Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444374 times)

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2013, 07:29 »

DoomRL 0.9.9.7 has gone GOLD! Expect a release in 36hrs!
Off topic, I request a ban !

More seriously, I was wondering what are, precisely, the restrictions for "using knives and fists" challenges ?
  • Can I kill an enemy while wearing acid spitter (for the resistance) ? I'm pretty sure this counts as a kill with worn weapon, at least, in 0.9.9.6 :(
  • Can I use rockets / longinus's alt fire to blow-up walls ? (or any sort non-living things), or will the shots count, and prevent me from getting my badge ?
  • Can I use a combat translocator ? (bah, why would I anyway)
  • Can I wound enemies (e.g. bosses) with weapons as long as I finish them with knives or fists ? (would seem ridiculous ^^)
  • Is the butcher's cleaver allowed ? IIRC, it counts as a blade, but allowing to use it in challenges requiring "knives & fists" would seem quite easy to me.
  • I think using scythe's alt fire, or nuking with a trigun marks the enemies as killed with it, but what if I overload a nuclear weapon ? do I use said weapon, or my fists when game count kills ? Finally, can I, at least, nuke using a nuke ?
  • I guess shockwave/hellwave packs and fire skulls are ok, since they are not weapons, right ?
  • anything else I should know ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:54 by Evilpotatoe »
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2013, 08:48 »

• Can I kill an enemy while wearing acid spitter (for the resistance) ? I'm pretty sure this counts as a kill with worn weapon, at least, in 0.9.9.6 :(
  • Can I use rockets / longinus's alt fire to blow-up walls ? (or any sort non-living things), or will the shots count, and prevent me from getting my badge ?
  • Can I use a combat translocator ? (bah, why would I anyway)
  • Can I wound enemies (e.g. bosses) with weapons as long as I finish them with knives or fists ? (would seem ridiculous ^^)
  • Is the butcher's cleaver allowed ? IIRC, it counts as a blade, but allowing to use it in challenges requiring "knives & fists" would seem quite easy to me.
  • I think using scythe's alt fire, or nuking with a trigun marks the enemies as killed with it, but what if I overload a nuclear weapon ? do I use said weapon, or my fists when game count kills ? Finally, can I, at least, nuke using a nuke ?
  • I guess shockwave/hellwave packs and fire skulls are ok, since they are not weapons, right ?
  • anything else I should know ?
IIRC:
1) Think of it as if you were smacking the demon with the Acid Spitter, instead of a knife ;). This appears to be fixed in 0997.
2) As long as you don't kill anything with those shots, you're free to go. In fact, you can even injure the opponents freely, unless you land the killing blow with a weapon.
3) Yep.
4) Ah, explained in 2). Only the killing blow counts.
5) Yep, BC is allowed.
6) Nope, any such attacks are disallowed for the badges' purpose (IIRC).
7) Hmm ... Dunno here.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 19, 2013, 15:06 »

Unrelated kills count towards weapon equipped at the moment of enemy death. By unrelated i mean those what were made by smacking or shooting with equipped weapon. Not sure about smacking.
That means that Trigun is no-go as nuke is instant. Overcharge is okay as long you don't eqiup something other than a knife. Packs and skulls can be used too.

(0.9.9.6 - ?) Arch-Vile Chaos Lt. Colonel [26|20|18|16|12|2]

Ashannar

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Shottyhead Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2013, 21:40 »

A while back, 2DeviationsOut noted that a lot of the crazier stuff he pulled off relied on the fact that AI charges straight for you once you tag them with a shot. In response to this, thelaptop replied:

So the correct answer is to make the AI realise that it is being played for chumps and let it rethink its strategy.

I like how this is going.

* thelaptop grins evilly

In playing the new version, I have noticed that enemies don't behave ENTIRELY predictably once they've been tagged. They USUALLY do, but I've been surprised more than a few times. Is this a change in 0.9.9.7?
Hell Baron Major (0.9.9.7) 22 18 12 1 0 0

e^cha

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 22, 2013, 12:03 »

Can I configure mouse? (0.9.9.7)
Thanks.

