Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444793 times)

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38 »

Why does Technician get Entrenchment and Marine get Ammochain? It seems to me that it should be the other way around.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2011, 16:14 »

Why isn't the small building in the Chained Court + symmetric?  The bottom left corner doesn't have the same little notch.  It bugs me.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2011, 20:30 »

Why isn't the small building in the Chained Court + symmetric?  The bottom left corner doesn't have the same little notch.  It bugs me.

For the same reason the Chained Court + has a single blooded wall in the lower right corner.  Also the same reason that the Unholy Cathedral has a lonely blood spot in the upper right hand corner outside the moat. And for the same reason that in the demon room of the Cathedral there is a single tile of the otherwise-bloody walkway that isn't blooded.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11 »

Not to mention there's an open door surrounded by walls in the Cathedral :P (but that one has a purpose ^^)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27 »

Not to mention there's an open door surrounded by walls in the Cathedral :P (but that one has a purpose ^^)
Is it where the LS is? (so you can't phase onto it)
And it's destroyed when the AoD is killed?
Use power for power.

snowstorm

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul of Melee
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2012, 05:12 »

Anybody asked this yet?
With dualgunner and primary gun with less ammo.
You can't shoot while the first gun has 0 ammo.
Why not allow shooting while primary at 0ammo as long as secondary still has?  (Swapping seems an unnecessary waste in this situation)

Secondly, combat pistol doesn't have dualreload as alt.reload. That on purpose? Doesn't look it would disrupt the balance that much.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2012, 12:31 »

Anybody asked this yet?
With dualgunner and primary gun with less ammo.
You can't shoot while the first gun has 0 ammo.
Why not allow shooting while primary at 0ammo as long as secondary still has?  (Swapping seems an unnecessary waste in this situation)

Secondly, combat pistol doesn't have dualreload as alt.reload. That on purpose? Doesn't look it would disrupt the balance that much.

First: In the next version, dualgunner will allow free 'z' swapping between two pistols, so this won't be a waste anymore.

Second: This is a bug; it will be fixed in the next version.

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2012, 11:30 »

Say, how do the monsters work.

Do they attack after your move?
If so, then that's pretty cheap, IMHO.

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2012, 11:36 »

It's turn-based, after all, so they attack when their turns come. Or they move. Or use items.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2012, 11:48 »

For details see here: http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/Time
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2012, 11:58 »

Ehm, cheap? Didn't it happen to you time and time again, that on _your_ turn you went into a monster's line of sight and got immediately blasted on _it's_ turn?
If you would call this "cheap", than  I have to say that it works both ways. All of the AoMCs could tell the story ...
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2012, 14:25 »

It's a bit cheap when you consider an actual timeline.
You don't act individually, but about simultaneously.

Imagine shooting a demon, as it is now, you'd hit it.
However, if both moves were simultaneous, you'd likely miss - because you didn't shoot the demon's new position. (Prediction, my friend!)

Same thing is when you're for example a melee build, you move towards your target. All while your target is firing.
Now, your target will likely hit - as dodging is based entirely around random numbers and you being parallel to the trajectory or not.

If both moves were simultaneous, however - dodging would actually make sense now. Since if the AI mispredicted, (oh big surprise ain't it) it can miss.
Of course when an action happens would still be based on speed and time taken, basically a new clusterfuck of things.

But honestly, at least in DOOM you can dodge (which makes stuff really easy - but that's not a limitation here), here you pray to Armok for lucky numbers.
Makes space for some new features too, like fire-in-path. (Eg. Firing shots at different trajectories with a chaingun, no point in spraying 'em all in one direction.)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2012, 14:42 »

All missile definitions come with two hit-based fields: a chance for the bullet to miss and an additional multiplier for distance to miss. Whenever this missile is created (always by firing a ranged weapon) it uses these properties to determine whether it will move into the attacked's tile. If a miss occurs, it will instead move into the attacked's previous tile (that is, the position that the attacked was in immediately before the attacker's turn). This is how "dodging" is implemented into DoomRL, which is otherwise an archetypical turn-based game. If you want to see the more technical details of this, check out this Wiki page.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of attacks in this game are either bullets or contain a sufficient amount of energy in them to be moving really fast. (Don't let the original game fool you, massive projectiles aren't going to move that slowly if they want to stay in the air.) I'm almost certain that, accuracy aside, these things are going to reach their target far earlier than you'd be able to react to them, rockets being the only reasonable exception.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

FantomFang

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2012, 02:36 »

Two things:

1) So I died to JC on an AoMr run. But I still got a standard victory - I thought if you failed there you didn't get any victory. Am I just remembering this wrong?
2) How would you go about beating him on AoMr? I mean, I guess part of the problem was my weaponry - my damage at the end was a mere (2d4+5)x2 after perks. If I had actually found one of the rare weapon packs or rare pistols would I have been fine? I did manage to make it there just on speedloaders. Was kinda funny - had finesse 2, reloader 1, intuition 2, Soab 2, SoG 3, Dualgunner 1 - never did invest in Eagle Eye. But I was firing at a speed of 0.27s and reloading at 0.36 or something, so it was funny. Actually nuked the SM without the lava element - lucked out on invul globe after the lava pits proved to be a no go.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2012, 10:11 »

1) It counts as a standard win for the purposes of your player statistics, but for any medals or badges that require a win it does not.  That's assuming I understand it correctly, because I've only read about it.  I believe even a sacrifice against JC disqualifies any win medals/badges.

2) I can't say.  I don't believe I've ever attempted it, but with all his summons, I think any pistols would have serious problems against him.  The one time where I was going to attempt it, I screwed up with the nuke countdown because of my gravity boots and my ignorance about the lava element's duration.  See my mortem here and imagine sad violin music playing in the background.  I guess the key is to keep his summons from blocking your line of fire.  Maybe getting in close would help?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 79