Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444367 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #945 on: December 16, 2013, 05:17 »

Drat. Thanks.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 16, 2013, 07:09 »

Speaking of which - is intuition supposed to deactivate while berserked (tiles mode), or is it just the awful contrast of purple-red-black that makes me unable to see it?
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #947 on: December 16, 2013, 08:35 »

Speaking of which - is intuition supposed to deactivate while berserked (tiles mode), or is it just the awful contrast of purple-red-black that makes me unable to see it?

The latter, which is why I was trying to change the color to white.

Same problem with the envirosuit, IIRC.
See this bug report as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:44 by LuckyDee »

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 18, 2013, 14:49 »

Playing Ao100 on M (HNTR). At level 22 or so. I got too stressed and had to take a break.

So I took a few levels of SoaG, then the game decided to give me a bunch of shotguns and T/B modpacks.
I have EE1, Reloader2 now too. I forget everything I had since im not at home.
I have a Nano pack, Wizkid 2, no Power or Agility.
Wearing Maleck's armor [3] and some fast boots as well as Environmental plasteel.
is Nanosharpnel Double shotgun really good?

My original goal was for sharpshooter, but that seems silly now. I can still qualify for the technician shotgun special, sharpshooter, OR scavenger.
Tips?

Maybe just EE2 Int1/2?
Maybe Shotgunner? Maybe Fin/Juggler?

Archviles and mancubi are hard now.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 18, 2013, 16:18 »

Playing Ao100 on M (HNTR). At level 22 or so. I got too stressed and had to take a break.
So I took a few levels of SoaG, then the game decided to give me a bunch of shotguns and T/B modpacks.
I have EE1, Reloader2 now too. I forget everything I had since im not at home.
I have a Nano pack, Wizkid 2, no Power or Agility.
Wearing Maleck's armor [3] and some fast boots as well as Environmental plasteel.
is Nanosharpnel Double shotgun really good?
My original goal was for sharpshooter, but that seems silly now. I can still qualify for the technician shotgun special, sharpshooter, OR scavenger.
Tips?
Maybe just EE2 Int1/2?
Maybe Shotgunner? Maybe Fin/Juggler?
Archviles and mancubi are hard now.

Items:
Ooh, use the nano on gravity boots or nanomachic!
You don't need the nano armours since you have malek's, meaning what you do with the nano pack is all about whether you think you'll find the boots to go with Malek's, and how much of a concern ammo/reloading will be.
Personally, I'd use it on a good pistol for a nanomachic and pump up 5 levels of SoaG, but then I'm a big fan of pistols and nanomachic assemblies. Gravity boots are probably more powerful, but have the potential for dissapointment if you find the matching boots for malek's armour.

Shotguns are great, but don't scale particularly well compared to pistols or melee, especially when you can't take army of the dead. In Ao100 scaling is important. I'd see your shotgun use as a 'phase'. Those mancubi and archviles will only get more common as you go on! Also, Nano shrapnell is really dissapointing on anything other than a super shotgun, in my experience. :(

Traits...
Scavenger is alright in Ao100. Sharpshooter becomes REALLY strong when you hit Character level 13 (0.1s per pistol shot with SoaG5). The pistol damage more than doubles at level 12 (SoaG4), and more than doubles again at level 13 (SoaG5). It's possible to kill a cyberdemon with a SoaGx5 pistol without it getting a single turn.
I personally don't like Int enough to waste the traits on it. EE is super nice, but spending like 4 traits for EE and intx2 is nowhere near as good as spending 3 on berserker and 1 on EE, even if you're not using melee!
Juggler is awesome, provided you can use your inventory for your gun collection. That means ammo concerns need to be dealt with. Juggler works best, in my experience, with brute and whizkid.
Also, consider the possibility of taking no master traits. Master traits aren't particularly strong in the current version. There are only 3-4 master traits that are more powerful than masterless builds, and Ao100 lends itself well to a more diverse playstyle (sharpshooter is, admittedly, one of the strong ones).

Archviles and mancubi
Archviles and mancubi hardly hurt you if you get the berserker trait, but if you've got malek's armour, you might just find the boots to go with it, which will hugely increase your fire resistance and sort out the problem. Fireproof red armour (P modded since you already have WK2) helps a lot, and at a pinch, an environment suit bumps your protection up quite a bit. Seriously, with WK2 I'd keep a P-modded fireproof red assembly around to switch to when you have to take fire damage, especially since malek's let's you feed your fireproof armour all the shards! That should keep you safe. :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 18:57 by Sylph »
Badges:

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 18, 2013, 16:47 »

No A or P mods really hurt my modding capabilities tho. I used the one P I got on enviro boots in case I need to run through some lava/acid.

