Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reorder experience ranks  (Read 2502 times)

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
Reorder experience ranks
« on: March 07, 2011, 14:23 »

Not sure whether I should put this as "wishlist-rank bug" or "feature request", so I'll go with feature request for now.

Mancubus rank seems like it's at the wrong point in the progression. Mancubi are unquestionably nastier (and, importantly, deeper-spawning) than Hell Knights, and arguably nastier than Barons, so it seems odd to have to get past Mancubus rank to reach Hell Knight rank.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
Re: Reorder experience ranks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 14:39 »

Agreed. At my current rate I wouldn't be surprised if I jumped from Cacodemon to Hell Knight. I might have tacked on 'Baron of Hell', too, if it were likely I'd kill 400 more of them before I shot 9 mancubi to almost dead and then tapped them with my finger or a bullet. (Granted, I have trouble with that with every build that's gotten me to Hell.)

Why no Revenant? Or Pain Elemental, or Lost Soul, or former sergeant captain commando? More importantly, why no rewards for demon ranks?

I would like to be able to be a Former Sergeant Sergeant, if only for a little while.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 15:24 »

Agreed. At my current rate I wouldn't be surprised if I jumped from Cacodemon to Hell Knight. I might have tacked on 'Baron of Hell', too, if it were likely I'd kill 400 more of them before I shot 9 mancubi to almost dead and then tapped them with my finger or a bullet. (Granted, I have trouble with that with every build that's gotten me to Hell.)
I think I resorted to ITYTD pistol games. (Bagging the melee quota came naturally from doing Strongman Bronze and Strongman Silver on separate runs :)

Why no Revenant? Or Pain Elemental, or Lost Soul, or former sergeant captain commando? More importantly, why no rewards for demon ranks?
The rank is the reward, I think. The skill ranks are used for unlocking challenge modes, so there's nothing for the experience ranks to reward you with.

I would like to be able to be a Former Sergeant Sergeant, if only for a little while.
The precise example you cite is why you can't :) Also, I'm not sure you can pick up enough bronze+silver badges in few enough runs to not skip straight past a "former sergeant" rank.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 16:10 »

There is room for these ranks to be reworked.

For instance, in the last 3 versions, I have jumped from Cacodemon to Hell Baron because by the time I kill 5 manubi with a pistol (or was it melee?), I had already fulfilled the requirements of Hell Knight. In fact, I don't think I've *ever* been the Hell Knight rank at all.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 17:14 »

If skill ranks unlock challenge modes, experience ranks could totally be used to unlock the fun, crazy (and badge-excluded) modes that DoomRL is lacking right now. Just saying.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 18:45 »

The precise example you cite is why you can't :)

whine

ITYTD pistol games

whiiine

The rest of this game is excellently stat-tracky-achievementy-unlocky. It puzzles me that there's two separate ranking systems and one of them is just for flavor. I like Nameless's idea.

Example of crazy fun mode: each demon rank unlocked opens a new option in a new menu:

"Play as a monster"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:46 by Ander Hammer »
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win
Pages: [1]