Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.2] Imps vs Imps  (Read 2815 times)

Sradac

• Corporal
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.2] Imps vs Imps
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:35 »

I'm not 100% if this is a bug or not, but as I recall, in previous versions imps fireballs could not hurt other imps (just like vanilla Doom) but as of 0.9.9.2 I have watched several imps injure and even kill other imps with their fireballs.

Maybe its just me but I could have swore they didnt used to do this, if they did, I think it should be changed.  Would make a throng of imps that much more deadly.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.2] Imps vs Imps
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33 »

You are wrong, actually, I can assure you that Imps did injure themselves in previous versions- I have exploited it a lot in AoB runs, and frankly, would be quite sad to see it fixed.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 14:34 »

I'm pretty sure in the FPS, projectiles from the same monster do hurt a little, but it won't cause them to start fighting with each other.

Either way, it kinda sorta makes sense that a ball of fire hitting a hellspawn in the face does damage.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 19:40 »

Well, according to ZDoom at any rate, monsters don't hurt other monsters of the same species at all. No special flags seem to be needed - it's the default behaviour for monster projectiles. Nor in Chocolate Doom do they seem to hurt each other.

Again, it's a decision on logic or Doomishness. I'd say logic, but hey - I'm just the guy who checks to see whether DooMRL is being consistent with (Z)Doom :P

bleak

• Lance Corporal
  • Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 22:47 »

That's not entirely accurate. Imp fireballs won't hurt imps, Baron and Hell Knight plasma won't hurt either, Arach plasma won't hurt Arachs, Cacos won't hurt cacos, and so forth. However, all former humans can hurt any other former humans, and the spider mastermind can hurt other spider masterminds. And all melee attacks hurt all monsters regardless of the source.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:16 »

Currently we don't have an AI system for monster infighting, so as a substitute, damage in this fashion will continue to exist. When a monster infighting system is added, that would be the time to address this issue.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49 »

That's not entirely accurate. Imp fireballs won't hurt imps, Baron and Hell Knight plasma won't hurt either, Arach plasma won't hurt Arachs, Cacos won't hurt cacos, and so forth. However, all former humans can hurt any other former humans, and the spider mastermind can hurt other spider masterminds. And all melee attacks hurt all monsters regardless of the source.
Note I said 'projectiles'. Hitscans don't have such protection.

Edit: Well, the first sentence could have been misleading, but the second sentence mentions the projectiles, so it's fairly clear that's what I meant.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:50 by Generic »
Pages: [1]