Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444361 times)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #750 on: August 31, 2013, 10:15 »

So, I'm new, and I've burned through 50 Doomguys so far. My 3 highest scores are all at the same level: Hell's Armory. How the hell do I beat the dual Shamblers? I've tried explosives in my first run (With a Napalm launcher, was before I found out they're resilient against explosions and invincible against liquids), a Survivalist specced Marine in the second (Ate through me like butter), and a Shottyhead (Almost, one more level and I could've picked it) Scout.

Can't even kill one of them, is there something in the chamber they spawn out of that I can use?

I'm on the medium difficulty, I think, Hey, Not Too Rough.

Try a Army of the Dead Marine, preferably armed with a double shotgun. Come close to them and blast away, don't reload manually - use move-reloading instead. Running tactics help to give you some extra dodging edge.
Be sure to employ cornershooting as much as possible.
Their damage type is plasma - wear a blue armor or something that confers plasma resistance.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 31, 2013, 10:58 »

Or alternatively, just skip Hells Armory alltogether :-)
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #752 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37 »

Ah, that was a very nasty surprise for me, too, the first time I ran into them - luckily I got a lot of good advice.

Besides the MAD, which does indeed work like a charm, I can highly recommend a melee build, too.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 31, 2013, 12:18 »

Thanks for the advice, especially about the blue armor.

And I can't skip Hell's Armory(Oops, apparently it's not called Hell's Armory. I dunno, I thought it was. The one with the dual shamblers. :P) and say I have balls, I'm gonna abuse myself as a new player.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:23 by Eyro »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #754 on: August 31, 2013, 12:29 »

Oops, apparently it's not called Hell's Armory. I dunno, I thought it was. The one with the dual shamblers. :P)

It's Deimos Lab, but you're forgiven ;)

And there's no shame in skipping a level or two. With this attitude you'll be burning another 50x50 Doomguy before you finish the Unholy Cathedral, let alone the Mortuary. Take your time to get familiar with the game first, once you get confident in your abilities, start expanding your horizon.

Though half of the people here will tell you otherwise, of course... :)

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2013, 14:20 »

Well, I come from Dwarf Fortress so I'm all like "TRIAL BY FIRE YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH". If only Doom originally came out with futuristic maces. I love me some maces.

It's amazing how Roguelikes can take horrible mechanics in most games and make them the star feature and actually fun.

So, went Malicious Blades, but when I got to the staircase to take me to Deimos's Lab, it took me to Hell's Armory instead, with just one Shambler. Did I skip something or is it random? I managed to get to the Wall before my inexperience of remembering to use phase capsules killed me. On the bright side, I actually only went through 42 Doomguys to get that far. Is this a normal "Progress" or am I slow or fast?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #756 on: August 31, 2013, 14:29 »

Some of the special levels are paired, meaning you get either of the two on any given run. Hell's Armory (1 Shambler) and Deimos Lab (in stereo) are one such example.

As to slow/fast progress: look at some of the post mortems on the forum, and look at the win/death ratios, especially where first wins are concerned. My very first win came in about 20 games, iirc, but that's mainly because I used to quit before getting killed when things weren't going well enough to my tastes.

I think number of Doomguys sent to their deaths means... well... nothing, really. It's too variable.

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 31, 2013, 14:34 »

I think number of Doomguys sent to their deaths means... well... nothing, really. It's too variable.

Yeah, totally not suggesting that dying more = More skill. I was thinking getting that far after 42 attempts, don't know if that's average or slow or what, ya know?

But yeah, thanks for the tip on paired levels.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 31, 2013, 19:09 »

Hell's Armory doesn't have two shamblers, it only has one.  You're referring to the other paired level.

Try to isolate one of them and then blasting the hell out of them with a shotgun at close range if shotguns are your thing.  Beating most enemies can be usually reduced to the following mantra:
  • Take cover
  • Isolate enemy
  • Fire at enemy trying to deal maximal damage as possible
  • Dodge if cover is broken
  • Go back to step 1 unless you can kill that enemy in one shot and there are no others
I computed, therefore I was.

