Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: News from the Forge vol. 2: DoomRL 0.9.9.3 BETA status thread  (Read 9593 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

...nobody expects Spanish Polish developers!

Well, we can safely said that it was fast. Very fast. In less than a month since the release of .9.9.2 the beta of a new version found its way into the hands of the trusted (that is those who donated, in case you are new to this thread). You did not see that coming, did you?

Well, anyway, DoomRL 0.9.9.3 BETA 1 is currently being tested, and it has already brought huge changes to the very foundations of the goriest and most doomish rougelike that is- but, first thing first.

Bugfixes
Not much of them, a few bugs concerning assemblies has been squish under His mighty coding feet, but apart from that, nothing. Mostly due to the fact that .9.9.2 is still fresh, and bug-reports from it are still flowing in. We can safely guess that He is just waiting for Bug Report forum to swell a bit before embarking on code mistakes expunging crusade!
Any claims of Him being just lazy are considered major heresy and hold a punishment consisting, but not limited to a) tweaking RNG so that it spawns numberless Viles upon the infidels, b) auto da fe, c) boiling alive in vegetable oil. Fear the Inquisition!)

New Features
The new beta brings many, many new exciting things for all DoomRL players, including:
  • Additions and changes to level and room generation- much needed and much neglected. The rooms of DoomRL will never be the same- the fights will be no wrought upon and among mighty crates, rivers of water, magma and acid and so on and so on
  • New level events... I won't spoil. I will just show you:
    Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    And that is only the very tip of the iceberg.
  • Raising the level cap to 25- mostly for Ao100 players out there, to have something to grind for on later levels
  • In addition to above, the trait caps behave somewhat different now- don't ask me how, though. Sufficient to say that experienced marines will have rather insane abilities.
  • Two new medals
  • One more inventory slot
  • Last but not least- 4 new exotics, 2 uniques.

As you can see, changes are many- and that is the mere beginning. So stay tuned for next issues of the News... and if you want to see the changes NOW, be kind to Kornel, His Divine Majesty and donate something. He will appreciate it!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 17:16 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: News from the Forge vol. 2: DoomRL 0.9.9.3 BETA status thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 15:21 »

Epic D:
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:38 »

I wasn't expecting it so fast.

This new schedule's doing a lot to convince me to donate... when I get other things taken care of, anyway.

And that level event brings two things to mind:

1. Acid's normally monotone green. Curious.
2. So does this mean envirosuit packs are going to be important now?
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13 »

Acid, Water, and Lava will all look a bit cooler.

There will certainly be a reason to keep a spare envirosuit pack, if there isn't one already.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:16 »

I wasn't expecting it so fast.

This new schedule's doing a lot to convince me to donate... when I get other things taken care of, anyway.

And that level event brings two things to mind:

Yes.
I computed, therefore I was.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

And here it is, slightly late, but still faster than ever. Or so they say, anyway. DoomRL 0.9.9.3 BETA IIb (why b, I do not desire to dwell). Of course, you can play it right now if you have donated... and if you did not, well, you can always read this report. On a sidenote: the development of DoomRL II is slowly, but inevitably starting, and all the beta testers can take part in a huge brainstorm going on in the Tavern of Chaos.

Not to waste your time, here go the changes:

Bugfixes
None that would concern not-beta users. DoomRL is currently pretty much bug-free (the bugs introduced in previous versions have all been eradicated by Almighty Kornel in the last beta, if I may remind you. However, a few balance and fun tweaks I think fall under the purview of bugfixing: mostly minor rebalances.

New Features
Numerous, of course:
  • More and more changes to the level generator: crates are now brightly coloured and easily breakable, you can find bridges and such... the game room will never be plain again, I am telling you!
  • New powerup, that is the Tracing Map. Useful little thing!
  • New badges and medals, including Armorer Badge line and many more.
  • New assemblies: plate armor, tactical shotgun and some advanced ones I do not happen to know.
  • Last but not least, not in a smallest bit: AI overhaul! So far, it has hit only a few types of demons (namely: demons, lost souls and associated angels of death), but it is only the beginning! Fear no more being overwhelmed by the stupidity of your foes!

