Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444083 times)

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #795 on: September 17, 2013, 23:42 »

I didn't even think of gibbing the corpses or using the RL on the baron! Or rocketjumping, for that matter! I always hoarded the rockets for some reason >_>....

Which is funny, because I just did the wall and used the very same rocket launcher to gib barons there so the viles didn't res them.

Gee, that's painfully obvious. Thanks very much.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: September 27, 2013, 09:29 »

Quick question, I've been playing 0.9.9.6 for a bit now and I just randomly checked the page to see whats up and see that there is a new version.  Is there a way to update to 0.9.9.7 and not lose all my stat progress?  Because I'm super bad at the game and would prefer to keep what little progress I have made at earning Medals, hahaha.
Cacodemon Sergeant Major (Version 0.9.9.7)
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: September 27, 2013, 09:43 »

Just copy score.wad and player.wad over from your older version to the newer version after you install it.

Oh, copy the mortem directory over too if you want to preserve records of your old exploits.
I computed, therefore I was.

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 27, 2013, 11:35 »

Now that I've decided to start playing the game again, I might start to aim for some of the medals, what are some good tips for doing speedruns?  I'm looking at the beat the game in 30 minutes medal.
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 27, 2013, 11:41 »

AoPc with wild abandon.  Fastest game to play.  Second fastest: AoRA.

I don't think you have the stomach to go Sereging at this stage, considering that you did mention transferring the badges you got in the previous version.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #800 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03 »

what are some good tips for doing speedruns?

This may sound harsh, but the best one I know is 'learn how to play the game at normal speed'. When you start doing speedruns, you need to at least not be easily surprised by what the game throws at you anymore.

If you're looking to improve your skills and earn medals, I can highly recommend going for the bronze and silvers badges related to the different challenges.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53 »

Oh I understand trust me, I've been working on Angle of Marksmen Silver in my downtime, its just I was looking at the fact that 30 minute standard clear was a bronze and I couldn't fathom how, as the description said, a standard low skill player could get that, so I was wondering if there were some key mechanics that are used in a speed run clear.
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #802 on: September 27, 2013, 13:55 »

Well, not so much the mechanics, methinks, as a couple of things you can rely on. If I were to attempt another speedrun, it'd be something like this:

1) Start as a Scout, since you can see the stairs at every level.
2) Start with Brute. You'll want Berserker a.s.a.p. DO NOT - by design or accident - take any levels in Ironman. You'll lose the game.
3) Run! Pick up any armor, medkit and phase you can find. Grab a shotgun to help yourself get to the Chained Court. Grab the Chainsaw.
4) Run! Some more! Use the run function a lot, especially if you're close to the stairs, since it'll give you an advantage on your enemies and your 'tired' will be reset to 'cautious' once you descend.
5) Know which special levels are death traps and which ones you can immediately escape from (ie you're spawned right next to the stairs).
6) When you're done running, chainsaw Spidey to death.

That's about it, I think.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 27, 2013, 14:13 »

5) Know which special levels are death traps and which ones you can immediately escape from (ie you're spawned right next to the stairs).

Do you consider Spider's Lair to be a death trap (for speedrunning purposes)?
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #804 on: September 27, 2013, 14:17 »

Don't recall if the stairs are readily available. If they are, and you're running, you probably have enough of a headstart to escape more or less unscathed. Don't know if I'd gamble on it, though.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 27, 2013, 16:49 »

When I asked that question I thought the stairs were a little bit outside of the normal LOS.
Turns out, not really.

So I guess to answer my own question: Spider's Lair is probably a death trap for speedrunning, unless you have armor that has high plasma resist, like a powered blue armor or an energy vest/shield.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 27, 2013, 19:08 »

The safe ones are Wall/Containment, Deimos Lab/Armory, Lava Pits/Erebus, and Cathedral.  You can start Arena if you want, but don't complete it, or you'll be stuck in Chained Court till all are dead.  You'll NEED the Chainsaw. 

Other things to try:
 - Change a few settings in config, like MorePrompt and RunOverItems to False and True in the config.  This will let you skip over annoying Enter prompts and excessive keypresses while doing the speedrun.
 - ',' to "Fast Walk" (it says run in game, but it's confusing when tactics changing is also run), which lets you move around faster and will stop automatically if you step next to something or enemies come in sight.  It's equivalent to hitting the movement keys repeatedly.  If RunOverItems is True, you'll only stop in front of doors, reaching stairs, bumping walls and other obstacles, or in the presence of enemies.
 - Console mode has a shorter delay on animations than Graphics mode, especially is you change the RunDelay.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 28, 2013, 20:41 »

A few early game questions and one late-game (Was going to post a new topic, but was hoping someone could look in here)

I've tried for about 30 hours of actual ingame time and more thinking time but haven't come up with a solution to any of these issues.

The first is Hell Knights on floor 3 of AoB/AoMr. You don't have anything decent to tackle them with at this stage, at least that i'm aware of.

For AoMr, even without the HK having armor and SoG 2 (Best scenario at dlev 2), you're going to need 9 shots on average to kill a hell knight, and with their 110% speed you can't run rings around them at that stage. Even with a scout, at best you'll match them move for move (I'm not sure if their 110% speed is at 0.91 or rounds down to 0.9), and if you spawn in a level with 2-3 HKs then running to get away from them isn't a viable option. In addition, trying to cornershoot them doesn't always work, because for some reason unlike Cacos and Mancubi, instead of moving down to hug the wall to get closer to you they tend to move out in the open so they can shoot you. This behavior also applies to Revs, Viles, and Barons, but they're less of a problem.

For AoB, you can gift-drop and lure them so you don't have to deal with their projectile attack (unless you start in a wide open space), but then you still have to face them in melee and get torn apart by their base +6 accuracy (so on UV/N! running does nothing) 1d3+6. You can't run circles around them with a combat knife again, because of their speed.

Both of these also apply to demons but to a lesser extent - it's much easier to deal with demons on AoMr because of their AI and demons are only 25 hp with 1d3+5.

I don't think it's just up to the RNG and has something to do with my lack of skill as a player, so does anyone have any tips?

How do you deal with corpses on Nightmare? What i've tried to do earlygame is just pool them into one area but I haven't had much luck reliably stacking them - they don't go where I want them to go and you can't gib them with rockets because you don't have a rocket launcher. You *can* get one from the arena but that still means you have to do the arena first - which requires you to deal with mid-tier enemies.

I recall the arena spawning on floor 3 during one game of 0.9.9.7. I believe that it's fixed on 2 now because that's what the wiki says and I recall all the other levels being fixed, so is my memory simply failing me? Just checking.

A final question: How do you combat knife throw the AoD to death? I've thought about it and the notion of having more runspeed then it makes sense, but I can't practically see how you could within the small space of the cathedral and the angel pursuing you directly (meaning diagonal movement), making it hard to circle it to pick up your knife.

Any help is much appreciated because i've been mulling over these for ages and have made absolutely no progress.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 28, 2013, 20:50 »

Oi.  Wrong thread.  This is for quick questions -- you are not asking a quick question, you are asking a stack of them.

Post it in another thread.  =.=

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 29, 2013, 17:34 »

"Hell just froze over..." and all the walls are blue. Aside from the blue walls, does this actually MEAN anything?
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 79