Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 21:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 442488 times)

bolt_thundara

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #1110 on: March 10, 2018, 17:36 »

Is it worth trying to build a Demolition Ammo assembly on a MSs run? Even if I was building it from a combat pistol I'm not sure if that's better than the 3P2B White Death

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04 »

Is it worth trying to build a Demolition Ammo assembly on a MSs run? Even if I was building it from a combat pistol I'm not sure if that's better than the 3P2B White Death
If you have the required mods and WK2 (and preferably an extra P-mod to slap on after building the assembly), then definitely go for it.

You would probably not use it as a primary damage weapon (White Death is a lot better in that aspect), but it works well as a handy corpse-disposal and wall-breaking tool. It consumes 10mm ammo, so you can safely ditch that missile launcher and rockets to free some inventory slots. It is a pistol, and fires with your pistol speed - useful at times when you need to dig through a wall quickly. Last but not least, with SoG5 you have a guaranteed two-tile knockback, as opposed to White Death's single tile - useful when you are in an open space and need to knock enemies out of LOS swiftly.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 18, 2018, 03:27 »

How to read text screenshots made by DoomRL? They turn to be a real mess of stuff when opened, even if I choose an ISO-8859-1 charset in Notepad++ which is the closest to cp437 I can have.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 19, 2018, 13:52 »

How to read text screenshots made by DoomRL? They turn to be a real mess of stuff when opened, even if I choose an ISO-8859-1 charset in Notepad++ which is the closest to cp437 I can have.

Try opening the config.lua file and toggling the "AllowHighAscii" line.  (I think it's set to "true" by default)  I had the same issue and I found that setting it to "false" fixed it.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Moray

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 20, 2018, 19:13 »

Is there a way to change the settings on the wait command so that instead of one depress acting as one "wait" (in other words, a single second) it will run indefinitely until something occurs like a former appearing or the like? If so, it'll make my ultra-campy N! runs a lot smoother.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 20, 2018, 21:29 »

Is there a way to change the settings on the wait command so that instead of one depress acting as one "wait" (in other words, a single second) it will run indefinitely until something occurs like a former appearing or the like? If so, it'll make my ultra-campy N! runs a lot smoother.

In fact, there is!  :)  In the config.lua file, there's a line that says "MaxWait."  Just change that number to a ridiculously high number, and then in the game, use the "run" button ("," by default) followed by the "wait" button and Doomguy will wait that many times.  You might also want to change the "RunDelay" line.  (It puts a delay in between each wait action)  Personally, I have mine set to "1" in case I want to interrupt the waiting, but some more bold people set it to "0" so the time passes instantly.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

scotherns

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 21, 2018, 02:44 »

If you set max wait high, be SUPER careful on levels with armed nukes, so you dont accidentally wait yourself to death. I failed a very promising Nightmare YAAM A100 that way.
[26|26|22|15|7|0]
Arch-Vile Marshal

32/43 Medals

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 21, 2018, 13:31 »

What's so good in that cerberus armor? It might be nice on top of zerk, but it's destructible and judging by Wiki it doesn't self-repair anyhow, so it just lasts one huge mess and you're down 5 packs and a piece of armor. You can instead run with a simple(r) nanofiber (BP) red and try saving up for either a powered, AOP or cybernano, depending on whether it's 25, 100 or 666 levels game, and with 666 you'd better find that fire immunity set instead anyway...

(In a middle of UV Ao100, got too many packs on the floor to consider building this. MCe with an AOP already, so more a curiosity rather than a necessity)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 24, 2018, 04:50 »

What's so good in that cerberus armor?
The answer is quite easy - value for mods. In a standard game, where the majority of Hell enemies are fire-based (revenants, mancubi and archviles), you're quite likely to find the requested mods well before. Cerberus armor then gives 70% fire and acid resistance and 50% plasma resistance (and 2 protection on top of that, with a P-mod afterslap), which makes for quite a lot of defense at a relatively cheap price. Plus, armor shards and reserve red armors are quite plentiful in Hell.

