Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444043 times)

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #1140 on: March 07, 2020, 19:06 »

I personally find that spoilers enhance my enjoyment of a game, so I am thoroughly spoiled :).

The tedium of the Technician/Heroic/Armor badges are exactly what I want to avoid.  It kind of sounds like the badges it's possible to get with any reliability top out at gold then?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 08, 2020, 00:20 »

Depends on your definition of "reliability". Quite a number of Platinum badges are not all that luck-reliant, if still very hard. Veteran and Marksman Platinum are quite doable, for example.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 08, 2020, 15:15 »

Regarding UAC Diamond, I made a video of myself achieving it once with a Blademaster build.  20 minutes is more time than you may realize, so you don't necessarily have to rush for the whole thing.  As for how many tries it took, I have 28 videos on my hard drive of attempts at it, though most of them are short and fail near the beginning.

As for easier high tier badges, Shottyman Angelic is easily the easiest Angelic badge.  Maybe try for that one next?
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 09, 2020, 06:04 »

agreed nightmare speed run with melee build isnt too bad. the cyberdemon and mastermind are pushovers against a chainsaw with berserk

veteran angelic when done with angel of max carnage isn't luck based at all really. doing a scout auto build (the mortem i posted on here is masterless but i can't recall why i went that route exactly) will get you heavy powered chainguns early on which you can usually mod into a gatling gun, one shotting a great deal of early monsters. once you get the plasma gun you can turn it into the hyperblaster which melts through all the late game stuff with no problem. the trick of nightmare is corpse placement - you'll want to kill stuff in doorways, on liquids, or on top of other corpses to get rid of them, which does require a bit of patiences in getting the feel for exactly how many shots you need to kill something, and considering knockback if you're using shotguns. max carnage makes this easier because not only are your guns stronger, but takes out the dice roll guessing
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 11, 2020, 20:53 »

Regarding UAC Diamond, I made a video of myself achieving it once with a Blademaster build.  20 minutes is more time than you may realize, so you don't necessarily have to rush for the whole thing.  As for how many tries it took, I have 28 videos on my hard drive of attempts at it, though most of them are short and fail near the beginning.

As for easier high tier badges, Shottyman Angelic is easily the easiest Angelic badge.  Maybe try for that one next?

I had actually watched your video before my post :).  28 attempts is a lot less than I spent trying and failing to get it, so that suggests I'm just bad, and that's okay, if I die due to being dumb I deserve it.  What frustrates me is the feeling like I lost due to RNG, and 1/28 still isn't great for that---it sounds like you lost a lot of games early on.

Sounds like Shottyman Angelic, Diamond Speedrun, and Platinum Centurial are my best shots.

veteran angelic when done with angel of max carnage isn't luck based at all really. doing a scout auto build (the mortem i posted on here is masterless but i can't recall why i went that route exactly) will get you heavy powered chainguns early on which you can usually mod into a gatling gun, one shotting a great deal of early monsters. once you get the plasma gun you can turn it into the hyperblaster which melts through all the late game stuff with no problem. the trick of nightmare is corpse placement - you'll want to kill stuff in doorways, on liquids, or on top of other corpses to get rid of them, which does require a bit of patiences in getting the feel for exactly how many shots you need to kill something, and considering knockback if you're using shotguns. max carnage makes this easier because not only are your guns stronger, but takes out the dice roll guessing

Not wanting to waste time on corpse-stacking is a big part of the reason Nightmare doesn't hold much appeal for me.

Speaking of RNG, I'm sick of Phobos Base Entry.  It's so boring, and a good chunk of the configurations seem to be impossible to approach without taking a shotgun blast to the face.  I end up quitting here most of the time because it's so easy to go down to 50% health with both medkits used by the sergeants, and it's faster to just reroll it for better luck than to hope Phobos 2 gives enough health globes/medkits.  Is there some reliable way to do it so I don't have to waste so much time on it?

The other level that seems incredibly luck-based is Chained Court (after the Arena).  I have promising runs die there all the time.  Is there a reliable way to do it that doesn't take an hour?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 11, 2020, 21:15 »

on UV chained court+ is a breeze with a melee build. other builds you'll have to play a delicate game with the barons, shooting them in the doors, lava, or close enough to the walls where you can burn them with the rocket launcher. one tactic that works decently enough of the time is rocketing a hole in the upper left corner as to not destroy the berserk packs, and just charging the barons after you get the chainsaw. it sounds kind of counterintuitive but being berserk gives you good resistance against the barons attacks, and if you can bring them down without having to use all the packs, you can save the last pack for the arena master
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 14, 2020, 22:30 »

on UV chained court+ is a breeze with a melee build. other builds you'll have to play a delicate game with the barons, shooting them in the doors, lava, or close enough to the walls where you can burn them with the rocket launcher. one tactic that works decently enough of the time is rocketing a hole in the upper left corner as to not destroy the berserk packs, and just charging the barons after you get the chainsaw. it sounds kind of counterintuitive but being berserk gives you good resistance against the barons attacks, and if you can bring them down without having to use all the packs, you can save the last pack for the arena master

