Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444319 times)

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2013, 11:59 »

I got a question on health packs, I feel like in Phobos its WAY easy to get them, even if a former picks one up you can usually one shot them or kill them before they use it, the issue is once I reach Deimos and Barons and Knights are aplenty.  Are there any specific strategies you guys have for making sure you're still picking up health packs around those floors?
Cacodemon Sergeant Major (Version 0.9.9.7)
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2013, 13:32 »

Depending on the type of game, I tend to travel carrying 3 health packs, preferably large ones. I hardly ever burn through these fast enough to worry about picking up another - and I'm not even that much of a good player. Sooner or later you'll find a replacement, be it by luck or by being able to kill a Hell Knight fast enough. In the meantime, just focus on not getting hit.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2013, 19:12 »

That's probably the major weakness in my playstyle - whereas it'd be more effective to hoard rockets, I hoard medipacks instead, with up to about 8-9 slots in my inventory being filled with medipacks I carried all the way from Phobos that I don't use.

As for finding Medipacks? They're more common then you'd expect, it's just that the monsters get to them first. Unless you're TH2 SoB 5 with a plasma rifle or something you're not going to be able to stop barons from using them, and using excessive firepower will only cause the drop to go up in smoke. I'd say to play more carefully and see if you can avoid using them until you REALLY need them in later levels.

If you're wondering about finding large Medipacks, you get 1 from the arena, 2 from the Anamoly and to compensate you for even having the courage to go in there, you find 2 in the Phobos Lab. Mind you, unless you had MMB or something at that stage I wouldn't reccomend ever going in there on higher difficulty levels.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Salivanth

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 24, 2013, 08:05 »

Wait, you mean you're NOT supposed to carry a shit-ton of medipacks around, only to use them when you wind up in a situation where you're pretty much postponing your inevitable doom anyway? (Damn Spider's Nest)

So, two questions:

First, in a burst build, what's preferrable? SoB - SoB - TH - TH - SoB, or SoB - SoB - TH - SoB - TH?

My calculations say that for an unmodded chaingun, SoB 2 + TH 2 will give an average of 5.5*6 = 33 DPS, whereas SoB 3 + TH 1 gives an average of 6.5*5 = 32.5 DPS. Considering armor and the fact that TH 2 causes you to use more ammo, I'm guessing the extra .5 DPS is negligible.

Secondly, what are some good builds for a total noob? (I.e, ITYTD-level player, 4 Bronze Badges, never won the game.) I've narrowed it down to non-Technician builds that are Pistol, Burst, or Shotgun based, but that still leaves SIX potential master traits to go for and I always have trouble picking one during a game. I think I like Burst...I got to Deimos 6 with a burst build today, best run so far. (Bloody Spider's Nest...)

Oh fuck! I had a homing phase device in my inventory the whole time! SHI-
Possibly the worst player on the forum.

11/2/0/0/0/0
Cacodemon Sergeant

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #904 on: October 24, 2013, 12:13 »

First, in a burst build, what's preferrable? SoB - SoB - TH - TH - SoB, or SoB - SoB - TH - SoB - TH?

Depends on what you're aiming for I guess. If you're going for a Master skill, chances are the 3rd level of SOB will only come after that. Depending on how many levels of TH the Master requires... etc.

Secondly, what are some good builds for a total noob?

Anything that gives you INT 2. It allows you to see enemies before they see you, thus giving you time to think about how to approach them while you're still at an advantage. As a Scout, you can even start with INT without needing EE, and if you are going that way, might as well go for Cateye (INT-INT-SOB-SOB-TH-MCe), which extends your vision even further.
I've found this the most useful (type of) build to get to know the game.

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: October 24, 2013, 12:25 »

Either that, or go for Int2 and then for Shottyhead, the knockback from shotguns combined with cornershooting (yeah, learn how to cornershoot, if you haven't already :) will help you great deal in avoiding getting hit in general.
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22 »

Tower Shield is an assembly, so graphically it'd just look like a red armor. Haven't found the Onyx pack to check though, but from when I dropped a few assemblies, they don't look any different in graphics mode.
You seem to have misinterpreted the questions I asked. I was asking about the concept of the Tower Shield, what it is supposed to represent, not the ingame graphic.

