Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444276 times)

Xtremekiwi

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #510 on: May 23, 2012, 22:06 »

How the hell do you crack the vaults-I haven't been able to figure out how to get in!

[thelaptop: Shifted to Quick Questions thread because it is more appropriate than to use a single topic.]
To open the vaults, you need the Arena Master's Staff, which can only be gotten by doing Chained Court+ which can only be entered after doing Hell's Arena.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #511 on: May 23, 2012, 23:34 »

Although you should be able to do without, there's a key to be found earlier in the game...

[EDIT] Oh, I totally missed Kiwi's message there... so much for trying to be subtle :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 23:38 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Sanctus

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 24, 2012, 00:08 »

or RL + a lot of Phase devices if you like

Zecks

• Speedrunner
  • Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 24, 2012, 07:35 »

To clarify, anything that destroys walls can get you in the side vaults, but you need to phase to the central one.

AM staff opens all of them when used in the vaults.
(0.9.9.6) Arch-Vile General
[23/21/16/13/5]

Kabrinski

• Private FC
  • A terran marine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 26, 2012, 08:16 »

Yeah, but don't it destroy most of the crap inside of it?
We all walk a dark path...for there are only shadows. Some lighter, and some darker...but shadows all the same.

For all life is a shade of grey.

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 26, 2012, 08:50 »

Well, no, as you need first to lower the certain wall piece, and only then will the explosion be able to destroy the vault's contents.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Malin

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 04, 2012, 13:23 »

Hi,
first of all-thanks to everyone who has been involved in the making of this game-it's really amazing how turn-based Doom can exist,and still be fun to play.
That's also the first Roguelike game,where I was able to win(previously I was struggling through Nethack for roughly four years).DoomRL also has many small details,which make it more than just bland "kill'em all".

To the point:
I suceeded at nuking Spider Mastermind,(that was my 28 charaster),unlocked some of those veery interesting challeng-games,and decided to try Angel of Marksmanship(I simply love movies and games where protagonist is armed with dual-pistols-Max Payne,Matrix,Equilibrium,Hard Boiled and so on =)).I was afraid to run out of ammo,or that pistols will be to weak to rely on them constantly.Surprisingly for me,even standard pistols backed up by Gankata ability and others,which I acqured to get it,were a formidable weapon,and I had little problems shooting everything that was moving.More than that-very few enemies could even retaliate before diying under rain of steel.But then I reached Cyberdemon,and died in,like,five seconds...

is it even possible to kill him,using standart pistols(enchanced to have bigger clip-size),duelist armor,and a couple of large medpacks?
My biggest mistake was that I didn't attend to any special levels,except of Hell's Armoury.I was too uncofident,and in the end my poor equipment was a fatal factor.But still-I was able to kill Cyberdemon previously,going all-out,using BFG,enchanced shotgun,rocketlauncher, and two red armours-with all of that my charaster was on the verge of death,while at last killed that sob.And how do I supposed to handle it with pistols alone?

I'm sorry for my horrible english,hope that I didn't made too much mistakes.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #517 on: June 04, 2012, 13:30 »

I found it actually quite easy on Gun Kata, once you get the timing right: you'll have to get the Dodgemaster skill for GK, which allows you to automatically dodge the first shot fired at you immediately after you move. As such, if you time it right, you fire a couple of shots (I think 4), sidestep and watch the missile fly away, take your remaining shots and reload, and sidestep again. Repeat.

It'll take you a few tries to get the timing right, but when you do it works like a charm. Also, remember that you can hear when Cybie reloads, which comes in handy as well.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 04, 2012, 14:05 »

Take cover -- Gun Kata isn't designed for open field combat.  Move to a safe place to reload -- reload one gun first, then use the dual-reload when it is safe.

Always move perpendicular to the direction of closest movement to Cybie and you ought to be fine.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #519 on: June 04, 2012, 14:08 »

Gun Kata isn't designed for open field combat.

It isn't? Good thing I named myself Lucky...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 04, 2012, 14:13 »

Under a horribly broken DM, it was since you could dodge all non hit-scan projectiles.  MGK is great if you have to take on a swarm of weak-ish things, since the auto-reload per kill + speed in movement are your friends.  But when you are taking on a pack of bigger things, the dodging + speed will help you get cover faster than just dancing all over the battlefield and killing 'em faster.  It's an awesome duelling master trait though, since you have great mobility to assist you.
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #521 on: June 04, 2012, 14:25 »

You're right about that, of course, but in the case being discussed (single opponent who fires single shots), running for cover is pointless. I'd say more dangerous even, due to the rockets' blast radius. Personally, I'd keep as far away from cover as I could get in this particular case, seeing as you're probably also going to need room to back up once Cybie decides he'll have a better chance when he gets closer...

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 07, 2012, 13:36 »

Is pistol-whipping still disallowed on strongman badges etc., or has that already been fixed? I think I read that it is fixed, but I'd hate to be wrong about it.

Edit: It's bad enough that when I get to hell on my strongman runs, I always forget to put longinus away =(
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 07, 2012, 20:27 »

Is pistol-whipping still disallowed on strongman badges etc., or has that already been fixed? I think I read that it is fixed, but I'd hate to be wrong about it.

If you actually kill an enemy with your fists, it shouldn't matter what weapon you have equipped, the kill is supposed to count as fists.  However, if an enemy dies that you didn't kill directly (e.g. self-death, friendly-death, lava), the kill will count as your currently equipped weapon.  So, running around with a weapon equipped is not advisable when going for Strongman badges.  Without digging into the code again, I'm not quite 100% sure though.

Also, there might be a bug with calculating which weapon was used to kill an enemy when Juggler is equipped in the current version.  I don't remember if that was fixed before or after release.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26 »

OK, thanks. I won't be getting juggler, so that is no an issue with me. I tend to clear the entrance only to realize I didn't put my starting pistol away, though, so I wanted to know if I should continue with that run.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79