Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 03:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: (Lava Pit Spoilers for 9.9.2?)  (Read 4095 times)

Storm Magus

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
(Lava Pit Spoilers for 9.9.2?)
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:52 »

So... Lava Element... I got lava pits generated on Hell 8, so I cleared out hell 9 after defeating the Lava Elemental (really easy, as I had a pretty broken weapon- Modded up laser rifle = pure win...), which of course had dropped a "Lava Element." I am not sure how new this is- I didn't run lava pits in 9.9.1, but I did a couple versions ago. Anyway, I didn't know what it did, so I used it after playing around with cybie for a bit (just toying with him, wanted to see what it did). Anyway, it gave me invincibility, so naturally, I primed up the Nuke I was carrying around... Anyway, long story short, you have to use the damn Lava Element second or you stand to get nuked (I nearly killed the damn thing in the 3 seconds I had left...), but it looks like the lava element can basically guarantee a chance at a full win (as in, getting a crack at JC) if you take on the Lava Pits?

Also, I'm new to 9.9.2, but I can't seem to get the medical armors to actually heal me at all... I found medical power armor right before going to visit Cybie and jumped in a lava pool to lower my health (Wiki isn't sure what % it's supposed to bring you up to) and it just didn't do a thing... And the regular medical armor similarly didn't do it's thing... Am I doing it wrong?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: (Lava Pit Spoilers for 9.9.2?)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:55 »

Also, I'm new to 9.9.2, but I can't seem to get the medical armors to actually heal me at all... I found medical power armor right before going to visit Cybie and jumped in a lava pool to lower my health (Wiki isn't sure what % it's supposed to bring you up to) and it just didn't do a thing... And the regular medical armor similarly didn't do it's thing... Am I doing it wrong?
My only hint is: Take more damage...  ;-)
I computed, therefore I was.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58 »

My only hint is: Take more damage...  ;-)
All I can say is that I hope the Medical Powerarmor has a higher max HP gain, because the medical armor is almost totally unreliable for any difficulty above HNTR. Too many enemies deal too much damage to make the amount you get healed worth it (unless you get it like, RIGHT after Base Entry). Now if, say, applying tech mod made that HP max go up, I could see a better reason to carry it around. Even nanofiber'd and with Iro3 it just feels like a waste of space. I like the concept, but the equipment in particular lacks practicality (in contrast to the item's description).

With regards to the lava element, yes, it only lasts about five actions. Yes, it also needs to be added to the Wiki, I just figured people could sweat a bit on some of the more interesting details added this version. (For instance, I have the recipes for the assemblies that don't have pages but are listed: I'd rather figure out the entire weapon before divulging them.)

I dunno why this needs an entire thread if we're just gonna talk about one spoiler. Be better to have a thread simply dedicated to ALL spoilers and then people can indulge their curiosity completely. (Naturally, having lots of warnings is a must.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 17:35 »

Yeap, we can cross off the lava pits from the 'wait for people to discover it' list >)

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 21:14 »

I've never even seen Medical Armor work. I'm sure it's not bugged, it's just set to too low a benefit to be worth carting around. A possible way to rebalance it might be lower protection to 1, movement penalty to 10%, start it with 200% durability, and let it bring you up to 50% or so at a rate of a few points per second. Helpful on the earlier floors as-is, and with power or agility mods still useful later on - without upgrades, though, I don't think anyone here would wear green armor or an equivalent through the Hellgate. Tactical maybe. The heal seems to be set too low to be worth caring about on anything but AoHu.

But I"m really not a balance expert, so I could be completely wrong.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Storm Magus

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 21:39 »

I could try to put in new lava pits spoilers if you like, Game Hunter, but all that seems to be new, really is

1) there is a new boss (lava elemental)

2) said boss drops something potentially quite important

Also, had I known how the thing worked, I would have had my first full win on my hands pretty much guaranteed :/ . Oh well, next time for sure, then.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 00:35 »

Life Support Armour
Unique Armour
Inventory description: An armour with a medikit built-in.
Protection: 2
Durability: 150%
Move Speed: -10%
Knockback: +0%
Special: Heals you by 1HP/sec. When amount healed reaches 100HP armor eats a large medpack. If a small medpack used at full health armour gets a small boost to durability.
Regeneration. Useful sometimes.

I've once suggested that thingy that boosts your medpack eating ability, and gives you the chance to heal in battle, while having almost identical to blue armor stats. As for me, this armor has more obvious and useful properties than the current medical armor. If 1 HP/sec is too few to make it really worthy, this number should be upped.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Sihoiba

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30 »

I've not faced it on anything other than HNTR but does the Lava Elemental do anything other that teleport around and eventually die to sufficient damage?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:55 »

I've not faced it on anything other than HNTR but does the Lava Elemental do anything other that teleport around and eventually die to sufficient damage?
It has a fire-type damage, I think it's about the equivalent of a single Mancubus attack except it has accuracy. It doesn't seem to do it all that often, but the guy's got a LOT of HP on higher levels.

I could try to put in new lava pits spoilers if you like, Game Hunter, but all that seems to be new, really is

1) there is a new boss (lava elemental)

2) said boss drops something potentially quite important

Also, had I known how the thing worked, I would have had my first full win on my hands pretty much guaranteed :/ . Oh well, next time for sure, then.
Which is why this didn't seem like it warranted an thread dedicated specifically TO the Lava Pits. But maybe I'm just a little obsessive when it comes to proper organization.

Also, considering it's a guarantee if you can best the Lava Pits, you should get it done right even on your next good run.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]