Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444289 times)

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #420 on: April 01, 2012, 22:01 »

1) What is YASD and YAVP?

2) I'm still new to the game and learning the ropes. I'm not sure I understand weapon mods. If I have two levels of WK, does that mean I can put 6 mods on a pistol? If so, does that mean I can go PPPTBB with the final mod turning it into a Storm Bolt that does 1d14x2 damage?

3) If I do something similar for an energy pistol (PPPPPT), would that be 2d9+9?

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 01, 2012, 22:09 »

1) What is YASD and YAVP?
Yet Another Stupid Death
Yet Another Victory Post
These terms are typically used in reference to post-mortem dumps that get posted around here.

2) I'm still new to the game and learning the ropes. I'm not sure I understand weapon mods. If I have two levels of WK, does that mean I can put 6 mods on a pistol? If so, does that mean I can go PPPTBB with the final mod turning it into a Storm Bolt that does 1d14x2 damage?

3) If I do something similar for an energy pistol (PPPPPT), would that be 2d9+9?
That would be awesome, but that's not how assemblies work.

First, WK (2) would allow you to add 5 total mods to a ranged weapon. 1 naturally + (2 per level of WK)*2. Also, you can't add more than 3 of a given type of mod to a ranged weapon. Melee weapons and armor can only take 1 of a given mod type (unless building an assembly), and can take one extra mod per level of WK.

Assemblies can only be made by following a particular "recipe" of mods. Also, assemblies of any level can only be modified if you have WK (2) when you make the assembly, and even then, exactly once.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

punkbohemian

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 01, 2012, 22:22 »

First, WK (2) would allow you to add 5 total mods to a ranged weapon. 1 naturally + (2 per level of WK)*2. Also, you can't add more than 3 of a given type of mod to a ranged weapon. Melee weapons and armor can only take 1 of a given mod type (unless building an assembly), and can take one extra mod per level of WK.

Assemblies can only be made by following a particular "recipe" of mods. Also, assemblies of any level can only be modified if you have WK (2) when you make the assembly, and even then, exactly once.

So then, wouldn't the beefy storm bolt work? PPPTBB is no more than three of a type. Or, does it have to be just TBB and that's it?

Regarding your second part, you have to do the extra mod during the assembly? In other words, you can't do the assembly when you have the mods, then add the extra later if you don't have it on hand at the moment?

In short, I'm trying to figure out a few of the best pistol arrangements I can come up with.

Thanks.

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 01, 2012, 22:33 »

Or, does it have to be just TBB and that's it?
Yep. You need to match the specified assembly recipe.

Regarding your second part, you have to do the extra mod during the assembly? In other words, you can't do the assembly when you have the mods, then add the extra later if you don't have it on hand at the moment?
You do the assembly first. If you have WK 2 when you make the assembly, you can add a single extra mod any time after the assembly is made.

For example, you want to make a Storm Bolter. If you want to mod it after construction, wait until you have WK 2 before making the assembly. You *could* do any 2 mods leading into that assembly, like BB or TB, first. But when you add that last missing mod, that's when you need WK 2. Following this example, if you build the Storm Bolter, you can add another mod (probably a P or B) at any time, but it'll be the only modification you can make.

Whizkid + assembly interaction is a little counter-intuitive at first, but a little planning can overcome it. Or, you can just live with unmodded assemblies. Most of the Advanced assemblies kick a lot of ass in their own right.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 02, 2012, 04:05 »

Also note that you don't need to have WK to make basic assemblies and don't need WK 2 to make advanced assemblies.

While a doomguy without levels in WK can only add one mod to a weapon or armour, you can still add the second one if the result is an assembly. This is handy for discovering the basic assemblies, since if the second mod doesn't make an assembly, you won't be able to add it and it returns to your inventory.

Though judging by your post, you already looked the assemblies up in the wiki, so you have little to gain by discovering them.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Perfectblue

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15 »

How many levels are there total in DoomRL at the moment (include or exclude special levels, your choice).

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 02, 2012, 09:34 »

There are 24 regular levels including Phobos Entry and the three end-episode boss levels, and 11 special levels (only 7 on ITYTD).  Also...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perfectblue

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 02, 2012, 15:07 »

Thanks Matt_S.

I was wondering if I encountered a vault. I found a plasma rifle on level 2. I am not certain if it was a vault or not because I can't remember what the level feeling said, or if there even was one.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 02, 2012, 15:12 »

Yep, it's a vault. Vaults aren't subject to the minimum levels of items (hence why you found a plasmarifle on level 2). You can also tell because it's a room with a single door surrounded by a 1-space thin walkway.
Use power for power.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28 »

The level feelings announcing a vault on a level are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Pricklyman

• Sergeant Major
  • Crazy Nutjob - and lovin it
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 03, 2012, 04:12 »

Also, there's blood EVERYWHERE inside! =D

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2012, 07:58 »

Can Scavendger Diamond be achieved through multiple uses of alt-fire of AS(whisper of)?
I mean just use it 4 times to kill everything and don't bother trying to phase in the middle vault.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 04, 2012, 08:00 »

One should test I think :) While I do think it counts as clear, as it's not a nuke, and kills are made. But be careful with what will happen after 3rd use, since some revenants in the central vault can get revived.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 04, 2012, 08:04 »

Oh, right.Seems like 4 uses is possible only for lucky Tech, all others will have to go with 5.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:15 by AlterAsc »
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Perfectblue

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2012, 23:02 »

I am having an issue with quick swap. Lets say my current active is the rocket launcher, and I put my shotgun in the prepared slot.

When I hit Z to swap it initially works just fine; however, once I start switching through my other weapons it will swap out something completely random. For instance, lets say I hit the hotkey to change from my rocket launcher to the pistol with the 2 key. If I want to swap back to my shotgun with Z, it wont work typically it will be some completely random weapon.

Its rather frustrating.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 79