Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 12:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.2] UAC Star not avarded  (Read 2627 times)

MDM

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.2] UAC Star not avarded
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:47 »

Hello.

Why don't I get the UAC Star (bronze cluster) when I get the UAC Star (silver cluster)?
It should be included because when I do 50 kills without taking damage then the 25 kills for bronze are already reached.

The same is with the UAC Star (gold cluster). It should include silver and bronze. Shouldn't it?
Programmers don't die. They GOSUB WITHOUT RETURN!

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.2] UAC Star not avarded
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12 »

Unlike badges, only one medal of any given series (eg. UAC Stars or Compet-n Crosses) can be earned on a single run. AFAIK it's not a bug, just an odd design decision.

MDM

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58 »

This is neighter a solution nor is it satisfactory.
Programmers don't die. They GOSUB WITHOUT RETURN!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34 »

It is logic.

EDIT: Say you did a speed run with some people and you ended 2nd. You'll get a silver medal, but not automatically a bronze medal together with it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:36 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:04 »

It is logic.

EDIT: Say you did a speed run with some people and you ended 2nd. You'll get a silver medal, but not automatically a bronze medal together with it.

Whereas you would get the in-game achievements for finishing at all on this difficulty and any that are lower. Like Halo, I guess.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:18 »

Actually, there is no clear-cut line for which medals you should get in the same category.

On one hand, we have similar medals granted alongside each other:
- Explorer and Conqueror are achieved together if you complete all generated levels (example which is mine, but there are plenty of others)
- My Chessmaster Token/Cross medals were achieved together if you meet the requirement for the Cross (the difference is between UV clear and N! clear, example)
- Any medals that require no damage clear (such as Hell Arena Key) also grant the just-plain clear (such as Hell Champion Medal) along side it (example)

On the other hand, some of the medals are exclusive:
- UAC Bronze/Silver/Gold cluster (obv)
- Compet-n Silver/Gold/Platinum (just check a speedrun, but here's an example for Gold against an example for Silver)
- Minor/Major Icarus Cross (see Compet ones for Minor, and this example for Major)
- Untouchable Badge/Medal (example for Badge, example for Medal)

Frankly I would prefer if all medals were exclusive, because it's a lot easier to keep track of how many times you actually did something. (If I want to know all the non-no damage clears for HArena, for instance, I have to subtract off all my Keys. This would be doable if all medals were at least consistent for the entire set, but they're not.) The other way tends to bloat the amount of medals you've actually earned and it's kinda meh when you're counting them up. If there were "achievements" for getting so many medals it would make sense, but IMO we should get one medal per "category" and nothing more.

As for badges, since they're one-time deals in the first place, getting lesser badges is a convenient way to collect a lot at once (UV clear to get Bronze-Gold, for instance). Because there IS a reason to have so many badges (ranks, which unlock stuff for at least a while) this is a practical use of the method.

EDIT: FYI, this has been "discussed" briefly before. It's probably a good idea to bring it up again, however, since there a lot of new badges and the inconsistency is a little frustrating.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:23 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: [1]