The other armors you mentioned - nanofiber is outright weak in terms of defense (it halves the original protection and resists, traded off by being indestructible). Powered armor, AOP and cybernano then all require either a nano mod or an onyx mod, which are far too rare to find in a standard game (outside of Armory/Deimos Lab) to reliably count upon. The Inquisitor Set is also far too rare in a standard game. Of course, Ao100/666 are a completely different matter, you will sooner or later find everything there. But even in these games, cerberus (or a fireproof red, which is even cheaper) is a go-to armor before you can find anything better.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 24, 2018, 13:59 »

I think it's also worth noting that the fact that Cerberus armour blocks percentages is pretty significant!  For example, the Cyberdemon can do as much as 36 damage per rocket.  If you're wearing, let's say Gothic armour, which provides 6 protection, you will still take 30 damage, but if you're wearing Cerberus armour, you'll only take 11 damage.  That's a pretty big difference!
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 24, 2018, 21:39 »

Thanks people... probably building a cerberus armor has a use if your build gives protection otherwise - MMB, most likely. MEn is kinda meh for me. Am I right that you don't actually care what armor you use to build a cerberus, except for set bonuses (say phaseshift would still give lava immunity with boots on)? Also, P or A on top of it? (Or B, maybe?)

Another question - trying to play AoD, discovered that you don't see the map even if you get a computer map. Owww. Any better start with this than Int-Int? And what locations to carefully avoid? (Learned the hard way I should have avoided Deimos Lab, as the only reasonable build with AoD is shotgun)

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 31, 2018, 11:53 »

Finally tried a lil of N! Geez, that is one whole different world, with quite different emphasis. Even with "easy mode" of AoMC and MCe N! continuously brings me my head in a pocket. I can't even... Probably I should use demons with AoMC on Hell Arena to cover up and bury them caco corpses... I always get someone of them rez just at the wrong time... and maybe get less shells and more bullets... how do you people get N! arena done? I managed to "complete" it once, getting rewards, but was waaay away from Pwnage Badge, which seems to actually be in range for my skills. How do you do corpse blowing-up, if actually you do?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 01, 2018, 02:07 »

Yeah, Hell's Arena at N! difficulty is super tough, mainly because each time you progress to the next round, you still have to worry about the guys from previous rounds reviving.  It makes eliminating the Cacodemon corpses top priority, usually by stacking Demon corpses on top of them, or perhaps, occasionally by standing over a corpse and letting another Cacodemon destroy it if you have the med packs to spare.

Still, looking over my Youtube channel, I see that I have quite a few videos of conquering N! Hell's Arena.  (More than I thought, actually!)  :o

There are *four* videos of me doing it with pistols only!  1, 2, 3, and 4.  (The last one is in ArchAngel of Light Travel)

One of me doing it with shotguns only...

And one of me doing it in Angel of Masochism.

I make plenty of mistakes in those videos, so I can't say I'm the best at it, but I think I do pretty well.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 01, 2018, 02:21 »

Gonna visit some of them when I'll be back at unlimited Internet :)

In fact, I'm now aiming to do "easy N!" with AoMC, so my actual target is to do Hell Arena Pwnage badge - they say taste comes while eating, hum. If at all possible, maaybe I will be then trying wielding the Dragonslayer, although MCe route looks more easily reached. Also, what disadvantages N! puts to the player, is it 10% reduced speed (and is it 0.99 or 1.01?) or 10% extra speed for enemies (or is it 50% as I've read elsewhere)?

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 01, 2018, 03:23 »

if you have a dead cacodemon and dead demon in sight, stand on top of the cacodemon and run-wait until the demon respawns (or until another cacodemon comes into view and you have to run away to hide behind something). on max carnage you can easily use the chaingun to lure the demon over the cacodemon corpse when it respawns - in regular its a lot more time consuming because the shotgun is the primary weapon and you have to account for knockback. if you only have 1-2 corpses on screen in an inconvenient location, try to get them to respawn and move to a more defendable position. obviously the last wave give priority to getting the baron corpses destroyed, if you're doing max carnage those fireballs hurt really bad

damageless is really tough, max carnage or no

i dont think the enemies in N! have a speed boost, but might fire more frequently
[26/26/24/20/7/2]
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 79