Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 01:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Making some lethal lessons into painful ones  (Read 3097 times)

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
Making some lethal lessons into painful ones
« on: March 07, 2011, 14:50 »

I'm sure most people have died at least once because there was a big wall right there when a mancubus shot at them. I honestly don't know why they shoot THREE clustered boomy shots when they shoot two in the source. The kill out of nowhere from 100% is very rogue-like and thus can be aggravating; as it stands I'm afraid to even engage Mancubi at all.

Does quicker movement speed cause less damage when moving on acid or lava? I'd think lighter feet would cause less contact, and I'd also think that if a marine isn't focusing on combat, he'd be incredibly motivated to get OFF whatever he's standing on and pick up his feet a little, especially if he's got protective boots buying him time.

Would a sophisicated weapon like a Revenant's Launcher (or a BFG10k?) come with a proximity warning if where you aim catches you in the radius? A meta-prompt that lets you change your mind about firing (or not) would be neat.

This isn't a cry to make the game easier, except maybe the Mancubi. Just some thoughts and suggestions. Any others?
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
Re: Making some lethal lessons into painful ones
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 15:29 »

I'm sure most people have died at least once because there was a big wall right there when a mancubus shot at them. I honestly don't know why they shoot THREE clustered boomy shots when they shoot two in the source.
In the source material, they shoot three pairs (left+centre, right+centre, left+right) of fireballs in quick succession, with the centreline of the fire pattern locked down for all three.

Does quicker movement speed cause less damage when moving on acid or lava?
Only if it's quick enough to cause the game engine to bug out. The running tactical setting, however, halves the damage you take from hurtfloors.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 17:33 »

As much as I often curse mancubi, they don't really kill you out of nowhere - you can literally hear them coming, one barrage rarely kills you unless you're frolicking nude in a garden of barrels, and if there's a big wall you can usually corner shoot / take another route / blow up the wall yourself. They haven't killed me any more than other endgame enemies, at least.

Proximity warnings for dangerous weapons sounds like a good idea, but would probably irritating in practice (imagine having to select [Y/n] every time you rocket jumped?). That said, the in-game descriptions for the weapons could be a little more helpful ...

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 18:39 »

(imagine having to select [Y/n] every time you rocket jumped?)

As it's the alt-fire and hard to mix up with regular fire, it wouldn't really be necessary for rocketjumping.

I stand reminded about Mancubus attack patterns, but that doesn't make me less unhappy about being killed from full health and pristine armor in a maze...

I did not know running affects hurtfloor damage. It still makes sense to me that less travel speed means less time in lava means less damage taken, though... unless the damage is from your foot hitting the floor?
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58 »

Acid/Lava: They also give off fumes. The damage is not just from direct contact - Acid eats at your lungs, and Lava fries your face. It only makes sense that the faster you get off of the tile, the faster you get away from being damaged.

And have you tried walking on Lava? Every step is hell wrapped in a sandpaper-and-hotsauce sandwich.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 06:56 »

frolicking nude in a garden of barrels
Best thing I've read all week.
Pages: [1]