DoomRL > Discussion

Quick questions thread!

<< < (4/237) > >>

rchandra:
How does wall-breaking work?  I know you need explosive or plasma damage, but I'm not sure how much.

When you only have one shell in your double shotgun, what happens when you fire normally?  Do you get the triple blast?  If not, how about the super shotgun (since that doesn't have a single-fire)?

Thanks.

bleak:
How much time does it take to switch to a prepared weapon? How about an unprepared weapon (by pressing the number keys)?

Game Hunter:

--- Quote from: rchandra on March 01, 2011, 14:32 ---How does wall-breaking work?  I know you need explosive or plasma damage, but I'm not sure how much.
--- End quote ---
The HP/armor of walls hasn't been checked lately, although I'm imagine the stats are there. Some people can check these (or maybe Kornel could just tell us) so I hope they will respond to you. I've found that you need something like ~12 plasma damage to successfully deal damage to a wall, although destroying it means you need to damage it enough times. As for fire, I know that micro launcher (5d5) often only breaks one or two walls out of every ten, but the typical RL (6d6) usually gets around half.

--- Quote from: rchandra on March 01, 2011, 14:32 ---When you only have one shell in your double shotgun, what happens when you fire normally?  Do you get the triple blast?  If not, how about the super shotgun (since that doesn't have a single-fire)?
--- End quote ---
Using the alt-fire on a double shotgun uses an attack like a single shotgun, except with the double's spread/range (which is to say, worse). There's very little reason to use it unless your double is heavily modded and would therefore be better than a shotgun. It's mostly for ammo conservation purposes or if you can't easily swap to a better weapon.

--- Quote from: bleak on March 02, 2011, 12:13 ---How much time does it take to switch to a prepared weapon? How about an unprepared weapon (by pressing the number keys)?
--- End quote ---
Swapping is 8 turns (0.8s) between equipped/prepped slot. I would assume that quickkeys are a typical 10-turn (1.0s) but, since they are included in Juggler benefits, it's worth checking out. If you want to self-test this, do the following:

- Use @ to check turn count
- Leave, info screen, Swap via quickkey
- Check turn count again
- Count(final) - Count(initial) = turns needed

You can do this to check anything, really. For unviewable turn counts, and a lot of other neat stuff, this Wiki page has a lot to offer.

bleak:
Ah, thanks for the tip. As it turns out, quickkeys too take 0.8s to switch to. The more you know! Now I know to keep an extra chaingun handy instead of just reloading it.

rchandra:

--- Quote from: Game Hunter on March 02, 2011, 12:28 ---Using the alt-fire on a double shotgun uses an attack like a single shotgun, except with the double's spread/range (which is to say, worse). There's very little reason to use it unless your double is heavily modded and would therefore be better than a shotgun. It's mostly for ammo conservation purposes or if you can't easily swap to a better weapon.

--- End quote ---

What I meant there was using the normal-fire when you have only one shell loaded.  experimentally, I think you just get a single-Fire but I'm not sure.  And that makes me wonder about the super shotgun, since it doesn't have single-Fire.

thanks for the wall info, hopefully somebody with more exact details comes by.

interesting that quickkeys are also quick, I thought they were just for juggler!  though you still can't use them to avoid a reload unless you are juggler (prepare, drop empty, prepare new will take 2.1, better to just equip from inventory)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version