Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444284 times)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #570 on: February 10, 2013, 00:12 »

For Marine builds
Ironman gives 10 points of extra health

How much does one point of badass give? if I have 150% health then does that give me more than 10 points?

Is it worth skipping straight to badass without taking any ironman?

thanks
Badass is, IMHO, always a good trait to have, especially for later game, when Supercharge globes start to become way more common. It effectively raises your maxHP by 50% per level, and especially with Ironman makes a great combination.

If you are a Marine with no Ironman, then your health does _not_ drop automatically at less or equal to 60HP as a normal maximum, 90HP with Bad1 and 120HP with Bad2. 60HP is still your natural maximum (medpacks will not heal you over this value, bar Survivalist) and 120HP is your "supercharge" maximum - nothing will get you over this.

The numbers are even nicer with levels in Ironman. With Iro1, the values described above change to 70/105/140, then 80/120/160 with Iro2, up to 110/165/220 with Iro5. Still talking Marines here - Scouts and Techs have these values lower by 10/15/20HP.

Compared to other talents and Marine builds, Bad1 is a requirement for Vampyre and Army of the Dead (and maybe Survivalist? Can't recall now) master traits - it's really likely that you are going to take Bad1 at level 4, after Brute2 and Berserker, or Rel2 and Shottyman respectively. The second level can usually wait until after you get the master trait, but especially on harder difficulties and longer games (and thereby more levels for you) you"ll want to pick it somewhere along the way.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

deathknight1728

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 16, 2013, 08:24 »

Is melee possible in this game? Whenever I play an rpg I always like to make a melee char and use finesse and skill to take enemies down. Id like to do that in this game as there are traits for it but I am not sure.

Has anyone used melee effectively?

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15 »

Is melee possible in this game? Whenever I play an rpg I always like to make a melee char and use finesse and skill to take enemies down. Id like to do that in this game as there are traits for it but I am not sure.

Is it a joke? DoomRL more favorite to melee build then for shooting. Angel of Berserk - one of first couple of challenges possible (you can't use anything but melee weapon). A lot of medals and badges devoted to melee chars - use only melee weapon, use only knifes & firsts, kill everything with bare hands and so on. One 'special' level is only for melee (you can't shoot there). If you are read carefully postmortem forum you can find that on Nightmare! more successful wins as a true berserk then as gun man. sorry for my ugly English )
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 16, 2013, 17:45 »

Surely it is possible.  However while melee is a viable and fun way to build your character DoomRL is mostly about shooting. I suggest you to first learn the game a bit and only after that pursue melee path. In my opinion melee in DoomRL mostly is about knowing tricks of enemy AI, level design and so on.
Oh, and while there are some cases where melee builds are superior, they are not many. Most of the time ranged combat is preferred.
(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 16, 2013, 18:08 »

Melee is quite possible in normal play, because you have  guaranteed chainsaw and LS/AS/DS on special levels, but very problematic in Ao100, because there is next to zero melee weapons found. Except plain combat knives, of cause.

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51 »

Question 1: is armor damage calculated before or after resistances applied? For example, if I have 95% fire resistance and hit for 20 fire damage, will armor be damaged as it is 20 damage, or 1?

Question 2: is dodge chance from HR and tactical boots/armor working for all shots in burst of commandos etc?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:21 by tylor »

IronBeer

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Carry on, citizen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05 »

Question 1: is armor damage calculated before or after resistances applied? For example, if I have 95% fire resistance and hit for 20 fire damage, will armor be damaged as it is 20 damage, or 1?

Question 2: is dodge chance from HR and tactical boots/armor working for all shots in burst of commandos etc?
Good questions.

1.) I don't have an empirical backup to my answer, but personal experience suggests that resistances are applied first.