But thanks! I didnt even think about Brute/Berzerker. That would certainly help against arachnotron beatdowns. I havent found a Chainsaw and I've ditched my combat knife ages ago.
I'm using boots with like +30% movespeed or something already, so I dont want to make gravity boots.

Looks like I'll be saving it until I find a good pistol. Using Nanomach on a standard pistol seems like a waste.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 18, 2013, 16:50 »

Shotguns are great, but don't scale particularly well compared to pistols or melee, especially when you can't take AotD.
It's MAD, not AotD.

* thelaptop grumbles about random abbreviation generations
I computed, therefore I was.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 18, 2013, 19:03 »

No A or P mods really hurt my modding capabilities tho. I used the one P I got on enviro boots in case I need to run through some lava/acid.
Never mind, thay'll come!

Berserker isn't so good for arachnotrons (unless you are using a primarily melee build), it's good against viles and mancubi specifically because their attacks do enough damage to instantly trigger berserker (for the 60% damage resistance), which kicks in *before* you take the damage.

The extent to which A-modded gravity boots out-class tactical boots is probably worth a nano pack (I personally find nanomachic more fun though). If you've got A-modded phaseshift boots, then I'm not so sure it's worth upgrading.
Also, consider a nanomachic rocket launcher if you want power NOW (rather than when you get to SoaG5). For a pistol, I tend to prefer putting demolition ammo on combat pistols (only on N! difficuly), and really, a standard pistol with nanomachic and SoaG5 will do more damage than you really need to. 3-9 damage isn't *that* much better than 2-8 - not worth waiting for an exotic to drop, anyway. You're almost as likely to find a second nano pack as you are to find a combat pistol...

Oh, and sorry thelaptop. Fixed. MAD is a confusing acronym though for me though. :/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 19:05 by Sylph »
Badges:

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 18, 2013, 19:14 »

MAD = Master trait: Army of the Dead.

While we're at it, Son of a Gun is SoG, not SoaG.  For the most part, the officially sanctioned abbreviations for the traits and Angel challenges come from the in-game text itself, with the only exception of Ao100 (is A100 in-game).

Not trying to be an asshole, but consistent terminology helps searching as well.
I computed, therefore I was.

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 02, 2014, 13:24 »

So I was building toward a rapid fire setup, took a few levels of SoB, but was still using a shotgun for a while for it's versatility. I noticed that my shotty seemed to be one-shotting formers at the edge of my view range pretty consistently, and getting more knockback at long range, too (more than expected). Anybody know how SoB effects a shotgun's damage reduction over distance? I'm not sure how the numbers work out, but it felt like it had a much longer effective range.
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #955 on: January 02, 2014, 14:41 »

The reduction stays the same, but the base damage is increased:

A normal shotty does 8*2 = 16 damage (point blank) on average, so let's assume SOB2 and call it 18. With a 7% reduction per tile, a monster on the edge of your (8-tile) vision, takes 18*0.93^8 = 10 damage. A former human has 10 HP, and no armor. Seems to add up nicely to me :)

Although someone is probably going to tell me I did the math wrong, as usual ><

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 02, 2014, 19:24 »

Seems good. Leaves me to wonder whether getting a few ranks in SoB on a shotty build is really worth it, though, since a shambler would be taking 4 average damage per shot at max range with SoB 2, vs. 3 without SoB at all. That means you'd still need to get close to overcome armor, and then the damage adding isn't really so important. Hmm...

The wiki says shotguns need 7 damage to cause knockback. Do you know if that's before or after armor?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 19:28 by Thiebs »
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #957 on: January 02, 2014, 23:18 »

SOB is not a shotgun trait, which becomes especially clear if you look at the impact of it on your dps. Knockback is calculated before armor is applied, I believe.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 03, 2014, 13:59 »

Knockback is calculated before armour, yeah. I didn't realise that shotguns only needed 7 damage to knock back though - thanks for the education!

Are you sure, though, that SoG SoB damage suffers from shotgun dropoff? I find SoG SoB a brilliant trait for shotgun characters, and it might well be more to do with the improved knockback than the damage buff, but I swear I see much more damage when I build SoG SoB!

(Edited - thanks for the correction x)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 18:46 by Sylph »
Badges:

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #959 on: January 03, 2014, 14:19 »

I'm pretty sure SOG has nothing to do with the dropoff, yeah :P

The SOB thing's more of an educated guess, but since no one has called my bluff as of yet, I'm banking on being right for a change (:
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 79