Cacodemon_hugs

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Acronyms for Noobs
« Reply #759 on: September 01, 2013, 07:37 »

Hi, I'm what is known in gaming circles as a n00b.
Nevertheless, I got turned on to DoomRL just a little bit ago, and am enamored with the gameplay as well as the nostalgia that playing it made me feel when I started.
Soon after I started really trying to figure this game out, I found the forums.
Only, Holy-good-golly-giraffe-o-bots are there an enormous amount of acronyms that these users post.
I'm sure with careful consideration, I could hide behind my screen and try to decode them. Likely, not as difficult as I'd be anticipating, but certainly a whole lot less fun than creating my first post. I've easily discovered that the Angel games are referred to akin their names, but I'm not sure of most the others I see floating around.
Plus, I thought an easily found post would be a great thing (for n00bies like myself) to find.
Unless there already is one, in which case, curse my rotten inabilities!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Acronyms for Noobs
« Reply #760 on: September 01, 2013, 08:05 »

Alright, there are three classes of acronyms, in-game, post-mortem and nicknames.
  • In-game: Traits (Iro, TaN, SoB etc) and challenges (AoB, AoMr, Ao100 etc) that appear in-game.  The trait acronyms are often the first three letters of a trait Iroman, or initials Son of a Gun.  Challenges are often named with the convention of "Ao" (Angel of) followed by either the first two letters of the challenge or something that is more or less "intuitive" -- the system is not completely systematic.  Best way to find out about challenge acronyms is either from the high scores page or from reading the Badge descriptions.
  • Post-mortem: Read Malek's mortem guidelines for a full list of mortem acronyms.  These overlap with the in-game ones.  YA* (Yet Another) is used to denote a win (YAVP), full win (YAFW), 100% kills win (YAAM), or death (YASD).
  • Nicknames: These are often community generated.  So things like "shotty" for shotgun, "double shotty" for double shotgun, "DS" for DragonSlayer, "BA" for Berserker Amour, "LS" for Longinus Spear, "Cybie" for the cyberdemon, "Spidey" for the Spider Mastermind.  This is not something that is too hard to pick up if you are already familiar with the in-game stuff.

I'm going to leave this here for a bit, and then probably merge this with the Quick Questions thread.  Part of joining a forum is to lurk to learn the lingo, and in our case, since we are based around some games, most of the lingo comes from there.  =)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
Re: Acronyms for Noobs
« Reply #761 on: September 02, 2013, 04:50 »

Hi and welcome!

I'd like to add that the acronyms of master traits are a bit unintuitive in that they are always preceded my M for master, so MVm is Vampyre, MAD is Army of the Dead, MSc is Scavenger etc. And you can check out a lot of stuff on the wiki.

There are obviously spoilers galore there, depending on what you consider a spoiler. For example, I decided never to look up the different before discovering them myself, though most of the people here do. (and despite having a couple of diamonds, I still don't know most of the master assemblies).
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55 »

Personally, I've skipped the unchained court (the version after beating Hell's Arena), Mortuary and Lava Pits on most of my runs until I was able to beat the game on UV most of the time. Oh, and the Unholy Cathedral. I rarely venture there outside a dedicated melee build.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 02, 2013, 20:32 »

OK, so I went into Hurt Me Plenty with the intention of going MCe (I think that's the Cateye shorthand :P). This all changed when on level 4 I met Ms. Nuclear Plasma Rifle. That changed things up. I stuck an agility mod on it (Might've been a bit too quick on that one), and now I'm planning to grab Juggler to switch to another rapidfire when it needs to recharge, and grab Whizkid so I can mod it out (No idea if I can assemble it into anything).

Should I keep going to grab MCe (Currently have a level of EE, a level of Int, and 2 levels of SoB), or should I use the chance to try out a masterless build with all these extra traits I want? (Or just, you know, postpone the master trait, but maybe keeping TaN or Rel open would benefit).

Also thinking of plopping two bulk mods on the Plasma rifle, but no idea if it can assemble into something or if power/agility/etc might be better.

Of course, I'll treat any posts as recommendations, not follow it blindly. I think what I want to know if any of these options are "God awful bad" or "Stupidly fun" rather than "The most optimal".

Edit: Just entered one of those rooms that usually contain a ton of demons or lost souls with goodies, got a Onyx armor and a Nano pack. Holy crap all stuff I've never had. o-o
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 20:37 by Eyro »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 02, 2013, 21:33 »

MCe is a very useful general purpose Master -- that extra two range of sight can allow you to snipe things, for various definitions of snipe.

If you want to do masterless, remember to be willing to switch weapons depending on the situation.

And don't worry.  What the RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 79