Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444200 times)

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #825 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32 »

Yeah my issue was I was in a SharpShooter build and with the level cap of 10ish you get in ITYTD I couldnt get an amazing movespeed.

Two new questions, been reading through the quick question thread and it made me curious about somethings.

1. What does YAFW mean, and is there a glossery of abbreviations somewhere hahaha

2. What's the best way to go about getting the full win with only knives and fists? I'd assume playing on ITYTD would be a way to go about it but outside of MMb (? I think thats the right abbreviation for Malicious Blades) and a really well moded chainsword and/or piercing blade and/or finding the Cleaver I'm not sure how else you could pull it off, of course carring a launcher or something of the sort for bosses is also an option.
Cacodemon Sergeant Major (Version 0.9.9.7)
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 02, 2013, 09:46 »

Two new questions, been reading through the quick question thread and it made me curious about somethings.

1. What does YAFW mean, and is there a glossery of abbreviations somewhere hahaha

2. What's the best way to go about getting the full win with only knives and fists? I'd assume playing on ITYTD would be a way to go about it but outside of MMb (? I think thats the right abbreviation for Malicious Blades) and a really well moded chainsword and/or piercing blade and/or finding the Cleaver I'm not sure how else you could pull it off, of course carring a launcher or something of the sort for bosses is also an option.

1. YAFW = Yet Another Full Win
Most of the important abbreviations and shorthand can be found here.

2. MMB (Malicious Blades) is certain a way to go about it. Otherwise you can do it with Bru3, some tanking ability like good armor and Bad2+Ber.
Being able to use knives is still pretty generous though, since you can mod it and have something to deal damage with that isn't just a meaty fist.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #827 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57 »

This brought to mind my first attempt at a fist-only game.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 02, 2013, 10:12 »

This brought to mind my first attempt at a fist-only game.

...Yup. Sounds about right.
I feel that it's borderline suicide to try to get Sunrise Iron Fist without a melee mastery that doesn't include Berserker.

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41 »

I'm just full of curiosity today, so I just read that there used to be an Angle of D&D mode? What was that challenge like?

EDIT: I'm tired of waiting for a response so that I don't double post so I'm just adding it onto here, Can someone break down modding for me?  Like the what can be modded and when?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 23:15 by WanderingNewbie »
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 03, 2013, 02:10 »

Can the Dragonslayer spawn on the Vaults?
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 03, 2013, 02:15 »

I'm just full of curiosity today, so I just read that there used to be an Angle of D&D mode? What was that challenge like?
Too long ago; no clue what it was.  Too lazy to source dive.

EDIT: I'm tired of waiting for a response so that I don't double post so I'm just adding it onto here, Can someone break down modding for me?  Like the what can be modded and when?
See the wiki for more information.  The question may be quick, but the answer is anything but.
I computed, therefore I was.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48 »

How do you handle early mazes on a difficulty of at least HMP and without Int2? Getting a maze before Military Base/Phobos Lab is more or less a free restart.

My current issues with mazes are that 1) lots of 2-wide hallways and corners make corner/radarshooting a huge waste of ammo, and 2) weird corners and hallways don't make cornershooting as safe as it normally seems to be. Maybe I just don't understand enemy AI when I'm cornershooting in the vertical direction--I almost never take damage when cornershooting horizontally these days.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 03, 2013, 03:54 »

Don't rely too much on radar shooting in mazes -- camp along an edge with preferably a chokepoint, then use WAIT for mobs to come into view.

The 2-wide hallways are designed to increase your useful vision; it used to be one wide, and it sucked bad.  Corners of two parallel hallways are very awesome chokepoints from which you can basically hold out against mobs -- you can always move towards the center wall to hide away from them temporarily as you ready your healing and what not.
I computed, therefore I was.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 03, 2013, 04:35 »

Don't rely too much on radar shooting in mazes -- camp along an edge with preferably a chokepoint, then use WAIT for mobs to come into view.

