Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 79

Author Topic: Quick questions thread!  (Read 444221 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions thread!
« Reply #1125 on: September 01, 2018, 15:31 »

i dont think the enemies in N! have a speed boost, but might fire more frequently

According to the wiki, it's both.  (Or rather the player is slowed down, so the enemies seem faster in comparison)

In fact, I'm now aiming to do "easy N!" with AoMC, so my actual target is to do Hell Arena Pwnage badge...

I just realized that I forgot to include the video where I did just that!  :)

Basically, I got Intuition 2 first and then Hellrunner to help me keep ahead of Demons to maneuver them into corpse-stacking positions.  I also stocked up on as much ammo as I could carry, which is important, because this strategy calls for a lot of shooting into the shadows at things you can't see and even with AoMC, that means using a lot of ammo.  (EDIT:  Also, needless to say, you need to be *very* careful with each and every step that you don't step into view of any unknown enemies, because if it's a Cacodemon or Baron, they'll ruin your day)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 15:40 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 03, 2018, 09:40 »

According to the wiki, it's both.  (Or rather the player is slowed down, so the enemies seem faster in comparison)

I just realized that I forgot to include the video where I did just that!  :)

Basically, I got Intuition 2 first and then Hellrunner to help me keep ahead of Demons to maneuver them into corpse-stacking positions.  I also stocked up on as much ammo as I could carry, which is important, because this strategy calls for a lot of shooting into the shadows at things you can't see and even with AoMC, that means using a lot of ammo.  (EDIT:  Also, needless to say, you need to be *very* careful with each and every step that you don't step into view of any unknown enemies, because if it's a Cacodemon or Baron, they'll ruin your day)
Wow, I seem to be doing about right in my runs. I sometimes do win the arena, not yet pwn tho, well it will eventually happen I believe. Thanks :)

Also in that vid the player's speed w/o Hellrunner is still listed as 0.91s, as it is in UV and below for a scout, but enemies are clearly moving a lil faster.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 05, 2018, 07:41 »

After not getting anywhere close to winning in N! AoMC, I have decided to try something "easier" - UV AoSh. Dam, they always get me by CC, either barons gang up or Arena Master fries me. How do you people get Unchained Court done with AoSh? If I skip CC, things go decently well until Hell's Armory, where the shambler fries me as well, with double or tac, no matter.

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 05, 2018, 12:58 »

i wouldn't attempt unchained court it unless i had gotten a combat shotgun (or better) and a box of shells. even then it would be a challenge

hell's armory is doable but deimos lab is incredibly tough on AoSh unless you get lucky with something like a super shotgun. if you're doing scout build you should have intuition and hellrunner 2 by that point which will greatly help when you need to run away behind a wall when one teleports next to you and you can't blow it back with knockback in time to duck behind a corner
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 05, 2018, 19:58 »

It's probably worth mentioning that in my AoSh game, I cleared CC+ at Nightmare!  :)  (I had a Combat Shotgun and shellbox, which were obviously a huge help)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 05, 2018, 23:58 »

Wow, need to check that game for tips. I normally still have a shell box from wiping Hell Arena, as with AoSh an Int2 arena is sort of a cakewalk unless you get swarmed in an instant at the start of the next wave. But a combat shotgun is not a frequent drop on Phobos lv5, and even if I do get that AND a P-mod to augment it at once, I seem to get cornered by barons pretty often. I have managed to get some of them with relative safety, but then that moment happens when a baron enters left doors with you engaged in damaging one (or two!) other barons, you have to flee as in cramped quarters that baron has an advantage, and you normally can't push it back out of the doors and maybe into the lava... OW, OW, AAAAAHHHHHH! And since there's no cover outside, you're pretty much screwed. Then yet again, the Vile. I couldn't down it last time on UV with zerk on at first and a double shotty plus Shottyman AND HR2 (no combat shotgun for me that time), got it to mortally wounded before it fried me.