Not much to say beside what was already written. The beta testers are working at full capacity, and I can assure you that the entirety of ChaosForge is developing like crazy in those hidden forums... want access to them? Hint hint, donate.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

And here we go again, people! DoomRL 0.9.9.3 BETA 3 is out to betatesting team (want to join? Donate. No, really). And with it, the prospect of public release looms even closer (Almighty Kornel states that this will be final or pre-final beta, and there will be only release candidates, so it is not unlikely, or else, should I say that is very likely that we will see public release before the end of April).

No big changes though, major features were either already covered, or will be added in final beta- so, to keep things terse:

Bugfixes
If you have considered the imbalance of Ammochain a bug, then it was fixed, without major nerfings (rejoice!). Also, a minor bug concerning BB screenshots while under the influence of InvGlobes and similar effects was squashed.

New Features
A few:
  • Additions to special levels, even more: now with more Halls of Carnage and City of Skull!
  • New track, by our wondrous Simon-v added to the game, heatable in the Lava Pits!
  • A lot of fixes to challanges and game balance in general, even beside MAc fix.
  • This!
  • Also, people, rejoice, Hell's Armory is now guaranteed to spawn on HNTR+

Well, that would be all. It would appear that it became a custom in this thread to urge you to donate in afterwords, so I will do so here again: donate. I may not reveal it yet, but there is a huge chance that you will see some pretty major goodies given to you all if you do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 15:54 by Gargulec »

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

Well. I could write a lot about it (probably), but is there a reason to do so? Why not just say that DoomRL Release Candidate 1 is out to donators? Because yes, yes it is. And while the changes are again minimal, it heralds a very important thing: new release is mere days from today- Almighty Kornel says that it will surely happen before the end of April... So, do not despair, people of ChaosForge, new version of our favourite RL is nigh!

Bugfixes
This RC is mostly about them. Number of very obscure and rarely occuring bugs was squashed, including the infamous Angelic Set glitch.

New Features
A few:
  • Access to Assemblies screen in-game
  • Win 95/98 compatibility
  • A configurable timestamp format for mortem and screenshot folder (and a sensible default)

It will be few more days before it goes public, and if you really can't wait, donate. CF needs you!

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile

Will I be able to just copy my config files over? If not can we get a list of config file changes added to the package? The last version took me far too long to get everything back in order and stop spiting errors.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

AFAIR, there was little to none changes in cofing files, but don't hold my word to it.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 04:56 »

There's at least one that I can think of, the mortem timestamp option that was just added.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 22:03 »

Will I be able to just copy my config files over? If not can we get a list of config file changes added to the package? The last version took me far too long to get everything back in order and stop spiting errors.
config.lua:
Code: [Select]
-- Mortem and screenshot timestamp format
-- Format : http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/sysutils/formatchars.html
-- note that / and : will be converted to "-" due to filesystem issues
TimeStamp        = "yyyy/mm/dd hh:nn:ss"

keybindings.lua:
Code: [Select]
    A         = function() command.assemblies() end,

N         = function()
                    if not command.use_item("smed") then
                        ui.msg("No small med-packs left!")
                    end,

And, of course, music.lua has some changes related to my music tracks, but everyone should use (and therefore manually bind) the OGG versions anyway.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 12:58 »

RC 2 has been released, the public release date has been shifted though to May 1,2 or 3 so we can properly test that everything is in order before release!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

StarStorm

• Gold Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
  • Feline Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 06:33 »

Thank you, Kornel. I have more time to finish UV!
0.9.9.2: HB 1L. (3-2/6-3/3-1/0/0)

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile

oh, what an awful time to have computer issues (DoomRL is causing hard freezes now, feels like a video card problem as nothing should have changed - but Super Meat Boy is not, and that works the machine harder)
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]
Pages: [1] 2  All