2.) Dodge chances are calculated individually for each shot in a burst. This also means that Dodgemaster is not terribly helpful against Arachnotrons and Commandos, since the trait only procs against the first shot of a barrage.
0.9.9.7 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant
[19/12/5/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2013, 16:10 »

From what I know, and I may be off here:
Resists are applied _before_ armor. You still take at least one HP damage no matter what, bar Survavilist master trait.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?

deathknight1728

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2013, 05:42 »

Im starting to wonder if melee works even at all in the later levels. Im having trouble with which perks/traits to pick. I want to either go with a marine or scout and then go all out. I have a marine that was lvl 5 and he was doing alright until the demon with spider legs came at me (forget the name). I was reading up on the wiki and a few options were present that I can take advantage of/need explaining of.

1-Finesse, says that it allows you to attack faster yet I don't think you can get more than 1 attack per round so it might be useless.

2-From what it looks like, Tough as nails is better than ironman when you have armor as when you don't it does nothing. Ironman gives 10 health which counts all the time, but tan doubles armor effects. This whole thing is confusing.

3-Hellrunner might be good for gun builds but since you can't dodge melee attacks with it, it might be next to useless.

If anyone can explain these 3 things to me, I'd really like to know as Ive read the wiki and all these tactics Im learning about that I didn't know before. Thanks.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19 »

1.There's no such thing as round in DoomRL. Read page about Time on wiki.
2.Each level of TaN adds 1 armor. 1 armor = -1 dmg taken. Simple as that. Damage taken can not be reduced lower than 1.
3.Wrong. It's very useful as before you melee someone you need to get into melee range first. HR helps you do that.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2013, 06:27 »

Im starting to wonder if melee works even at all in the later levels. Im having trouble with which perks/traits to pick. I want to either go with a marine or scout and then go all out. I have a marine that was lvl 5 and he was doing alright until the demon with spider legs came at me (forget the name). I was reading up on the wiki and a few options were present that I can take advantage of/need explaining of.

1-Finesse, says that it allows you to attack faster yet I don't think you can get more than 1 attack per round so it might be useless.

2-From what it looks like, Tough as nails is better than ironman when you have armor as when you don't it does nothing. Ironman gives 10 health which counts all the time, but tan doubles armor effects. This whole thing is confusing.

3-Hellrunner might be good for gun builds but since you can't dodge melee attacks with it, it might be next to useless.

If anyone can explain these 3 things to me, I'd really like to know as Ive read the wiki and all these tactics Im learning about that I didn't know before. Thanks.

OK, here goes:
1) Finesse shortens the time between attacks by 20% per level. That means that instead of a 1.0s basic melee attack you get to 0.6s with Fin2, efectively making your attacks nearly twice as fast. That means you can attack multiple times before the enemy can retaliate. It does matter mostly for tougher enemies, since with Fin they can get less chances to attack you before they fall.
2) You have it a bit wrong. TaN works as a "natural" 1 point of armor per level, even if you wear nothing else. It's mostly useful against larger volleys of weaker attacks (like the captain's chaingun or arach's plasma burst), and of course is very helpful if you have some armor with resists (these are applied first). Ironman gives a flat 10 maxHP boost per level. Note that Iro makes it harder for berserk to kick in after a particularly damaging attack, since the damage needed is based on maxHP.
3) Hellrunner's dodging is indeed useless in melee, however it allows you to close to melee range way quicker, allowing the enemies less attacks before you get there. Not as useful as for gun builds, but still I wouldn't dare to call this trait useless, especially with more levels of HR and some movespeed-improving armor or boots.

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57 »

Fin reduces attack time by 15% not by 20%.

felttippen

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • hopes for shotgun compatible weapon packs
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2013, 13:55 »

Hi everyone!

Haven´t played DoomRL for a long time and wanted to start again....
So here is my question: What is the easiest wayto play with the old ascii graphical style and a gamepad?
Thanks in advance, really want to reexperience this game!
[24|19|17|12|5|1]
Archvile  General

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2013, 17:47 »

Hi everyone!

Haven´t played DoomRL for a long time and wanted to start again....
So here is my question: What is the easiest wayto play with the old ascii graphical style and a gamepad?
Thanks in advance, really want to reexperience this game!
,5ffr

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 07, 2013, 04:00 »

For console, there's a command line option.
doomrl -console, on Windows (a batch is available in the game's folder). I guess it's the same for Linux
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79