Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 01:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 442503 times)

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 14:32 »

How does wall-breaking work?  I know you need explosive or plasma damage, but I'm not sure how much.

When you only have one shell in your double shotgun, what happens when you fire normally?  Do you get the triple blast?  If not, how about the super shotgun (since that doesn't have a single-fire)?

Thanks.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

bleak

• Lance Corporal
  • Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 12:13 »

How much time does it take to switch to a prepared weapon? How about an unprepared weapon (by pressing the number keys)?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 12:28 »

How does wall-breaking work?  I know you need explosive or plasma damage, but I'm not sure how much.
The HP/armor of walls hasn't been checked lately, although I'm imagine the stats are there. Some people can check these (or maybe Kornel could just tell us) so I hope they will respond to you. I've found that you need something like ~12 plasma damage to successfully deal damage to a wall, although destroying it means you need to damage it enough times. As for fire, I know that micro launcher (5d5) often only breaks one or two walls out of every ten, but the typical RL (6d6) usually gets around half.

When you only have one shell in your double shotgun, what happens when you fire normally?  Do you get the triple blast?  If not, how about the super shotgun (since that doesn't have a single-fire)?
Using the alt-fire on a double shotgun uses an attack like a single shotgun, except with the double's spread/range (which is to say, worse). There's very little reason to use it unless your double is heavily modded and would therefore be better than a shotgun. It's mostly for ammo conservation purposes or if you can't easily swap to a better weapon.

How much time does it take to switch to a prepared weapon? How about an unprepared weapon (by pressing the number keys)?
Swapping is 8 turns (0.8s) between equipped/prepped slot. I would assume that quickkeys are a typical 10-turn (1.0s) but, since they are included in Juggler benefits, it's worth checking out. If you want to self-test this, do the following:

- Use @ to check turn count
- Leave, info screen, Swap via quickkey
- Check turn count again
- Count(final) - Count(initial) = turns needed

You can do this to check anything, really. For unviewable turn counts, and a lot of other neat stuff, this Wiki page has a lot to offer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:34 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

bleak

• Lance Corporal
  • Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 12:57 »

Ah, thanks for the tip. As it turns out, quickkeys too take 0.8s to switch to. The more you know! Now I know to keep an extra chaingun handy instead of just reloading it.

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 16:01 »

Using the alt-fire on a double shotgun uses an attack like a single shotgun, except with the double's spread/range (which is to say, worse). There's very little reason to use it unless your double is heavily modded and would therefore be better than a shotgun. It's mostly for ammo conservation purposes or if you can't easily swap to a better weapon.

What I meant there was using the normal-fire when you have only one shell loaded.  experimentally, I think you just get a single-Fire but I'm not sure.  And that makes me wonder about the super shotgun, since it doesn't have single-Fire.

thanks for the wall info, hopefully somebody with more exact details comes by.

interesting that quickkeys are also quick, I thought they were just for juggler!  though you still can't use them to avoid a reload unless you are juggler (prepare, drop empty, prepare new will take 2.1, better to just equip from inventory)
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 17:00 »

Yeah, firing off all your rounds of a chaingun and trying to quickswap to the chaingun in your inventory doesn't work. Quickswap always puts the gun with the lowest amount of ammo left into your prepared slot to avoid abuse.

But one from your inventory in 1.0secs isn't bad considering the normal reload time of chainguns. Or shotguns/rocket launchers for that matter.

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26 »

But one from your inventory in 1.0secs isn't bad considering the normal reload time of chainguns. Or shotguns/rocket launchers for that matter.

If I'm using a combat shotgun and I don't have shottyman (not always efficient to move even if I do), I often draw a spare. If I'm under enough pressure that five shots didn't solve the problem, I sure don't want to be reloading individual shells when I can just whip out a fresh gun.

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 02:18 »

This is bugging me 'cause I'm only missing 2 specials: How do you get Azrael's Scythe? I did what the wiki said (100% kills, HMP difficulty) but Longinus spawned as normal. :/

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 02:31 »

In the current version of the game, it's a percentage chance that the Scythe will spawn. It won't be random in the next version.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 00:14 »

Ao100 doesn't have access to special levels... the only places things like the chainsaw and the backpack can be found. Can you still get them somehow?

And why isn't there a general 'ask a question, get an answer' thread here?
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Aoi

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 00:39 »

No backpack, but a few versions back, you could find the chainsaw. It's actually just an ordinary exotic that happens to have a guaranteed spawn in the normal mode.

Edit: Confirmed, you can still find the chainsaw randomly in the latest version. Happened to find this specific one on... Phobos Hell L21 in an Ao100 run.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:12 by Aoi »

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 02:59 »

Oho... it must be pretty incredibly rare, then, as I've never seen it outside of the Chained Court in any of my dozens of games.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 05:39 »

Wild chainsaws are not likely to occur in normal games -- it is only in Ao100 that you have a much higher chance of seeing it.

As for the backpack, no, you do not see it wild ever.  Come to think of it, has anyone seen a BFG9000 in the wild for Ao100 or any other game modes?
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 05:56 »

Hah. I found one mid-game in one of my first 0993 runs.
And the interesting thing is that I, however, did not find a cleaver yet. :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 19:07 »

Very rare wild backpacks in Ao100 would be kind of cool.

And AoD spawns that drop the Longinus Spear if you kill him without shooting a single bullet at him.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 79