Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 01:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.9.2] Why do my shotguns suck?  (Read 3657 times)

RogerN

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[0.9.9.2] Why do my shotguns suck?
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:49 »

I already have Army of Darkness, so armor shouldn't be a problem.  I'm wielding a double shotgun that's been modded with a Firestorm mod pack.  The description *says* that it should be doing (8d3)x5 damage.  By my calculations that's an average of 72 damage at point-blank range (1 tile).

...and yet I still consistently fail to kill Cacodemons (40 hp according to the wiki) with one shot, even at point-blank range.

Here's my math:
8d3 damage = 16 average
x5 multiplier = 80
x 0.9 range falloff at 1 tile = 72
Army of Darkness = no armor adjustment

Am I doing something wrong?  Why do my shotguns suck?

EDIT: Oh, my trusty combat shotgun seems to perform just fine.  It's really only the double shotgun that seems to suck more than its description would imply.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:51 by RogerN »

RogerN

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.9.2] Why do my shotguns suck?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24 »

I just had a thought.  Is it possible that knockback is the problem here?  I don't know what the normal order of events is, but if knockback is performed before enemies actually take damage from the shotgun blast then the damage could be significantly nerfed.  This gun routinely knocks enemies back 3-4 squares.  If the damage is calculated after the knockback then that's a reduction from 72 damage to 40, which would explain the results I'm seeing.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:31 »

The knockback is the case of some bugs at least in the previous version, where you were able to negate Cyberdemon's damage fully using Fireangel. But that was a known bug and it is strange that it isn't fixed already.

Another thing that might be the case of the problem is that knockback calculates after every shot out of your 5, and thus damage dropoff is different for every of your 5 shots. And as far as I know, firestorm modded DBS is a bug, so if you do this, "use it at your own risk".

And I don't think that the fact that you can't one-shoot caco's makes them be that bad. Shotguns are meant to be crowd-controllers, so if you do enough damage to nearly kill one caco, you'll deal the same damage to every caco in your shot radius, which is already big enough to out-perform most weapons in the same situation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:34 by ZZ »
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:56 »

I did some fiddling around with the Double Shotgun's multiplier, and I discovered something disturbing. It's limited by how many shots you have in the chamber. When I had a standard issue Double Shotgun hacked to have five shells instead of two, it was using three shells per shot. I would imagine that the multiplier is due to it being a multishot weapon.

To shorten: Firestorm Doubleshotgun does NOT work as intended due to how the multiplier works.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:04 »

Yep, that's pretty much the case - double shotguns x3 doesn't really work currently, leave alone firestorm mod (a separate question is should it even work on double shotty). I posted a bug report about it on trac quite some time ago but I believe it's stated for fixing as far as 0.9.9.5
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:41 »

Hold on a second... Army of Darkness?

Don't you mean Army of the Dead?

* thelaptop facepalms on being the technical jargon nazi...
I computed, therefore I was.

RogerN

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:01 »

Hold on a second... Army of Darkness?
Don't you mean Army of the Dead?

Ha!  You're right... I've been misreading that trait name since I started playing DoomRL.  I always thought it was a reference to Ash and his trusty boomstick in the Army of Darkness movie.

Cirrus

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 16:07 »

Army of Darkness, thats funny!

The best part is its not really untrue, considering all of the shotguns, chainsaws and unruly dead.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 22:21 »

So when you get right down to it, a double shotgun is really 8d3x2 whether you firestorm it or leave it unmodded? So a power or tech mod is the only real way of upping its DPS. With its high dropoff and single shot between reloads it kind of makes all the other shotguns look a lot better. It is better at point blank in the sense that its two single shotty blasts in one fire-time, but still pretty crappy really.

I guess that's just freed up an inventory slot for me. Might still be handy with juggler, but not a great weapon otherwise. And it makes the elephant gun look all the better (and maybe the tactical once the beta is released. I've really gotta donate next pay).
Pages: [1]