Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444258 times)

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18 »

For console, there's a command line option.
doomrl -console, on Windows (a batch is available in the game's folder). I guess it's the same for Linux
Oh, I didn't understood question:)
I use doomrl_console.bat for this. Graphic version is cute, but too slow (because movement is animated) and too uninformative (because it scrolls even on 1920x1080)

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2013, 06:35 »

and too uninformative
You can reduce the tiles size, by setting FullscreenTileMult (or WindowedTileMult) to 1.
Default of -1 doubles tiles size on my screen (1680*1050), but with normal sized tiles, I see all the height of the level, and enough width.

I still have to scroll a little to see left/right edges of the level, indeed, but I can't imagine using ascii just to have full level on the screen.

Btw, an option to reduce tile's size (or better, a possibility to use custom graphics sets) would be welcome.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 08, 2013, 16:17 »

Just got imploded by an arachnotron in the spider's lair :(

Does anyone know where I could find the number of damages you take when an enemy teleports on you ?

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 08, 2013, 17:52 »

Just got imploded by an arachnotron in the spider's lair :(

Does anyone know where I could find the number of damages you take when an enemy teleports on you ?
Thomas' post here says that an enemy teleporting onto you will deal 10 damage and you teleporting onto an enemy will instantly kill them. The post was from 2009 so it's possible the damages were changed since then.
Use power for power.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2013, 13:27 »

Quick question:

When (if ever) will DoomRL 0.9.9.7 be released? It was due before New Years Day, 2013!
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2013, 14:59 »

It will never be released.  0.9.9.6 is the last version.  ;-)

On a more serious note, Beta 4 is in progress at the moment.  The release is always the same as before: When It's Done.
I computed, therefore I was.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 11, 2013, 17:37 »

The release is always the same as before: When It's Done

I have no doubts that there is always things to improve and bugs to correct, but has the possibility to make releases more frequent (or public bêta, or anything of that kind) been considered ?
Yearly releases are probably more polished than the average, but I really think it delays feedbacks (and some fixes, like fireangel) too much :/

I don't follow the other forge's projects, and discovered doomRL only recently, but beeing myself way too much perfectionnist, I learnt how bad it can be to always delay things... and wondered if there is any good reason to have so much delays.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:13 by Evilpotatoe »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 11, 2013, 20:35 »

No, each release is effectively a public beta for DoomRL 1.0 -- if you want to test things more frequently, the rule of thumb around here is to be a supporter and get access that way.  Just because the beta is closed doesn't mean that there's no one testing things.

Also, even though we have many contributing programmers here and there, bear in mind that Chaosforge is [still] mostly one person, namely Kornel, and that he (like all of us really) does this as his hobby.  When life catches up, that takes a higher priority over the 4 rogue-likes that he is making releases of.

Be patient.  =)  If you can't wait to test the latest build, donate some small amount of money and be a supporter.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 11, 2013, 20:45 »

I have no doubts that there is always things to improve and bugs to correct, but has the possibility to make releases more frequent (or public bêta, or anything of that kind) been considered ?

It has.  Actually, for a while, they had a pretty good regular release schedule as I recall.  0.9.9.2 to 0.9.9.6 all came out in a pretty timely manner.  Things stalled at 0.9.9.6 for a number of reasons, I think, (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) including interest turning toward Aliensrl for a while, (which is a pretty cool game, if you haven't tried it) and the simple fact that this new version is taking a lot of tweaking, reworking, and rebalancing.  I'm guessing I'm not allowed to spoil anything, but I think it's okay for me to say that it has new weapons and items, new special levels, new challenge modes, and new badges.  I have to imagine that getting all that to function properly has to be a lot of work!

So, as Thelaptop says, be patient; it will all come together with time.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #594 on: March 12, 2013, 03:59 »

oh yeah.

I kept up with the cia.vc svn page, and some of the tweaks were pretty sick. I don't know how much I can say, but I think its safe to mention dual-angels, weapon tweaks/balances, enemy ai is being reworked, some core functions and whatnot are being changed, the modding is gonna be different, the wall will be overhauled, and others.

The cia.vc went down a while ago, so I don't know much more than that.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 12, 2013, 10:26 »

Oh, it's not about patience :)
I've been waiting for monthes, of course... but I'm used to waiting, and won't cry about delays while my only contributions atm are forum posts, and a few wiki edits.

I still think that delaying the (full community) feedbacks isn't the best choice, but on the other hand, I could do the same if I was Kornel... and know what it is, not to want to release something unfinished.

The reason why I think it's bad, tough, is that I see so much discussions about imbalance... of weapons / assemblies / masteries... I think the more feedback come, the best the game will be (creating Tac boots every game pisses me off so much... I'd like to craft something else.. boots with activable haste / jumping / resistance / whatever... but just have some more options !)
I personally still have a few pages of feedback I started to wrote when I discovered the game, waiting for the 0.9.9.7 to be updated, then posted :p
Initially, it was supposed to be a "feedback mail" because I liked the game, but I got so many improvement suggestions... it kinda overgrown.

Anyway, I guess the major problem is that Kornel just doesn't have enough time (and I also got to consider doomRL isn't his only work, indeed).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:15 by Evilpotatoe »

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 19, 2013, 04:34 »

What can I gain from a single Sniper mod, if I already have EE2 (and SoG5)?
I'm carrying it around now, but feel like dumping it.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 19, 2013, 05:07 »

Since precision decreases with every tile of distance, adding a sniper should improves accuracy, to shoot out of your firing range, whatever level of EE you got.
I think it gives you 98% unmodified at any range, just divided by 2 if you don't see target. (thus, making other levels of EE useless, except maybe for storm bolter).

Also, in case you find a 2nd one (this sometimes happens.. or you could be scavenger), you'll be able to remove the /2 malus for out-of sight target, which is quite overpowered.

Or you could make a plasma shotgun... but I guess you don't use them much with SoG5.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:23 by Evilpotatoe »

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 19, 2013, 05:33 »

Thanks.
I did find a second one, but I already shifted to energy pistols.
I guess I won't carry bullets around anyway, unless I find a combat pistol, so no double-sniper gun anyway. Unless I run into another blaster in the nearest time :D
I am a Scavenger, btw.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #599 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59 »

DoomRL 0.9.9.7 has gone GOLD! Expect a release in 36hrs!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 79