I start to clear Deimos Lab and NOT releasing the shamblers, they are too dam tough and mobile to tackle, perhaps if I'd be a zerker then maaaybe I'd decode to communicate to them my need of packs (:D), but likely not on any other setting. The location where they appear is too small for ranged combat and too hot for melee, should they start teleporting (which I think they never do if engaged, still one needs to close the distance first). One Shambler is doable, esp if you can take some cover after it teleports. Just did a successful AoSh run tho, gonna post a mortem as it has something to boast on my skill level.

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46 »

I've been toying around with custom sounds in DoomRL.  I got Ironbeer's sound overhaul mod, then did a few sound replacements which was mostly changing some gun sounds to their PSX Doom 64 sounds as well as have JC make Icon Of Sin sounds (I mean he is the final evil).  I asked this last year regarding giving sounds to the completely silent nightmare monsters and was told that it would be considered cheating.  Regardless, I recently found another sound mod that actually gives them sounds (don't worry, I haven't used it yet and Ironbeer's mod still leaves the nightmares silent) so any opinions on that?

I also have to ask since I don't have the source code.  What are the internal names of the Arena Master, agony elemental, and Apostle for the purposes of giving them custom sounds?  Of course with the Arena Master and agony elemental, they're silent like the nightmares so it might be cheating again.  But I remember the Apostle just making normal arch-vile sounds, so surely I can change those without being called a cheater.

And finally, I have to mention a couple of sound oddities that might be bugs.  The revenant actually has his unique firing sounds, but he doesn't actually use them and just uses the rocket launcher default sounds.  Also, JC doesn't actually use his idle sound; but maybe that one's for the best because I set it to the Icon's backwards speech, and hearing that all the time would probably get old fast.

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 24, 2018, 05:16 »

Is there a way to turn off the Berserk red tint? I have 400+ floors to go on this run, and I'd like to be able to distinguish stuff... Been looking around in config.lua but I cant seem to find anything relevant there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:19 by Svankensen »

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 24, 2018, 05:38 »

I don't think it's possible at all.  For a hypothetical next version, I'd like to suggest the option for colored borders to indicate berserk/enviro/invul/etc. effects so the field can still be seen in normal colors.

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: December 24, 2018, 06:45 »

Damn, I don't think I'm up for 400+ levels of red, specially with a technician instead of a scout. I'll prolly retire this guy.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 24, 2018, 20:07 »

Well, there is a way to get rid of the red, but you might not like it.  Picking up the Dragonslayer makes you berserk for 10,000,000 actions.  I once got rid of the red by running out the timer.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

BBHood217

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 24, 2018, 20:24 »

That's how we learned the Apostle's true appearance... in text mode.  Graphics mode is still up in the air; maybe it's just a plain ol' yellow archvile like the regular kind, but dammit I wanna see for myself.

I guess while I'm here, I'm also gonna ask: You guys do all know that it's actually called a soulsphere, right?  Not a supercharge?

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 22, 2020, 14:08 »

I'm a total noob.  Is there a way to scroll the screen in tiles without using the mouse?  I tried using look mode but once I get outside the view screen it doesn't show me where I am.
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

iainuki

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 06, 2020, 19:38 »

Okay, I'm less of a total noob now though I still don't know if there's a way to scroll without using the mouse in graphics mode.

I  spent some time yesterday trying for the UAC Diamond (Nightmare speedrun).  I failed spectacularly, made it as far as the Cyberdemon but without enough medpacks to survive the fight.  For the people who've done this, how many attempts did it take?  Basically, how much luck do I need to succeed?

What are the least luck-based and tedious higher badges (Platinum, Diamond, and Angelic)?
[20|17|16|12|5|2]

23/43 Medals

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #1139 on: March 07, 2020, 08:34 »

Depending on how much you want to use spoilers for assemblies, medals and unique/exotic items, Technician, Heroic and Armor can be all tedium. Some of the medals will still depend on luck, though, as will the drop of mods and uniques/exotics. If you can confidently play UV, Centurial Platinum should be doable too.

Check out some of Sereg's mortems too; he's cheesed his way into a lot of badge by dualing with AoOC. It's tedium meets luck, from what I understand: you spend quite the number of tries getting killed horribly (starting on Hell 1 on a high difficulty), but once it takes off the xp is insane, leveling you up at breakneck speed.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 79