I was also asking about what color the exotic armors are in graphics mode, not the assembled ones. I know that the Shielded Armor is a light blue color, but I have no idea as to the rest, and the wiki only contains information on the ASCII representations of the armors.

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: October 26, 2013, 15:03 »

Generally, exotics are purple and uniques are green
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: October 26, 2013, 15:08 »

Generally, exotics are purple and uniques are green

He means the actual graphic. In g-mode, the ASCII colours are reflected in the outline - the actual armours have various colours.

@Yholl:
in this thread tinyrodent made a sandbox wad that automatically spawns all the items in the game, so you can open it in the custom games thing and look at things to your heart's content - it's in post #7

disclaimer: it might not actually work in the latest versions because the last update was for a 0.9.9.6 beta but i hope it does
Use power for power.

Salivanth

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: October 27, 2013, 02:30 »

What do I put in config.lua to make a keybinding into one of my numpad numbers? E.g, NumPad 7. I want to be able to move using the numpad, I tried just "1", "2", etc. but now that works for the numbers above the QWERTY row on my keyboard, not the numpad.

11/2/0/0/0/0
Cacodemon Sergeant

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #910 on: October 27, 2013, 02:43 »

Have you tried just switching off NumLock in game?

Salivanth

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: October 27, 2013, 07:52 »

/facedesk

Thank you. That solved the problem.

11/2/0/0/0/0
Cacodemon Sergeant

Salivanth

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03 »

Thank you guys, for answering my questions. With your help and the Beginner's Guide to DoomRL, I was able to get my first win. Only ITYTD, but hey, gotta start somewhere :)

I used a fast INT 2 build as well, so thanks very much LuckyDee for suggesting that. INT 2 is insanely good.

11/2/0/0/0/0
Cacodemon Sergeant

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #913 on: November 01, 2013, 12:10 »

* LuckyDee coughs heavily... It sounds like "mortem, mortem"...

Salivanth

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 01, 2013, 22:05 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To summarise:

Using the first few minutes of a Let's Play video I watched, I learnt the art of shooting things with a shotgun before they got in range. Due to my ineptness at the art of switching between burst and shotguns, I ended up losing quite a bit more health than usual. Fortunately, this is ITYTD; I always end up with a surplus of medpacks anyway, so as long as I didn't die, it almost didn't matter how much health I lost.

Once I got the hang of it and got up to Cateye, things progressed better. I used a gatling gun and a tactical shotgun as my mid-game armaments. I cleared all the special levels up to the City of Skulls, but then decided to ignore all other special levels. (Spider's Lair, as I've found out, is an absolute nightmare. Even with a special NINETY FIVE PERCENT PLASMA RESISTANCE armor, I had to use a homing phase device to GTFO of the centre of that place. That was a different game, not this one.)

The Cyberdemon was quite difficult until I found out that rockets were blunted by my energy shield. I even found a Megasphere at some point to repair it. At this point I was using a high power plasma rifle near exclusively, and running very low on 10mm and shotgun ammo. Eventually, I ran out of that entirely, picked up all the medpacks I could for the final showdown, and equipped my energy shield to do or die.

The final battle was very anti-climactic, thanks to my 80% plasma resistance. The Mastermind went down in two clips, and that was that.

I know this is just the start of a very long road though. My next step is to get my first Silver badge in order to advance in rank. I'm thinking I'll pick a Technician, go Shotguns, and just build the first advanced assembly I manage to scrounge up the mods for. Then I can start doing the challenge runs on HNTR to get more Bronzes/Silvers, maybe trying some regular HNTR first to get used to the new mechanics.

I didn't use tactics once. This is because I am a bad player and forgot all about them. The 100% kills was planned from the start; I read somewhere that you're ready for challenge runs when you can 100% ITYTD.

Thanks again LuckyDee :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 22:11 by Salivanth »

11/2/0/0/0/0
Cacodemon Sergeant
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 79