Other Roguelikes > DiabloRL

Should DiabloRL's data files be kept open?

(1/3) > >>

Kornel Kisielewicz:
Okay, as you all probably know, the data files for Diablo are "open" - that is you can edit them as you like, and make the game ridiculously easy for example. Not to mention spoiling yourself to death ^_^. I don't know what to do with that (if anything) - lately I recieved a DiabloRL fanmail, that *demanded* I close the files.

Reasons for keeping open:
* Modding!
* Easy to read spoilers

Reasons for closing:
* Avoiding spoilers
* Avoiding fake mortems
* Avoiding cheating
* Keeping unsolved secrets :)
* More of a mystery

Cast your vote and comment!

schnaader:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on November 27, 2006, 02:18 ---Reasons for keeping open:
* Modding!
* Easy to read spoilers

Reasons for closing:
* Avoiding spoilers
* Avoiding fake mortems
* Avoiding cheating
* Keeping unsolved secrets :)
* More of a mystery

Cast your vote and comment!

--- End quote ---

I think that data files should be kept open because of the reasons you mentioned above (modding, spoilers).

Some of the closing reasons could be bypassed:

Avoiding cheating and Avoiding fake mortems by checking if data files are the original ones (checksum or something like this). If they wouldn't be, run DiabloRL, but in a "modded" mode, so that the scores are shown in a different way and don't appear in the highscore (as soon as there is one).

Keeping unsolved secrets :) could be bypassed by hard-coding them in the .EXE-file (or putting them into a seperate encrypted data file) and only revealing them into the original data file when the secret is solved by the player (or never).

Avoiding spoilers and More of a mystery are weak arguments, I think. Being spoiled is a personal choice and if you don't want to be spoiled, you don't need to look into the data files. Same with the mystery thing for me. You can still seperate the world inside the game from the outside (the data files), so the mystery is maintained.

Greetings,
  Christian "schnaader" Schneider
---
http://schnaader.info
Damn kids. They're all alike.

Kornel Kisielewicz:
Funny that you voted "No" :)

As for your arguments -- keeping unresolved secrets -- hardcoding in the exe-file is a real mess in the code, considering that all other data are in ini files.

schnaader:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on November 28, 2006, 06:30 ---Funny that you voted "No" :)

--- End quote ---

Oops! After reading the post, I thought of the fanmail demand to close the file and didn't read the poll topic again. If it is possible, please someone change this to "Yes" (I didn't find a way to do it myself - is it possible?).

However, I was sure to be voting right because of the majority of people voted "No"... I am surprised by this and it would be interesting to hear more opinions about it.

Kornel Kisielewicz:

--- Quote from: schnaader on November 28, 2006, 07:08 ---Oops! After reading the post, I thought of the fanmail demand to close the file and didn't read the poll topic again. If it is possible, please someone change this to "Yes" (I didn't find a way to do it myself - is it possible?).

--- End quote ---
I modified the poll to allow changing of vote.

--- Quote from: schnaader on November 28, 2006, 07:08 ---However, I was sure to be voting right because of the majority of people voted "No"... I am surprised by this and it would be interesting to hear more opinions about it.

--- End quote ---
Well it seems that majority doesn't always vote for freedom :).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version