Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444391 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #495 on: May 13, 2012, 08:47 »

First of all it makes damage type piercing.

Although that makes sense, I never saw it as more than a name. I also never noticed the damage type on this assembly before.

Mostly useful against AoD which has 10 armor.Extremely effective when you're killing him with knife-throwing.

And just how many piercing knives do you intend to bring? It sounds like an extremely effective tactic, except for the fact that you're going to have to get into melee range in order to retrieve your knife...

Also if assembled in PA order, then both sides and dices increase by 1.

And that's the part of assembling that I'm still not getting. Does this mean that if you assemble AP, you simply get an extra die but with increased accuracy?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:49 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 13, 2012, 09:16 »

And just how many piercing knives do you intend to bring? It sounds like an extremely effective tactic, except for the fact that you're going to have to get into melee range in order to retrieve your knife...
At least one.Also there's no need to get into melee range, you just need to lead AoD away from your knife, then circle back to it, and pick it up.
And that's the part of assembling that I'm still not getting. Does this mean that if you assemble AP, you simply get an extra die but with increased accuracy?
chansaw: +0 accurace 4d6.
piercing chainsaw that was assembled in A->P order: +0 4d7.
piercing chainsaw that was assembled in P->A order:+0 5d7
Afaik as now that's the only assembly where order matters it is a bug, so it's supposed to be +1 size only and that's it.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #497 on: May 13, 2012, 12:04 »

that's the only assembly where order matters

Actually, according to the wiki the Environmental boots have a build-order feature (which simply amounts to 'whatever you do, add T last'). Having read this and your answer leads me to believe that there might be more assemblies in which order matters.

On a sidenote, as I haven't checked the game yet, there are 2 'n's in Environmental...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 13, 2012, 12:22 »

I think in theory, the assemblies are supposed to have the same stats regardless of the order of the mods.  This was the intention circa 0.9.9.6.  In the previous release, that was not the case.

As for the Wiki, I'm not sure how accurate the data is, since it is completely community driven.  What is currently lacking is some kind of release-related information, so there could be a mix of both old and new data.

Any assemblies that are behaving differently due to the ordering of the mods are deemed as bugs and should be fixed in the repo, I think.

There are however some instances where the order does matter.  This has to do with how the mods and items interact.  For example, it is generally not possible to slap on more than 1 of each mod type for boots/armour, so things that require double adding of the same mod will have to come nearer the last few mods added, or if there're exotic mods like Nano or Onyx, those will have to go on before some of the other mods.

In short, the assembly system is still a little inconsistent at the moment.  Hopefully things will be completely resolved come the next release.
I computed, therefore I was.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 14, 2012, 14:33 »

Actually, according to the wiki the Environmental boots have a build-order feature (which simply amounts to 'whatever you do, add T last'). Having read this and your answer leads me to believe that there might be more assemblies in which order matters.

On a sidenote, as I haven't checked the game yet, there are 2 'n's in Environmental...
That comment is just as a note as to the current implementation of the assembly.  It is not meant to indicate it's an intended feature.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2012, 01:13 »

I currently have a save game at Hell's Armory on HMP.  Considering that I am me, I'm doing a YAAM Conqueror run, yet I'm doing an Entrenchment build(MEn is my planned next trait).  Even though it's still a little far off, I'm coming up with a plan for Unholy Cathedral.  I have the mods to make a ballistic red armor if necessary and if I can get a darn you-know-what mod I'll be able to make a piercing chainsaw as well.  I have no levels in Eagle Eye yet but I'll probably get it after my master trait.  I have a hatred skull to help things out.  Let's assume I can keep my 5 or so large med-packs until then and I'm willing to lose them all in a drawn out fight.  Knife-cheesing is out of the question for all practical purposes (i.e. not fast enough and no knife at the moment).

If necessary I'll probably be able to get Berserker before UC, but I'd rather avoid that.  To get to the question part, does this seem like a solid plan?  What if I don't get a you-know-what mod for a piercing chainsaw, do I still have a good chance of winning?

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 18, 2012, 03:00 »

yep... is it just me, or does throwing a knife count for ranged accuracy, so Brute is not checked against?
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #502 on: May 21, 2012, 23:18 »

2 of those were killed by something unknown.
 And 3 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Something unknown being JC? And what's with this suicide thing? I've committed about as many stupid suicides as I've won games, but I'm glad my mortems don't smugly blab about it...

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2012, 00:03 »

Unknown happenes(or happened?) sometimes when you're hit by smth you don't see.Usually it's not unknown but it happened.
Suicide happens when you die on hazardous terrain.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 22, 2012, 00:37 »

Unknown means the game can't figure out what killed you.  Usually this is because the enemy that killed you is already dead.  For example, an enemy might blow up a barrel killing itself, then killing you after.  That would count as "something unknown."

Suicide means you died on your own turn.  Hazardous terrain does seem to be the most common cause, but this can also be the result of splash damage, barrels, etc.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 22, 2012, 03:51 »

Pushing barrels into lava used to be my favorite form of suicide. Used to be...
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #506 on: May 22, 2012, 04:22 »

Suicide happens when you die on hazardous terrain.

Sounds sensible enough, but no. I know of at least 2 times I got killed on lava (CC + HoC), and there's not a single suicide in my mortems...

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 22, 2012, 04:44 »

Pushing barrels into lava used to be my favorite form of suicide. Used to be...

It could be again. It was restored in 0.9.9.6.  ;)

Sounds sensible enough, but no. I know of at least 2 times I got killed on lava (CC + HoC), and there's not a single suicide in my mortems...

I believe this is mistakenly reported as "killed by a soldier" in 0.9.9.6, but it should still count toward the running total displayed at the bottom.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #508 on: May 22, 2012, 05:11 »

I believe this is mistakenly reported as "killed by a soldier" in 0.9.9.6

Correct, which probably coincides with the reason why it doesn't register as a 'suicide'.

Kabrinski

• Private FC
  • A terran marine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 23, 2012, 17:42 »

How the hell do you crack the vaults-I haven't been able to figure out how to get in!

[thelaptop: Shifted to Quick Questions thread because it is more appropriate than to use a single topic.]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 21:00 by thelaptop »
We all walk a dark path...for there are only shadows. Some lighter, and some darker...but shadows all the same.

For all life is a shade of grey.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 79