Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 17:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.2] (Linux w/sound) Game "won't" run  (Read 3976 times)

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.2] (Linux w/sound) Game "won't" run
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:16 »

I just woke up and was very happy to see 0.9.9.2 released so I rushed to download a copy. I then tried to run it in my 32bit jail. It flashed some messages and kicked me back to the console. So I re-ran it ~20-30 more times and was pretty sure I saw the word 'timidity' flash by. So I went to '/etc' and created a directory called 'timidity', then I touched 'timidity.cfg' inside of said directory. TA-DA! Doomrl now runs fine. Strange part is, 0.9.9.1 ran fine without it.

Sorry if this is worded poorly, I generally try to not communicate until after I've had a coffee.

Edited to put a few forgotten words in.... and then to rearrange some words, damn I need breakfast
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:18 by AStranger »
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [0.9.9.2] (Linux w/sound) Game "won't" run
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:21 »

I need a FreePascal-aware linux coder :/.

So all in all you managed to get the game to work?

No idea about timidity -- someone else maybe will give a hint?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35 »

I need a FreePascal-aware linux coder :/.

So all in all you managed to get the game to work?

No idea about timidity -- someone else maybe will give a hint?
Yeah it only took me a couple of minutes. The config file is empty, so it's merely the existence that matters. Everything seems fine, I just cleared Hell's Arena.... actually there is no background music. I just checked the config file and it has:
Code: [Select]
GameMusic        = true so after this run and some breakfast in me I'll see if I can get the music working. Either it's my jail screwing up (easy enough to test), or timidity needs some settings tweaked to play music. Either way I should figure it out today, or maybe tonight.
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 15:17 »

Proof that I shouldn't attempt anything before coffee. I figured out what happened. During 0.9.9.1, I switched from playing in Windows to playing in Linux, using the config file from Windows where I had already turned off music. So everything works fine. I download 0.9.9.2 and run it without config file changes, it won't run. I see timidity is a requirement, but then see it was a requirement for 0.9.9.1, which worked, so I figure I have it. I poke at the problem and realize Doomrl is choking because it's looking for a file that doesn't exist. So I 'touch' the file, Doomrl runs but there is no background music. Turns out I'm an idiot, because timidity wasn't even installed. So I installed it, but now I need to find something called 'soundfonts'. I'm just going to turn music off.

To summarize, if you turn game music off (not all sound), then Doomrl will run without timidity. If you have game music on, you better have timidity installed, because the error message only flashes for a fraction of a second if you don't. I guess Doomrl could verify the file exists and quit gracefully or turn off music if it doesn't.
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 15:20 »

Also remember that using MP3's is also an option that doesn't require timidity!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 17:26 »

Also remember that using MP3's is also an option that doesn't require timidity!
You didn't mention that when i asked you!

The problem with using the standard musicmp3.lua lies in the fact it still points to "music/0  - intro.mid" among other things, hence the impression Timidity++ is required. After changing the bind to "mp3/doom_the_roguelike.mp3" the problem vanished (even though DoomRL still flashes a message about not finding a soundcard).

I recommend changing the default bind for `start` in musicmp3.lua and musiccdmp3.lua to something else. What is used - my theme or something else - doesn't matter to me.

EDIT: Actually, my title track is named something else. Funny i didn't remember, since i'm the one who wrote it. In addition, i recommend that the OGG versions of the tracks are used for music instead of the MP3s, as the MP3s sometimes have problems with looping properly and FPC Valkyrie (and DoomRL by extension) can play OGG music natively.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:55 by Simon-v »
Pages: [1]