Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444439 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2012, 23:06 »

You actually have 2 active slots, 1 for your 'ready' weapon and 1 for the 'prepared'. As soon as you select another weapon, this replaces your current 'ready'. Prepared remains the same, and Z keeps switching between these 2.

The only way to reset is by manually selecting your 'ready' and/or 'prepared' again.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2012, 23:17 »

So, in order to swap back to shotgun, if it's no longer in prepared slot, press 3. Note that in case of you having more than one shotgun, a loaded one will be pulled out of inventory if there are any loaded shotties left.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Perfectblue

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2012, 23:17 »

You actually have 2 active slots, 1 for your 'ready' weapon and 1 for the 'prepared'. As soon as you select another weapon, this replaces your current 'ready'. Prepared remains the same, and Z keeps switching between these 2.

The only way to reset is by manually selecting your 'ready' and/or 'prepared' again.

Interesting, because I thought I recall both the ready and prepared changing. If the prepared would remain consistent no matter what the active ready weapon was I wouldnt have a problem, but the prepared keeps changing on me.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2012, 23:27 »

Unless you're going through the 'e' screen (forgot the name), the only way to change the prepared is by pressing Z, and it will always be replace by whatever you have in your hands at that point. For example:

* You have a shotgun ready/rocket launcher prepared and press Z
* You now have a RL ready/shotgun prepared and press 1
* You now have a pistol ready/shotgun prepared and press Z
* You now have a shotgun ready/pistol prepared and select the chainsaw from your inventory
* You now have a chainsaw ready/pistol prepared etcetc

This is how it should work at least; Z switches ready and prepared that are currently equipped, any other selection changes the ready.

Perfectblue

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2012, 07:53 »

@LuckyDee

I suppose that is the problem then. I am wanting game to "lock in" whatever item I place in my prepared slot. For instance, always a shotgun I can change to on the fly with Z. But as you said if I start switching around weapons, the prepared slot starts to switch as well.

This seems counter intuitive to me, and admittedly a bit frustrating.

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2012, 08:02 »

Ahh I've got it. There is a case with calling weapons with keys, if you have a responding weapon in your prepared slot, the game initiates a swap instead of pulling from inventory, just because it is faster. We usually miss this because the prepared slot is the best place to store an exotic weapon of any kind, or a chainsaw, which is called by pressing zero key, and we usually don't have a loaded BFG on swap to hit the point with two BFGs, while it's a pretty common case with shotguns, since if you take Juggler early, you can storm your enemies with shellfire from more than a single loaded shotgun in inventory, which is highly useful early on. To make it work, you have to have two weapons to place in your hands that are not shotguns, because of the said effect that a swap is checked before inventory.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2012, 08:05 »

I found it odd at first as well, but once you know this it's pretty easy to get used to. Usually you won't need more than 2 weapons for any given level anyway, so once you have your 2 weapons in place, you'll only need your Z key for a while.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2012, 09:31 »

Ahh I've got it. There is a case with calling weapons with keys, if you have a responding weapon in your prepared slot, the game initiates a swap instead of pulling from inventory, just because it is faster.

It isn't faster, quick key swapping and prepared swapping actually take the same amount of time (0.8s).
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2012, 10:07 »

It isn't faster, quick key swapping and prepared swapping actually take the same amount of time (0.8s).
Hmm, I was under an impression that quickkeying a weapon costs 1.0s, and swapping for prepared costs 0.8s. And then, how long does it take to use equip/swap for inventory (e - down - tab - select), and how long is to use weapon from inventory (i - select)?

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2012, 11:14 »

Both are 1 second.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Skibbler

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01 »

Four questions:

1) Can the Jackhammer be modded? I have this fantasy: getting a Jackhammer as a technician, making a nanoshrapnel assembly, then adding a firestorm pack for a 5d3 x 5 weapon that ignores all armor/resistances, and needs no ammo. If only there were a way to eliminate the -5% damage per tile between you and your target.

2) I understand that mod order affects the stats of the result when creating assemblies. How exactly?

3) When making an armor assembly which requires two of the same mod, am I correct in assuming the following: the order does not matter except that the duplicate mod must be added last.

4) At what stage in the calculations is the bonuses from son of a bitch applied? So basically I'm asking whether resistances, armor, damage falloff for shotguns, etc. affects the sob bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Also, how do I mod my player files to unlock certain challenges?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:23 by Skibbler »

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 07, 2012, 08:24 »

Four questions:

1) Can the Jackhammer be modded? I have this fantasy: getting a Jackhammer as a technician, making a nanoshrapnel assembly, then adding a firestorm pack for a 5d3 x 5 weapon that ignores all armor/resistances, and needs no ammo. If only there were a way to eliminate the -5% damage per tile between you and your target.

2) I understand that mod order affects the stats of the result when creating assemblies. How exactly?

3) When making an armor assembly which requires two of the same mod, am I correct in assuming the following: the order does not matter except that the duplicate mod must be added last.

4) At what stage in the calculations is the bonuses from son of a bitch applied? So basically I'm asking whether resistances, armor, damage falloff for shotguns, etc. affects the sob bonus.

Thanks in advance.

1) No, the only uniques that can be modded are the Railgun and BFG10k (both of which can only take one mod or basic assembly) and the Cybernetic Armour (which is fully moddable and can be made into any acceptable armour assembly.

2) This doesn't always happen. If you want to assemble a piercing blade on a chainsaw, for example, adding the power mod first will give you a piercing chainsaw (4d7). Adding the agility mod first will give you a piercing chainsaw (4d6) but I think with better accuracy.

3) Yes, this is because armour can only accept one mod of each type.

4) SoB (and SoG) is applied after your damage roll, so yes, armour and resistances and range does count against your added damage.
Use power for power.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 07, 2012, 08:39 »

Also, how do I mod my player files to unlock certain challenges?
I'm assuming by 'challenges' you mean challenge modes, like Angel of Berserk and Angel of Marksmanship etc.
I have no idea how to mod player files, but the easiest way (in fact the only legitimate way) to get them is by increasing your skill rank, which involves gaining badges.
Check the wiki to find badges you'd like to try to earn/find easiest to get challenges quicker.
Use power for power.

Skibbler

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 07, 2012, 10:38 »

I'm assuming by 'challenges' you mean challenge modes, like Angel of Berserk and Angel of Marksmanship etc.
I have no idea how to mod player files, but the easiest way (in fact the only legitimate way) to get them is by increasing your skill rank, which involves gaining badges.
Check the wiki to find badges you'd like to try to earn/find easiest to get challenges quicker.

I did plenty of unlocking a while ago but after a clean install of Windows I'm back at rank one, and I'd rather not spend a lot of time unlocking AO100 (the challenge I'm in the mood for.) Is there any place where I could download a .wad that lets me do so?

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01 »

I did plenty of unlocking a while ago but after a clean install of Windows I'm back at rank one, and I'd rather not spend a lot of time unlocking AO100 (the challenge I'm in the mood for.) Is there any place where I could download a .wad that lets me do so?
I'm pretty sure someone else on the forum lost their player.wad, and requested someone else upload theirs. The post should still be here, not sure if the wad itself is. Check the previous pages of the DoomRL Discussion forum, you'll find it sooner or later.
Use power for power.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 79