Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444220 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #1065 on: September 19, 2017, 02:46 »

It's also worth noting that the fact that the initial blast uses less ammo than normal can sometimes be used to save ammo, especially in an AoMC game where you often need less ammo to kill your enemies.  Like you can fire just the initial few shots and then cancel the later stages of chainfiring.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 19, 2017, 05:32 »

As a player who has probably a better appreciation for rapidfire weapons then average, even I have only ever used chainfiring mode with Master Ammochain - and even then mostly only on deep Ao666 floors where I can spawn into a horde of nasty stuff all on my screen at once.

Other then that, it has no use and no synergies of which I am aware - Cateye and Entrenchment both look in theory like they would benefit from it, Cateye because you can see more to chainfire at safely, and Entrenchment because it specifically benefits from being in chainfire mode, but in practice, anything other then a minigun will need to be re-loaded long before you can do much(note that with Entrenchment, stopping to re-load leaves you exposed to all enemies at the exact moment your bonus resistances vanish without a trace - IMO, Entrenchment would only be viable if it maintained its resistances during reloading a rapidfire weapon as well as well chainfiring it, and then only if it also speeds up reloading and stops/reduces knockback[whereas Cateye is very useful regardless of your weapon choice]). Even with a minigun, it's so ammo-consumptive that it makes very little sense to use - in almost all cases, normal bursts would be more effective. If they're not, you might want to re-think the build you're using for rapidfire weapons.

Ammochain, of course, solves both of these problems, because every burst costs only one round, whether you're concerned with your magazine or with your backpack.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:37 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #1067 on: September 19, 2017, 06:28 »

Cheers gents, this is proving useful already - 'specially Tormuse's bit. I assume discontinuing chainfire boils down to performing any action other than alt-fire?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 19, 2017, 06:32 »

I assume discontinuing chainfire boils down to performing any action other than alt-fire?
Not exactly. Once you start chainfiring, you are prompted with a target selection immediately after each turn (no need to press alt-fire again). If you cancel the targetting, chainfire ends.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 19, 2017, 07:39 »

I assume discontinuing chainfire boils down to performing any action other than alt-fire?

Press the escape key.  That cancels it.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2017, 04:47 »

It annoys me that nightmare enemies are completely silent, because it allows them to sneak up on you.  I wanna change their sounds, as well as those of the elite former humans and agony elemental, into sounds from PSX Doom/Doom 64 so I gotta ask: What are their internal names as printed in the .lua files?

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2017, 05:44 »

It annoys me that nightmare enemies are completely silent, because it allows them to sneak up on you.  I wanna change their sounds, as well as those of the elite former humans and agony elemental, into sounds from PSX Doom/Doom 64 so I gotta ask: What are their internal names as printed in the .lua files?
In the first place, the no-sound of nightmare enemies is a part of why they are considered nightmare. Assigning sounds to these enemies would significantly decrease their deadliness, so if you assign sounds to them and later post your victory mortems here, it would be only fair to admit this fact in those victory posts.

The enemies' internal names are not mentioned in the .lua files, but they are mentioned in the monster definitions in the source code. They are as follows:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that I didn't actually try to assign sounds to them - they may have sounds blocked deeper in the code, overriding whatever sounds you may want to assign to them. You'll have to test this yourself.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2017, 06:36 »

I seem to recall seeing a DRL Let's Play video a while back in which the Lava Elemental and Shambler made roaming and pain sounds.  I don't know if that included Nightmare creatures, but I'm guessing it's possible.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41 »

Now that I think of it, there is a pretty quick way to test the sounds - just assign custom sounds to a nightmare demon, start a N! AoOC game and dive for the Unholy Cathedral. Nightmare demons are guaranteed there.

Too bad I only have a fresh DRL installation (no achievements whatsoever, no challenges unlocked), so I cannot try this myself ...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:50 by ZicherCZ »

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2017, 08:26 »

i think unholy cathedral on N! is just regular demons?
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42 »

i think unholy cathedral on N! is just regular demons?
Eh, damn me - you're correct.

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 25, 2017, 18:19 »

Is playing on N! the only way to get the Experience Cross in Ao100?  I've read some U Ao100 mortems and they all seem to always fall short by one level even with 100% kills.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 25, 2017, 20:47 »

Is playing on N! the only way to get the Experience Cross in Ao100?  I've read some U Ao100 mortems and they all seem to always fall short by one level even with 100% kills.

Yeah, in Ao100, you can only reach level 25 in Nightmare! difficulty.  In ArchAo666, however, it's easy to reach level 25 at any difficulty.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: October 01, 2017, 22:23 »

What does the Apostle actually look like, as in what color would he be if you could somehow see it without the berserk effect's red filter?

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: October 02, 2017, 05:42 »

If memory serves he looks like a slightly modified vile.  As for his color,  you could probably find it in the source, but he might as well be that exact shade of red since there are no conditions under which you could ever see him in game without being berserk.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 79