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43 »

Can I configure mouse? (0.9.9.7)
Thanks.
Unfortunately, not yet.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #606 on: March 26, 2013, 08:57 »

Doing A100 HNTR, Scout INT2 FIN2 WK SOG. Found a GCB (for the first time ever, so finally!), building:

* An energy pistol
* A hyperblaster
* A tactical RL

Any ideas as to how well DG would work between GCB and Energy pistol? Or screw the EP altogether? What to use for backup, the hyperblaster or the RL?

I'm guessing DG + RL, but I just know someone's going to have other ideas...

EDIT: nevermind. It sucks ass when you want to aim a pistol at a trapped group of mancubi about 10 tiles away and fail to correctly hit the 'f' key. Death by interpretative dance :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:11 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14 »

I think DG isn't going to help much. I assume you'll be mostly using GCB in single and sometime semi-auto modes so dual shooting from GCB and EP will empty EP while GCB will still have 12 bullets left. Of course you can try reloading in the middle of the fight but it's unconvenient.
Another reason not to use DG is that it's annoying to constantly setup 2 pistols when you also use other weapons.
My advice: screw DG, get SoG3, get EEm after that take SoB(optional, but it helps), then max SoG after lvl12.
However if you find combat pistol, then DG is worth taking.

Added after reading edited version: ouch.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #608 on: March 26, 2013, 10:40 »

ouch.

Yeah that kinda stung. Luckily this game is great for helping me cope with defeat :)

Thanks for the input though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:43 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Flame_US3r

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 29, 2013, 14:22 »

1. When throwing a weapon, eg. Combat Knife/Mjollnir, is accuracy determined by Melee or Ranged chance to hit?
2. On that note, is Mjollnir on par with other melee weapons in it's current state (1D15; avg 8 dmg, throw+return attack)?

I'm currently attempting a Marine MAD:AoSh and AoConfidence dual-angel, and the RNG has been good to me. I got a plasmatic shotgun AND a Sniper mod pack for defeating the shamblers. Due to some early power mods, I already have an elephant gun and a couple of shell boxes.

3. Since I have MAD, how useful is 7d3 plasma dmg vs. 12d3 elephant gun? (Plasmatic shotgun does have 30/30, 3 ammo/shot = 10 shots, but I have reloader)
4. Which shotgun would be a good use of my sniper mod + power mod for for a plasmatic upgrade?
The Shrieker shrieks!

AlterAsc

• Supporter
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 29, 2013, 15:09 »

Plasma shotguns tend to destroy walls when you cornershoot.
And sinse you're playing with MAD you couldn't care less about damage type, it's all piercing for you.
So for general usage elephant is better, for some desperate open-field fighting use plasma shotgun.
Do not assemble plasmatic anything, it's a waste for MAD build.

Evilpotatoe

• Backer
  • Major
  • Lost Soul corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 29, 2013, 17:50 »

Indeed, but a plasma shotgun can still be useful to gib, especially in the mortuary.
Badges - [26/26/26/22/9/2] - 42/43

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 30, 2013, 09:18 »

Opinion time!
Any chance Skull Silver (clear City of Skulls/Abyssal Plains on Angel of Red Alert) is easier on Abyssal Plains, since Agony Elemental is fixed to spawn near the stairs?
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 30, 2013, 11:22 »

Do not assemble plasmatic anything, it's a waste for MAD build.
AoSh. Sometimes need destroy walls. Can't use RL/BFG/plasmagun. Plasmatic shotgun is the best thing you can do. Now it's a key to Wall (Hell Armory first - goos place for random mod pack). And useful later, when a lot of walls and lava around door. It uses standard shells, do a good damage, and destroy walls. Drop plasma shotgun, that strange device need plasma cells, uses 3 per shot and has damage only 7d3.
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2013, 11:27 »

Drop plasma shotgun, that strange device need plasma cells, uses 3 per shot and has damage only 7d3.

I'd say that using cells is a plus in late game, where shells are very scarce. I've never had it drop in a shotgun game though.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 79