Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: request for advice  (Read 2577 times)

alver

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
request for advice
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:55 »

So...

...which one would you choose to use for an ammochain character in the following scenarios:
1#
a) assault rifle
b) gatling

2#
a) assault rifle
b) gatling
c) unmodified plasma

3# What would change if i'd tag an A or T or B mod to the plasma?

4# For ammochainer, should I modify plasma with AA, or can I allow myself one P/T mod within?

5# Any thoughts on high-power plasma for ammochain?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:00 by alver »

Kamikaze14

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: request for advice
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:01 »

AR until you have both ammochain and plasma.  As for mods on plasma, I go with 2 ranks in WK and go A2P3.

Forgot to mention high-power plasma does the same thing as 3 power mods, so if you want to sacrifice accuracy for ease of access, go for it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:03 by Kamikaze14 »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:09 »

Personally I'd go for assault rifle most of the time - I like plasma, very much even, but from what experience I had with assault rifle I found the inherent +6 accuracy and the base 0.8 speed (stacked with mandatory Fin x 2 for Whizkid) to more than make up for low bullet count and lack of plasma type damage. Gatling... gatling I'd say is out of the league here. Can't think of a reason to take it over plasma or assault rifle, really.

@4 - if you're going for Ammochain you're going to have at least one level of whizkid, meaning you can add three mods - thus you probably should go A2P (T mod is probably going to boost your damage less than P). Also you probably should consider second WK level to pimp the plasma further if you're using it.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:27 »

We can do this using numbers, if you'd prefer.

1&2#:Let's suppose you have SoBx2, Finx2, and THx1, which are the stats that will affect weapons when you have MAc.
Assault rifle: (2d5+2)x3=12-36=24 damage, (0.8*0.7)=0.56 fire time: 24/0.56=42.86 DPS
Gatling gun: (1d6+2)x7=21-56=38 damage, 0.7 fire time: 38/0.7=54.29 DPS
Plasma rifle: (1d7+2)x7=21-63=42 damage, 0.7 fire time: 42/0.7=60 DPS

On the other hand, assault rifle also has +6 accuracy (which gives you ~75% at LOS range) while the other two have +2 accuracy (which gives you ~40% at LOS range).

3#: For Ammochain, you'll want at least one A on a plasma rifle to increase accuracy to 50% LOS range. The other two are useful but not nearly as much as having some higher hit chances.

4#: AA is typical if you can afford the extra agility mod. A lot of people invest in the second point of WK so they can boost the plasma rifle even further though, to (for instance) A1P2T2 or A2T3/A2P3. If you think you'll find the mods for it, there's little reason not to.

5#: High power plasma is a bit of a waste as mentioned previously. You're better off going the old fashioned way, at least for now.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Azrael

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 14:07 »

High power plasma is known to burst walls, though (tested personally). Yeah, three power mods do the same, but finding three power mods is still (albeit, not REALLY much) harder, than getting P+B.
This can allow you to clear levels with NO risk at all (boring, though).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 14:08 by Azrael »

bleak

• Lance Corporal
  • Monster
    • View Profile
Pages: [1]