lightning fast build with a potentially massive damage output, especially if you find a unique pistol.  There's nothing quite like taking down Viles, Mancubi, Knights and Barons before they can get a shot off.

Although commonly associated with AmmoChain, Whizkid offers a huge capacity to expand the capabilities for your weapons, be it a rapid-fire, shotgun or especially a pistol build. Mods can stretch the limits of your arsenal far beyond that which is available for many other builds, and much like Juggler, it's a great trait for 'Jack of all trades' builds.
Cacodemon Warrant Officer
[12/6/1/0/0]

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:26 »

Juggler is amazing for any game there is, there's no reason not to take in my honest opinion, well apart from mastertrait games and berserks.

Whizkid is my second favorite, the ability to mod not only your weapons but your armor and boots aswell makes it a really great trait.
i dont even know anymore

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 14:25 »

Juggler & Whizkid for me.  Badass should probably have been my 3rd vote, but not sure - traits I pick are so dependent on master trait / game mode, and I rarely play non-Angel for now.  Intuition is the strongest imo - if I am playing rapidfire I might flip a coin on Intuition vs ammochain.

Hmm my Ao100 target build has Whizkid & Dualgunner, sometimes Badass.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:41 »

I can't imagine myself playing without Badass, because... it's simply badass to have 200% hp.
Also, mostly Shottyman or Berserker, depending on the mood I am in.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:00 »

I can't imagine myself playing without Badass, because... it's simply badass to have 200% hp.
You forgot the reduction to knockback, which becomes quite useful when running away.  =D
I computed, therefore I was.

petikkusu

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:34 »

im a fan of whizkid my guns are usually modded to a2p1t1 and also its a requirement for MAc (^^,)

Matandun

• Lance Corporal
  • Angel of Pacifism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44 »

I choose Dodgemaster and Shottyman, because they make a good synergy.
Third one is probably Whizkid, because it is very powerful if you get enough mods.
0.9.9.1: [19/19/13/4/0]
0.9.9.2: [22/20/11/2/1], assemblies [10/2/0]
0.9.9.3: [25/16/10/1/0], assemblies [13/4/0]
0.9.9.4: [25/18/12/1/1], assemblies [18/7/1]

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 14:38 »

Hmmm... Whizkid would come first, as I always have the (not so good at times) luck I find loads and loads of mod packs. Second is Badass, as I'm the kind of player that always rush towards the enemy, no matter what the hell is waiting for me out there. And last, but not least, Dualgunner, for those AoMr runs, against Barons, Mancubi, Archies... You get the deal.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 15:41 »

For me, there's a difference between most-picked and best. I'm not gonna vote formally but bifurcate the two with reasons.

In terms of most picked, I'd have to say Shottyman, Dodgemaster, and Badass (in that order), if only because a lot of my builds that have significant trees are shotty ones. MFa is a pretty flexible master trait if your primary is still shotguns, and MAD is far more shotty-centric but with a huge bonus for it. By contrast, my rapid-fire builds are usually Fin/SoaB/EE without going for any master trait (with the occasional exception of MAc, which means TH and WK) and my pistol build just adds SoaG first. Other than that, the shotty/explosives hybrid only needs Juggler but WK is a backup. Overall, the shotty-based advanced traits have a much greater synergies than the others. (DG is an exception, but that's not for this thread.)

In terms of best (that is, biggest benefit potential) I'd have to mark Intuition, Dualgunner, then a tossup between Whizkid and Shottyman (in that order). Intuition (at both levels) is quite useful, but monster location gives the player an unparalleled advantage. Dualgunner increases your pistol DPS output by ~75% and lowers the necessity to reload in a tight spot. Whizkid modding can be a huge benefit (P3 combat shotgun is godlike) and releases a huge potential out of weapons (like B3 BFG or P2T3/P3T2 pistol); with assemblies it's even more flexible. Shottyman is free reloading each step, allowing the player to make use out of dodging, hit-and-run, or whatever is necessary.

This isn't taking into account the traits that come before it, mind you. The synergy of basic-advanced traits is just as important as advanced-master ones.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59 »

For me, there's a difference between most-picked and best.

I really have to second this, hard. I picked Whizkid, Dodgemaster and Juggler. It's not like I don't use Berserker, I play melee a lot, but I'm only going to pick it when I'm playing melee. Whizkid? Anyone can benefit from it as long as you're not terribly unlucky with mods, and even then there are some guaranteed. It's easy to slide it in there with whatever else. Dualgunner, not so much. Doesn't mean I think they're bad traits, they're just the most flexible for my builds. I don't ever use Intuition, but that's more down to not making builds with two levels of EE to unlock it.
Pages: [1] 2  All