Pretty much this. I find Mazes (without the barrel message anyway) to be one of the easier level types, especially with the hallways. You can simply pop in one of the edges and use it like a doorway then cornershoot your way to freedom.

You can also lure monsters one at a time by aggroing them with a radar shot and then going back to your safe corner and proceed to shoot them with impunity.
[0.9.9.7]

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 03, 2013, 07:30 »

Nother question in the vain of Fists and Knives only badge, is a knive something that works with MMB? or is specifically just the combat knife and chainsword?

See the wiki for more information.  The question may be quick, but the answer is anything but.

Also, hahaha I ment like in game mods, like Agility and the like, hahaha, sorry for not being more specific.  I opened your link and was SUPER confused for a second.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:43 by WanderingNewbie »
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 03, 2013, 07:51 »

Guns, melee weapons, armor and boots can all be modded once each. When you get a new level of whizkid, guns can be modded twice more and everything else can be modded once more.

Guns can have up to three of the same mod, all other items can only have one of the same mod unless you're specifically making an assembly, e.g. Tactical Boots requires two agility mods on a pair of boots which is normally impossible.

Most exotic items can be modded like normal. Most unique items can't be modded, some allow one mod in special circumstances, and I think only one unique item (Cybernetic Armor) can be modded like normal. All the mods have a page on the wiki saying what they do when put on weapons or armor.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:56 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 03, 2013, 07:51 »

Nother question in the vain of Fists and Knives only badge, is a knive something that works with MMB? or is specifically just the combat knife and chainsword?

Also, hahaha I ment like in game mods, like Agility and the like, hahaha, sorry for not being more specific.  I opened your link and was SUPER confused for a second.
If you're asking about the off-hand weapons that grant the MMB trait resists and double attack, then IIRC a knife and both of it's assemblies count, as well as Butcher's Cleaver and the Subtle Knife. The last two uniques mentioned are _not_ knives though, and won't count towards the Malicious Knives badge.

For info about mod packs and modding items, check the Wiki for mods general info, and you may also be interested in the Assemblies page there. The Assemblies page contains a list of them, so if you don't want to spoil yourself, use at your own risk :).

EDIT: According to the Wiki, Azrael's Scythe also counts as a blade (but not as a knife) for MMB purposes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:58 by ZicherCZ »
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 03, 2013, 09:41 »

Does the dragonslayer work with MMB?

Also, looking through some of 2dev's mortems he mentioned that he could make a dragonslayer spawn on a certain level. Is the requirements for making it spawn limited to that level or is there a way to make it appear once per run or on a given floor or what?

Note that I asked if it can appear, not how. Shouldnt be too much of a spoiler, right?
[0.9.9.7]

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 03, 2013, 11:43 »

Well, not so much the mechanics, methinks, as a couple of things you can rely on. If I were to attempt another speedrun, it'd be something like this:

1) Start as a Scout, since you can see the stairs at every level.
2) Start with Brute. You'll want Berserker a.s.a.p. DO NOT - by design or accident - take any levels in Ironman. You'll lose the game.
3) Run! Pick up any armor, medkit and phase you can find. Grab a shotgun to help yourself get to the Chained Court. Grab the Chainsaw.
4) Run! Some more! Use the run function a lot, especially if you're close to the stairs, since it'll give you an advantage on your enemies and your 'tired' will be reset to 'cautious' once you descend.
5) Know which special levels are death traps and which ones you can immediately escape from (ie you're spawned right next to the stairs).
6) When you're done running, chainsaw Spidey to death.

That's about it, I think.

I'd like to thank you LuckyDee, I was able to pull off a barely under 10 minute run thanks to your advice, if you want you can check out the mortem here http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,6765.0.html .  In other news, time to step up to HNTR it seems, I might start doing streams of runs, if I were to do that where could I post it on here so that you guys could ridicule me while I screw everything up?
[15/7/3/0/0/0]
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 79