Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444191 times)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2012, 05:44 »

The behavior is actually symmetrical between the player and enemies.  Standing in the way of an incoming teleport does 15 internal fire damage and redirects the teleport elsewhere.  (The teleporting player/enemy can also take damage if the destination is blocked by something like a barrel.)

Oh, I didn't realize that. Recently I found a demon next to a teleporter with the destination to the tile it was standing on, so when I approached him from the other side, he couldn't help but to teleport endlessly. Obviously I decided to telefrag him, but I got teleported to a random location instead, so I thought the game just checks if the destination tile is occupied and redirects the teleport elsewhere. The damage I did to the demon wasn't enough to kill him, so I though nothing happened.

Still, I would prefer it if telefragging would instagib monsters as in doom and did the random redirect without any damage to the player in case a monster tries to telefrag the player. Maybe it could be exploited by players, but I believe that it's extremely hard/lucky to telefrag an enemy intentionally. Might be as issue in the Spider Lair, dunno.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Creaphis

• Backer
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 22, 2012, 19:21 »

Right now I don't see any reason for "telefragging" in DoomRL whatsoever. Destination tiles aren't marked, so when the player gets damaged by standing on the wrong tile at the wrong time it's completely random and arbitrary. I recently lost an AoB game this way, and I was not impressed. It's also impossible to use telefragging against monsters without high risk because, even if you follow a monster through a teleport pad, you don't know where the redirect will put you. Dungeon features like teleporters and levers would be more interesting if they worked in predictable ways so that you could strategize around them and use them to your advantage.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 27, 2012, 04:38 »

Just wondering - would a point-blank rocket aimed at an almost dead mastermind count as a partial victory, if it killed both of you? Or any self-damaging weapon while we're at it?

Not that ist's very likely to happen, I'm just wondering.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08 »

most likely not, it'll be either her dead or you dead, whoever will get hit first. If you'd die, it'll be a YASD of a special flavor :D if SMM would die, it'll be a standard win.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32 »

Just wondering - would a point-blank rocket aimed at an almost dead mastermind count as a partial victory, if it killed both of you? Or any self-damaging weapon while we're at it?

Not that ist's very likely to happen, I'm just wondering.

This must be tested!  AoMC seems like the easiest way to make this happen.

eharper256

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #485 on: April 28, 2012, 03:43 »

Just a couple quick questions about chainfire; since I was about to try start a few chainfiring characters:

>> Is it like a mode switch or do I have to press Shift-F every time to rev up the chaingun/plasmarifle? (actually, if the latter is the case, would CAPSLOCK work for combat engagements?)
>> Does Ammochain and Entrenchment ONLY work during the secondary fire? Or do they apply to the standard volleys?
Cacodemon Sergeant [11/2/0/0/0]
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <-- My Games, Anime & Random Blog

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 28, 2012, 03:49 »

Just a couple quick questions about chainfire; since I was about to try start a few chainfiring characters:

>> Is it like a mode switch or do I have to press Shift-F every time to rev up the chaingun/plasmarifle? (actually, if the latter is the case, would CAPSLOCK work for combat engagements?)
>> Does Ammochain and Entrenchment ONLY work during the secondary fire? Or do they apply to the standard volleys?
If you begin chainfiring and there's still an enemy visible, you'll still be chainfiring. This behaviour continues until you need to reload or all enemies in sight are dead.
Ammochain works always, on all rapid fire weapons. You don't need to chainfire for Ammochain, but Entrenchment will only provide its resistances when you're chainfiring.
Use power for power.

eharper256

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #487 on: April 28, 2012, 04:29 »

If you begin chainfiring and there's still an enemy visible, you'll still be chainfiring. This behaviour continues until you need to reload or all enemies in sight are dead.
Ammochain works always, on all rapid fire weapons. You don't need to chainfire for Ammochain, but Entrenchment will only provide its resistances when you're chainfiring.
So, I press SHIFT-F once at the start of the fight, and then its okay to just press f and chainfire will continue to happen as long as enemies are around?

See, I tested on Hells playground and chainfire only ever fired 3 shots with a Chaingun, so I assume it must see enemies to start its rev up.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:30 by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59 »

If there are enemies in your vision after a chain fire volley, the game will put you back into targeting mode.  At this point, you use 'f' or left click (not right click, that cancels) to continue to chain fire the chaingun.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

eharper256

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #489 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04 »

Thanks Shark20061.

Also, I'm guessing the Tower Shield/Ballistic Shield is not actually an off-hand item by its placement in the wiki?

Seems a bit funny that you're wearing a shield, makes me want to shout "Ain't that cute, but its wrong!". :D

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #490 on: May 03, 2012, 12:49 »

What's the exact damage rule for the zerk trait to kick in? I find the wiki a bit confusing here.

I find the game confusing too, since I just got killed on an otherwise perfect attempt at Speedrunner Silver when Spidey spanked me (Scout with IRO1, pressed enter at the wrong moment unfortunately) from 73% to 17% in two hits tops, and I wasn't even drooling, let alone frothing. Pretty anticlimactic for an otherwise real smooth run.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 03, 2012, 21:46 »

To trigger berserk initial damage from one hit should be more than 10(to prevent abusing on AoHu) and at least 1/3 of your hp before all resistances and armor kicks in.And spidey's melee is 15+1d3 .So if you wouldn't take Iro, the threshold would be 17 damage.66% chance to trigger berserk.
Since you took Iro1, threshold is 20.Unreachable by melee attack.No berserk for you.
Yeah, Iro is bad for your health sometimes. :)
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #492 on: May 03, 2012, 22:56 »

Curse you swift enter!

2nd run wasn't better though. Ended up in Dis on 46% and no packs :S
Did both in under 20 minutes though, so there's room to spare. Let's see if I can make this work... well.. when I have time again.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2012, 03:28 »

The Piercing Blade assembly is useless: it uses 1xA and 1xP, while you achieve the same effect by applying 1xB. Why not give it a slight Accuracy edge as well, to account for the A-mod?

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2012, 04:09 »

First of all it makes damage type piercing.That's the whole point.
Mostly useful against AoD which has 10 armor.Extremely effective when you're killing him with knife-throwing.
Also if assembled in PA order, then both sides and dices increase by 1.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 79