Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444177 times)

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #765 on: September 02, 2013, 21:58 »

MCe is a very useful general purpose Master -- that extra two range of sight can allow you to snipe things, for various definitions of snipe.

If you want to do masterless, remember to be willing to switch weapons depending on the situation.

And don't worry.  What the RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away...

Yeah, I just entered City of Skulls for the first time (This rifle and onyx armor has gotten me farther on hard mode than a tactical shotgun on medium). I have nothing but two plasma rifles, one with recharge only ammo and the other with very limited plasma cells. I'm on top of the lever. I know I ought to just skip it, but I can't. Gotta test it out. D:

I had no right surviving that. I suppose I should be thankful for the 6 small medpacks I had refreshing my tactics so I could spam Arena Master's Staff.

That said, if since I survive this, I wonder if I should triple power this onyx armor for my all around one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 22:10 by Eyro »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 02, 2013, 22:09 »

You need at least 2 kinds of weapons: general killing weapon, and one area control weapon that may be close ranged (shotgun) or far ranged (rocket launcher and family).

Masterless is literallyb about juggling those two kinds of weapons for the situations that you are meeting.  City of Skulls with Plasma rifles is doable, but you better have good reloading and ridiculously fast firing speeds.

If not, Phase devices are almost mandatory.
I computed, therefore I was.

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 02, 2013, 22:13 »

You need at least 2 kinds of weapons: general killing weapon, and one area control weapon that may be close ranged (shotgun) or far ranged (rocket launcher and family).

Masterless is literallyb about juggling those two kinds of weapons for the situations that you are meeting.  City of Skulls with Plasma rifles is doable, but you better have good reloading and ridiculously fast firing speeds.

If not, Phase devices are almost mandatory.

Nah, had one but abused Arena Master's Staff (Check my edited post). Probably used too many medpacks but kept me alive.

That said, I do think I'm gonna keep this missile launcher I found after killing them all, and go masterless but grab intuition 2 to supplement for it.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #768 on: September 03, 2013, 00:16 »

...stuff about experimental run...

Better post that mortem once you're done, I wonder how it ended. Nevermind, found it. Re: plasma guns: I've found they eat through ammo at an insane rate, the couple of times I tried working with one. Personally, I'd only plan on using one again on a MAc build (or possibly as a backup weapon on something like MSh).

And indeed, both masterless builds and master traits have their pros and cons. As long as you do at least a little thinking ahead, you can easily change course during a run if you feel like it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 00:19 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00 »

I would strongly advise you to go for a master trait as soon as possible. Most of them are really that good.

Using the staff against lost souls is kinda suboptimal, since it deals fire damage which the lost souls resist, but if it worked, who am I to argue with it? In any case, if you feel like experimenting with special levels (and you probably should, since you don't know them all yet), be sure to have a homing phase handy to make a quick escape if things go badly... not every special level can be escaped easily...

Oh, and bulk mod on a nuclear plasma rifle is a good idea, since it allows you to shoot more before waiting to recharge.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 03, 2013, 05:40 »

Here's a quick question - I was looking at the cybie entry on the wiki and holy shit - they can use items? Does that mean cybies can equip armours on Ao100? Man, that's a scary thought.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54 »

Here's a quick question - I was looking at the cybie entry on the wiki and holy shit - they can use items? Does that mean cybies can equip armours on Ao100? Man, that's a scary thought.
I believe that his "hunts player precisely" overrides his hunting for armor.
But the thought is damn scary ...
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 03, 2013, 06:01 »

I believe that his "hunts player precisely" overrides his hunting for armor.
That sounds like something we need to test more thoroughly, like, on a very serious note.

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 03, 2013, 06:07 »

I would strongly advise you to go for a master trait as soon as possible. Most of them are really that good.

Yeah, I know that much, but I was thinking; With Finesse, I could kill a ~2 mobs before they could fire back, like Barons of Hell, which I never really experienced before with rapid fire weapons. I wonder if I maxed out Reloader, Finesse, went scout and did anything else for fire time, how effective that would be.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29 »

I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but I think EE and SoB (Eagle Eye/Son of a Bitch) are better to boost your rapid-fire DPS, and as an added bonus, they are required for Cateye. Additionally, while Fin might allow you to shoot more bursts in the same time, SoB allows you to kill enemies in less bursts, which not only gives you the same effect, but also saves ammunition. Personally I take finesse only when I need WK (Whizkid) most of the time.

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 03, 2013, 09:57 »

I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but I think EE and SoB (Eagle Eye/Son of a Bitch) are better to boost your rapid-fire DPS, and as an added bonus, they are required for Cateye. Additionally, while Fin might allow you to shoot more bursts in the same time, SoB allows you to kill enemies in less bursts, which not only gives you the same effect, but also saves ammunition. Personally I take finesse only when I need WK (Whizkid) most of the time.

Of course, I wouldn't really want to skip SoB or EE, I'm just thinking about a if I get deep enough where I'll have the levels to get both EE/SoB as well as Fin and Reloader.

Cacodemon_hugs

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Acronyms for Noobs
« Reply #776 on: September 03, 2013, 14:53 »

Thank you both for the information!
I'm glad to now have a seemingly comprehensive list of acronyms, to be able to reference easily, all in one place.

thelaptop:
I'll be sure to do some more lurking! I'm at the beginning of an interesting learning curve, concerning the game, and am doing my best to navigate it with optimum success. I still haven't obtained a win past an [E|YAVP] but am already becoming eager to engage in N! games with success.

Klear:
Thank you for the Hail! I also really appreciated your note concerning DoomRL and ChaosForge acronyms.
I don't know how far I'll make it on my path toward Diamonds, but I'm trying not to read (and spoil) too much of what I haven't yet experienced in the game.

For now, I'll delve into the forum's files to hopefully uncover some further information that I'm thirsting for.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 05, 2013, 03:45 »

Merged request for "Acronyms for Noobs" into Quick Questions.

Note: that thread does not actually contain a list of acronyms.  Play the game more and lurk more on the forums to learn the lingo of the game.

Better yet, contribute to the Wiki with a nice list of acronyms if you can.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 16:48 by thelaptop »

Amatsu

• Diamond Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 05, 2013, 14:01 »

I'm a newbie. I get my ass kicked by the Arena Master it's not funny. Could someone please tell me some strategies? Also there are so many abreviations, that it's not funny. What is the 666 level UV?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 05, 2013, 16:50 »

Amatsu, are you trying to troll here?  You've been on the forums long enough that you should be used to the abbreviations by now, if not, I suggest reading more mortems and possibly reading the Wiki.

You should also check out the various strategy guides that have been lurking about.  Thomas' guide, Sylph's addendum and dtsund's beginner's guide are all out there.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 79