Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444567 times)

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #555 on: December 27, 2012, 09:59 »

How should I do Phobos Base Entry for Destroyer Diamond (damageless AoMC)? I always get hit few times by formers.
It was much easier when player started in the corner of the map.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:22 by Rajhin »
20/26 4/17
33/50

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 27, 2012, 10:08 »

To get the badge, you need to finish with untouchable cross, which is awarded for taking 50 damage and less, so you can take some damage. A bit of warning - I have a feeling this badge is bugged in the current version.

In any case, it is possible to do the entry without taking a scratch, but it takes a bit of luck. Maybe someone else will have some tips?
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 27, 2012, 10:30 »

in some entries, you can abuse trees and try to run the first few enemies out of ammo, but this strategy is not guaranteed to survive later versions.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 27, 2012, 10:34 »

To get the badge, you need to finish with untouchable cross, which is awarded for taking 50 damage and less, so you can take some damage. A bit of warning - I have a feeling this badge is bugged in the current version.
In any case, it is possible to do the entry without taking a scratch, but it takes a bit of luck. Maybe someone else will have some tips?
Too much random for me. I played lot of AoHu recently (for Everyman Diamond) and found that game becomes very easy on the latter levels when you get your hyperblaster and 300+% speed, but I don't know what to do to avoid damage on the first levels, especially without Int2 and corners to giftdrop.
20/26 4/17
33/50

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39 »

One tip, perhaps: Try taking cover behind a tree against former humans. They will happily shoot the tree, and will run out of ammo after firing 30 rounds.
It does take quite some luck to make it unscathed through several of them in succession, and nearly impossible against two or more at once, doubly so if they come from different sides. And it does not help at all against seargants, shrapnel damage goes right through the trees.
But it's better than nothing.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 28, 2012, 01:15 »

^ I couldn't have put it better, ZicherCZ.  :)

This was a problem that plagued me when I was going for Destroyer Diamond.  (Before I realized that there's a bug that makes it impossible to get, even if you fulfill the conditions)  I must've restarted the game about a hundred times; level 1 was definitely the biggest hurdle to success.  Once you've eliminated everyone outside the structure, the rest is a relatively simple case of cornershooting, preferably with the Shotgun, but those guys on the outside at the beginning can come from any direction, and frequently multiple directions, and those trees really don't offer the best cover.  (Though they're better than nothing; I've used the same trick of running Former Humans out of ammo many times)  ;)

Considering all this, I really don't get how 2Dev can claim to be able to consistently play damageless games.  :|
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Rajhin

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 28, 2012, 03:48 »

I tried few more times and i think i have found some kind of answer.
I leave a gift and depart to the edge of sight thus forcing formers to make their turn first. With their 90% speed I can shoot them two times (if there only one of them at the time) and when sergeant is lured I can take his shotgun and make some radarshooting.
there's a bug that makes it impossible to get, even if you fulfill the conditions
Bad news for me.
20/26 4/17
33/50

Q2ZOv

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06 »

Made some attempts and recorded them. In fact I didn't feel like it is really that hard to finish Phobos entry damageless. Yes sometimes bad luck just pursues you and you fail in several attempts in a row and also after some time you get tired and probability of winning lowers. But when you are concentrated it is not that hard.

In record I had ~50% of successful attempts. Main strategies are: running(for greater dodge chance), shooting in the door direction when hear that it is opened, radarshooting even with pistol in hands, outrunning formers, giftdropping in some special places. Didn't use the method described by Rajhin but I think it is good and useful.  Bad thing is that I was always a scout. Also my wait count was set to really big number because I played a bit of N! angel of patience mod before making that attempts. So with reasonable wait count it should take a bit more time.
0.9.9.7 Imp Corporal
[6/3/2/1/1/0]
0.9.9.6 Cyberdemon God Hand
[24/22/22/17/15]

2DeviationsOut

« Reply #563 on: December 28, 2012, 23:17 »

As far as the Entry goes, I use trees to make enemies waste their ammo, and by firing at them from outside LOS with Aimed Shots. Basically, most of my crazy stuff hinges on the fact that enemies will always move predictably towards you once you hit them. Once you've tagged an enemy, they're effectively dead.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 28, 2012, 23:50 »

Basically, most of my crazy stuff hinges on the fact that enemies will always move predictably towards you once you hit them. Once you've tagged an enemy, they're effectively dead.
So the correct answer is to make the AI realise that it is being played for chumps and let it rethink its strategy.

I like how this is going.

* thelaptop grins evilly
I computed, therefore I was.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #565 on: December 29, 2012, 03:05 »

So the correct answer is to make the AI realise that it is being played for chumps and let it rethink its strategy.

I like how this is going.

* thelaptop grins evilly

Maybe this can translate realizing the direction of incoming fire and seeking the closest appropriate cover and/or returning fire...and then our game just got harder! Nope, I prefer the current model where only 1 player in 1000 can beat all of last verison's challenges! *nod to TwoDev*
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 30, 2012, 07:14 »

Does using a nuke on Dis 8 prevent the Untouchable series of badges?
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 05, 2013, 23:57 »

Had a bit of a silly thought and then turned it into a rather silly question.

Does health decay count as "taking damage" as far as Untouchable Badge/Medal/Cross go?
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 06, 2013, 01:11 »

Had a bit of a silly thought and then turned it into a rather silly question.

Does health decay count as "taking damage" as far as Untouchable Badge/Medal/Cross go?
Nope, as well as it doesn't count towards damageless medals (Cyberdemon's Head etc.).
If you encounter such a behavior, it's a bug. Report it then, please.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 09, 2013, 22:02 »

For Marine builds

Ironman gives 10 points of extra health

How much does one point of badass give? if I have 150% health then does that give me more than 10 points?

Is it worth skipping straight to badass without taking any ironman?

thanks
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 79