Basically you're saying that the only way to consistently beat Chained Court is with a melee build?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 15, 2020, 05:26 »

i think its the easiest, though even without a melee build, you should use chainsaw and  a berserk pack for the end fight with the arena master because the berserk will give you really good resistances and even with out brute traits, chainsaw with berserk strength will cut through the arena master pretty quickly - just make sure to time it so it doesn't run out in the middle of combat
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

CrashGordon94

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 21, 2020, 16:04 »

Okay so, I looked in the "mortem" folder in my game folder and it has loads of files from 2016 and earlier but no later even though I've played a load of games since then.

The readme in the folder says to edit the doomrl.ini file and how, but I see no such file. What's going on?

I have moved computers but I'm pretty sure I carried everything over.

And if I may ask a second question, playing Entrenchment Technician and got a Laser Rifle and a Nano Mod. I was thinking of of Eagle Eye and Intuition after Whizkid (grabbing both WK levels after my Master). If I have a Nanomachic Laser Rifle, will EE even really help? If it won't improve my damage output I'll probably just look at other Traits to boost my offence and defence further.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 16:55 by CrashGordon94 »

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 22, 2020, 01:13 »

I wonder, does AoPc really require a megaton of reloading to ever get finished? I have spent a good deal of 4h this morning to be able to finish one AoPc (mind you, I went for UV AoPc, with best attempt ended at bruiser brothers, I couldn't past them even with running - maybe I'm doing it wrong?), in the end I went for AoPc+AoOC UV and did 50 more rerolls for a non-revenant start and stuff.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

CrashGordon94

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34 »

I wonder, does AoPc really require a megaton of reloading to ever get finished? I have spent a good deal of 4h this morning to be able to finish one AoPc (mind you, I went for UV AoPc, with best attempt ended at bruiser brothers, I couldn't past them even with running - maybe I'm doing it wrong?), in the end I went for AoPc+AoOC UV and did 50 more rerolls for a non-revenant start and stuff.

I haven't done the challenge but Angel of Pacifism is marked as "Easy", I figure it might be more down to the combo you chose, that you have fewer floors and thus fewer "free" levels from heading down staircases, plus the game compensates the later start with giving you better weapons which you're now barred from using.

Sounds like a rough combos with the two compounding on each other painfully.

CrashGordon94

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 31, 2020, 10:43 »

Okay, I've got some more questions:

1) On weapon restricted/Pacifist challenges, can you still nuke with the Nuclear Plasma Rifle/Nuclear BFG/Trigun? Haven't tried it but don't want to do anything that relies on it without knowing.

2) I've tried starting Angel of Pacifism as a Scout but I can't seem to see the stairs? Angel of Red Alert says areas can't be scouted, but AoPc doesn't say that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #1152 on: April 01, 2020, 00:31 »

2) I've tried starting Angel of Pacifism as a Scout but I can't seem to see the stairs? Angel of Red Alert says areas can't be scouted, but AoPc doesn't say that.

Yeah, that's not a bug. Stair sense was considered akin to cheating on this challenge, so it was disabled.

As for the other two, it's been too long and I never got into the game enough to give you the answers.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 01, 2020, 00:32 »

1. Yes, you can. If you find them of course. I recall being able to nuke with Trigun on AoSh.
2. Weird, it indeed is not written anywhere but really scout's stair sense is disabled on AoPc. Not sure if intended or just mis-described.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And a question at your side:
How to deal with IMPS on AoB? Anything else and I can cornershoot em into oblivion, with AoB I can only whack them, and they too often can either hit me in return (with MVm as target I'm always slower than them!) or even shoot at me while I can't see them, say if I'm hiding my @$$ behind a door shifted to the side. And they hurt, especially at level 2 and 3 when you are not yet berserking from attacks, and they are too dam many to simply ignore and try to dodge - again it's hard to dodge them without HR. Ultra-Violence implied.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 01, 2020, 07:17 »

imps and moreso demons are definitely the biggest nuisance on early levels of AOB - if you can maneuver them in front of a sergeant and let them take care of the kill for you, this works best although a bit luck based. if you're forced to fight, go in run mode before you get into melee range, which gives you huge dodge bonuses
[26/26/24/20/7/2]
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79