Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Revolver  (Read 2230 times)

fidsah

• Greater Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Revolver
« on: March 08, 2011, 22:32 »

Just to add some variety for handgun challenges, we could add a new type of ammo and handgun, and perhaps change the existing handguns just a wee bit to make each interesting and unique.

For revolvers, we could use perhaps .357 mag or .44 mag, give them a 5 or 6 round capacity, higher damage, slower reload.

For semi-autos using 10mm, bump up the capacity to around 12 perhaps. Lower damage and faster reload than revolvers. Maybe a touch higher accuracy.

This type of change could be applied to existing uniques and whatnot such as Trigun, which is a revolver.

It'd make AoMr a little more interesting than grabbing just 10mm, and with the two types that could be balanced against each other, it might offer some interesting play experiences.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
Re: Revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10 »

The current pistol already feels like a revolver so I'd switch it to the .44 ammo, for a semi-auto I'd start with 2d3 with faster reloads and bump the ammo to 10-12. I'd also add a second type of former human that carried the other pistol (same appearance the standard)

I kinda like this idea but I'd need to see it in action.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19 »

WARNING: Mostly negative viewpoint ahead

I don't personally feel that it would liven up the game  - if you want to opt for power or speed, tweak your trait selections accordingly.

This idea is somewhat undoomish...not that we haven't strayed beyond that before, but usually you have to play a bit before you find undoomish elements in the game (uniques, bosses, etc). In this situation, the player could very well find a few pistol/ammo types on the very first level. And so far, we have not added any ammo types that aren't found in the doom series - meaning bullets, plasma, missiles, shells.

There is also a potential to open up micromanagement nightmare in our already stressed inventory space.

Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:17 »

The capacity of the pistol is actually fine for a semi-auto if you pretend it's like the M1911A1 (OK, that has a seven-shot magazine, but whatever).

(As an aside, I still think it was a terrible idea to specify the calibre of the bullets. The source material doesn't in any meaningful way, so it ends up feeling like a gratuitous Aliens reference.)
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.
Pages: [1]