Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444341 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2012, 10:57 »

The one time where I was going to attempt it, I screwed up with the nuke countdown because of my gravity boots and my ignorance about the lava element's duration.  See my mortem here and imagine sad violin music playing in the background.

What happened it that game? Even after reading the text, I don't understand it.

BTW, a good strategy for killing JC is nuking him, in my experience =)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2012, 11:30 »

What happened it that game? Even after reading the text, I don't understand it.
If you don't understand as to why the nuke killed him, it's because invincibility (and all other status effects I believe) count down actions you take, rather than time, so a player with gravity boots is most likely going to take about five actions every second, and therefore lose five turns of invulnerability a second.
Use power for power.

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2012, 14:37 »

Uranium's right.

It was one of my more embarrassing moments, next to holding down left to walk back to the stairs after beating the Lava Pits, and a time when I was similarly holding down directions to move after I thought I cleared out a level (I didn't bother checking for blue level text) while in reality a demon was hiding in a closed corner room.  My worst moment of stupidity is probably when I was carelessly wandering around picking up items in a cleared cave at low health, with enviroboots sitting in my inventory.  To preserve my dignity, I'll let you all fill in the blanks about how those runs ended =/

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2012, 15:30 »

Thanks! I didn't know what gravity boots did. Now I see they give you quite a speed boost.

BTW, my stupidest action was probably when I was playing a vampyre build and decided to put by bulk and power modded red armor on the ground, so it wouldn't be needlessly damaged when clearing the City of Skulls and then decided to go wild with the new BFG, since there was more plasma ammo than I could carry. When I was finished, my only armor was nowhere to be found. It didn't kill me though, I'm pretty sure I managed to finish that run.

But let's not derail this thread any more.

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01 »

've been playing DoomRL for quite a while now, just registered to post a question because I still don't understand shotgun mechanics well. Specifically, the double shotgun - is it and its kin considered as rapid-fire shotguns, since they fire 2 shots in succession? I'm asking because the most recent changelog states something quite crazy imo - Trigger Happy now works with rapid-fire shotguns. Does the DS get the benefit of TH and fire 3 shells instead of 2?

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35 »

've been playing DoomRL for quite a while now, just registered to post a question because I still don't understand shotgun mechanics well. Specifically, the double shotgun - is it and its kin considered as rapid-fire shotguns, since they fire 2 shots in succession? I'm asking because the most recent changelog states something quite crazy imo - Trigger Happy now works with rapid-fire shotguns. Does the DS get the benefit of TH and fire 3 shells instead of 2?
I don't think it does, and it doesn't matter anyways. Double and Super Shotguns only have clipsize of 2, so despite any traits or modding, those weapons will only ever fire two shells max.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55 »

There's a unique shotgun that can fire three shots in bursts of three. (Thus clip size is 9)

So I'd guess Triggerhappy affects that one now.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2012, 12:11 »

iirc this unique shotgun now has 2 shots instead of three.And TH2 didn't work for me when i tried to kill shambler with it.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

spacedust

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Ha-haa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2012, 00:47 »

Quick question: do enemies still converge to the center of the map? I recall they did in the older builds but things seem to have changed. I skipped 0.9.9.4 altogether but the AI seems to be different now as HA seems different.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2012, 07:41 »

Quick question: do enemies still converge to the center of the map?
Not at all. The game used to have a default AI for enemies, as well as a set of flags to alter it slightly: now everything is built using lua-side AI, with completely customizable objects. From a modder's perspective, this requires creating your own AI from scratch if you don't like any of the base game's. I am planning on including a small library of "default states" that most base AI tend to use, so that it's easier to work with what already exists.

But yeah, instead of converging at the center of the map, most enemies now have a path-finding algorithm that moves them from place to place. They're pretty good about rounding corners, too!
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2012, 08:12 »

I'm thinking of trying for Berserker Platinum, which needs winning on UV with 75% kills. Is there a way to check how many enemies I've killed so far, or even a way to find out how many I've left alive? If not, I suppose I'll just count each kill manually so I know in hell how many tough enemies I can leave be...

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2012, 11:58 »

This could well go into the Request for features thread, as quite a lot of higher badges are dependent on kill percentage, and it could be shown, for example, in "@" screen.
Just a bit of modification: The screen should only show kill until the last level past, _not_ including the current level (which would leave the player to know how many enemies are left on the current floor).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2012, 12:47 »

This could well go into the Request for features thread, as quite a lot of higher badges are dependent on kill percentage, and it could be shown, for example, in "@" screen.
tehtmi managed to change the statistics so that they automatically update whenever you access them, so this sort of thing can be a lot easier to implement. I agree that it'd fit best on the character info screen.

To answer the question, there's no way to go about checking kills and max kills right now.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

GrimmC

« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2012, 14:17 »

Interesting. I always thought the kill percentage wasn't displayed to add a bit of "roguelike" hardness to the game, i.e., "you just spent 2 hours trying to get 100% kills just to find out you didn't, ha ha!"

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2012, 11:44 »

Is the tristar blaster useful?  If so, when?
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 79