Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Building a feature list for DiabloRL 0.5.0  (Read 45499 times)

kyosenmurasame

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Building a feature list for DiabloRL 0.5.0
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2008, 11:24 »

hey dudes! i think we're forgettin' something... Let's talk about ideas for the 0.5.
What about a "simple list" of commands, like DoomRL? I think this is a Roguelike game based on the original Diablo, not Diablo converted on Roguelike. Kornel's workin' is GREAT.
The possibility of continue the game in the way of the RL is possibly the prettiest, isn't it?
Hail to Mr. Kisielewicz, God of Programmers!

you

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2010, 11:12 »

Hi all, You making her very own version of DiabloRL and You want to ask You about some things.
1) How to indicate somebody's hp status, by RLG-like messages (unhurt, slightly wounded, etc) by drawing some kind of ASCII-lifebar, or anyhow else?
2) Ranged attacks. Can heroine, rounded with hordes of enemies shoot them off or she must go in melee? What is the range for an arrow?
P.S. Please, sorry You for her ugly english.

Tavana

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2010, 15:18 »

Hi all, You making her very own version of DiabloRL and You want to ask You about some things.
1) How to indicate somebody's hp status, by RLG-like messages (unhurt, slightly wounded, etc) by drawing some kind of ASCII-lifebar, or anyhow else?
2) Ranged attacks. Can heroine, rounded with hordes of enemies shoot them off or she must go in melee? What is the range for an arrow?
Glad to hear someone else thinks DiabloRL needs some love. ;)

#1 - think of it as a range from Unhurt to Dead. Slip in other indicators in the middle. I've seen people get away with just "Unhurt, wounded, near death, dead" before. The more you have, the easier it is for your players to tell, but that adds code.

#2 - It's commonly accepted that an archer CAN attack people at close range, BUT in doing so, can't defend against anyone surrounding them. In essence, people standing to the side get a free attack.

Also, you could just pick up Kornel's source code from FreePascal and attempt to work with it. Granted it would need a bit of updating, since it doesn't compile under the newest FreePascal release.

Second note: Kornel will at some point (this year?!?) be developing DiabloRL using C++.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

NullPointer

• Shadow Support
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Private FC
  • Handheld Roguelike FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 12:20 »

<My first post on Chaosforge!>

I recently discovered this site and have been playing DoomRL and DiabloRL ever since.  I just created my account here and donated.  Really, really excellent stuff - better than most commercial games that I pay for.

As a newb to these games, I'd request that you implement in-game help ('?') as your next feature.  I know it's not sexy but making the game more approachable and playable is a worthwhile endeavor IMO.  I couldn't figure out how to un-equip items in DiabloRL, for one example, or why I couldn't equip another (blue) item.

Less important asks:
 - Audio would be great
 - Opensource both DoomRL and DiabloRL (I *really* want these on a handheld device like NDS)

Thanks for your efforts Kornel!

Tavana

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 13:43 »

DoomRL has in game help already. Try it out!

DiabloRL help is in the works at the moment, but we're coding functionality for it first, so we can have something to describe in the help files. ;)

DiabloRL is open source. DoomRL MAY move to open source once DoomRL 2 gets going. There's also been talk that considering that modding will be allowed, it might not move to open source.

There's been talk of a NDS port of DoomRL as well. Some people have even put their money where their mouths are. Have a look around the forums, read some of the guides, and welcome to Chaosforge! =)
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 18:54 »

1. I think the ascii lifebar is a good idea, since it makes the game feel more like you're playing Diablo. Having a descriptor as well couldn't hurt.

2. Likewise, you should be able to still use ranged attacks at close range, the rogue's weakness compared to warrior should take care of that balance issue. Also, in Diablo I recall that you could shoot anywhere in your visual range. Maybe have the arrows fall to the ground after they go through one space beyond your vision.

Tilla

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]