Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444472 times)

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sniper mod pack on shotgun
« Reply #1095 on: January 22, 2018, 08:56 »

i dont really like plasmatic shotguns outside of nightmare games. the added damage is nice but too often ends up burning through my cover when im corner shooting
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

edio

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 22, 2018, 13:39 »

If your only reason for not putting it on the Rocket Launcher is that you're hoping for a Missile Launcher, then I'd say just go ahead and put it on the Rocket Launcher.  Missile Launchers are a rare drop; it's unlikely that you'll find one in Ao100.

Already understood that. Decided to drop one of the medpacks and go hold sniper pack for a while. Found double shotgun later, modded it. Later found P and made PS.

And I'm still alive. PS is really helpful.

Although wide shotgun spread is not as useful in Ao100 as in normal game (this was the only reliable way for me to pass city of skulls).

edio

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 22, 2018, 13:44 »

i dont really like plasmatic shotguns outside of nightmare games. the added damage is nice but too often ends up burning through my cover when im corner shooting

Didn't like it too at first. But that was before I realized, that one is not limited to a single shotgun. Having 2 shotguns in normal game is actually a very rare thing for me, I ususally do not have time to assemble both, but in Ao100 I already have Tactical + P, and Double + PS. Tactical is my main weapon (still... but with every level it renders more and more useless frankly), and Double + PS is useful when I need to make a small hole in a wall or kill nightmare demons.

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 23, 2018, 00:31 »

Missile Launchers are a rare drop; it's unlikely that you'll find one in Ao100.

Unless you're me, in which case you'll find three of them outside the special levels in a normal game, while you don't want to use it :|

Anyway, anyone have the answers to these prior questions of mine?

Can someone give me a thorough breakdown on how damage from Rocket Launchers work? I've read that their actual damage output is lower than what their programmed damage values would normally entail, and my experience in the game seems to support that statement, however I can't find an explanation on how it works and how one can more accurately calculate their damage output. Reading the explosions page on the wiki hasn't helped me with this; I thought maybe damage is calculated after knockback is incurred (and thus they take less damage from being farther away from the explosion center), but according to the explosions page there's a pretty generous range of 3 steps from center until damage dropoff begins, so I don't know if that's the actual explanation on why RLs do less damage (and I also don't particularly recall monsters against walls dying faster to them).

Another thing confusing me on RL damage output is that on the wiki's Rocket launcher and Missile launcher pages, their average damage is listed as 21, while the Tactical rocket launcher page states its average damage is 15, even though it still has 6d6 damage. Is it something with its smaller explosion radius causing less damage? Is it simply a math error made by an editor that was never fixed? Or is that the actual average from 6d6 rocket damage, and the math used to find it was never applied to all the Rocket Launcher pages?

Another question I can't seem to find the answer to on the wiki; when resistances factor in, how is the reduced damage result rounded?
Badges - [26|26|26|17|5|0]
Medals - 35/43

Amnesiac

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #1099 on: February 03, 2018, 02:29 »

Is nano plasma shotgun not gibbing corpses a bug that I should report?

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 03, 2018, 04:29 »

Is nano plasma shotgun not gibbing corpses a bug that I should report?
Unlikely. Plasma weapons need to deal quite a lot of damage to gib a living enemy (200% max health). As for corspes, shotguns in general do not damage corpses who were dead before the attack, only explosions do.
Unless there is something very specific going on, it's probably not a bug. And, with a stall of D***RL development, there's probably no one who would fix a bug anyway ...
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Amnesiac

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 03, 2018, 04:58 »

Thanks. Well, the original plasma shotgun or plasmatic one does gib corpses, seems to always work from any range. But once I added another P to my PN plasma shotgun and made it into assembly it supposedly turned to non-plasmatic shrapnel type as I understand it.
Making it into assembly isn't even critical as it has capacity for 10 shots and I mostly used it for gibbing in an ao666 game, but I wanted less waiting.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 03, 2018, 05:32 »

Thanks. Well, the original plasma shotgun or plasmatic one does gib corpses, seems to always work from any range. But once I added another P to my PN plasma shotgun and made it into assembly it supposedly turned to non-plasmatic shrapnel type as I understand it.
Making it into assembly isn't even critical as it has capacity for 10 shots and I mostly used it for gibbing in an ao666 game, but I wanted less waiting.
Ah, that makes it clear then.
PN-plasma shotgun works just fine, as you mentioned, but by adding another P mod (and not cancelling the following "Do you want to create the assembly?" prompt) you created a nano-shrapnel shotgun assembly, which changes the damage type to Piercing (without regard to original damage). Piercing damage doesn't gib corpses at all.
If you had cancelled the "create assembly" prompt, you would end up with a PPN-plasma shotgun, as you probably wished. If you did not receive such a prompt at all, that would be a bug.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Amnesiac

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 03, 2018, 05:40 »

If it's really piercing damage, then it's pretty cool as the loss of 3 dices isn't as big, that's good to know. Wiki says "original shotgun blast" so I confused it with the damage type, it does say piercing damage now that I look closer. I intentionally assembled it, so no bug there.

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 03, 2018, 06:59 »

Wiki says "original shotgun blast" so I confused it with the damage type

By that it means it keeps the type of shotgun blast the shotgun previously had, e.g. a Double Shotgun will still have a wide blast, a Combat Shotgun will have a focused blast, a Plasma Shotgun will have a plasma blast (which despite the name, does not necessarily equate to plasma-type damage), etc.
Badges - [26|26|26|17|5|0]
Medals - 35/43

Amnesiac

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 06, 2018, 08:16 »

There is another supposed bug I've encountered a few times but paid attention to only today: with sufficient knockback of phaseshift set aoe attacks often just knock you back and deal 0 damage. Or is this a feature of the set? Also will make clear that the message was "you are hit" not "you dodge".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:17 by Amnesiac »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #1106 on: February 06, 2018, 09:13 »

I'm not sure about the application of knockback and damage reduction from aoe attacks, but to rule out the most obvious thing that springs to mind: does this happen when you have the Survivalist trait?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Amnesiac

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 06, 2018, 09:17 »

No, I'm a scavenger, it happens on all aoe attacks quite often, on revenants, viles or barons, I suspect that the damage is applied after knockback so it hits nothing. Might also have something to do with dodging from hellrunner.

UPD: I took some hits for research, does seem happen about half of the time with hellrunner*3. Seems to be combination of dodging and knockback.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:51 by Amnesiac »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 06, 2018, 13:26 »

Pretty sure it's a bug...  It comes up every once in a while when someone gets knocked back at a particular angle.  (I've witnessed it happen to enemies too; like someone getting knocked back by a shotgun, but taking no damage from it)  I've never investigated it enough to figure out what that angle is and/or take advantage of it, but I think it has something to do with the game engine scanning the level line by line, trying to figure out what got damaged and what got knocked back and having someone get knocked back into a section that already got checked.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Amnesiac

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 06, 2018, 14:48 »

Well, that didn't happen to me without knockback modification, also it happens really often and where I'm not sure the angle matters, like viles' attack. This game was full of weirdness, because sometimes those projectiles of barons would explode(painfully) right on my tile without me being knocked away at all...

But that reminds me about another bug, I think sometimes you can shoot through walls at some angle.

UPD: I just tried some max carnage+overconfidence and I can say that probably just the power of knockback matters. My unarmored/barefeet tech flies away from revenants' rockets unscathed all the time, unless there is a wall behind me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:06 by Amnesiac »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 79