Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I really like this game  (Read 6824 times)

gabba

• Elder
  • Private
    • View Profile
I really like this game
« on: November 03, 2005, 09:30 »

Hi, I just tried Doom Roguelike. Adding the sound effects and music is a genius' idea, it really creates the perfect mood. It's the first Roguelike that I play that has sound, and it's very successful.

I find that the interface for aiming and shooting is well designed, except that maybe you could add a key to cycle targets, as an alternate to moving the "crosshair" with the arrow keys.

Also, instead of picking up 50 pistols and having them in the inventory, it would be nice if, once you have a weapon, you just pick up the ammo from weapons of the same kind, and automatically discard/destroy the weapon itself.

Finally, what about dual-weild? At least for pistols! It would allow you to fire twice, but with less precision. Maybe it could allow you to pick a target, fire, and then pick a second target and fire before the ennemies react.

Really high-level characters, or maybe one with a special trait, could be able to have heavier weapons in dual-weild with a pistol.

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
I really like this game
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 13:48 »

Quoting: gabba
except that maybe you could add a key to cycle targets, as an alternate to moving the "crosshair" with the arrow keys.

TAB :P

you just pick up the ammo from weapons of the same kind, and automatically discard/destroy the weapon itself.

Hold shift and press U when on a weapon with ammo to take its ammo, and not the weapon.

Finally, what about dual-weild?

I wouldn't have problem with dual pistol, but dual anything else, no, it wouldn't be doom anymore.

Happy to see you liked it :D

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
I really like this game
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 14:04 »

Hi, I just tried Doom Roguelike. Adding the sound effects and music is a genius' idea, it really creates the perfect mood. It's the first Roguelike that I play that has sound, and it's very successful.

Thank you :-). And welcome to the forum.

I find that the interface for aiming and shooting is well designed, except that maybe you could add a key to cycle targets, as an alternate to moving the "crosshair" with the arrow keys.

Try pressing TAB when aiming :-).

Also, instead of picking up 50 pistols and having them in the inventory, it would be nice if, once you have a weapon, you just pick up the ammo from weapons of the same kind, and automatically discard/destroy the weapon itself.

Try capital 'U' when standing over a weapon :-D.

Finally, what about dual-weild? At least for pistols! It would allow you to fire twice, but with less precision. Maybe it could allow you to pick a target, fire, and then pick a second target and fire before the ennemies react.

This would be problematic interface-wise. But in the next version there will be a "ready-weapon" slot. Maybe I'll add a dual-pistol trait...

Really high-level characters, or maybe one with a special trait, could be able to have heavier weapons in dual-weild with a pistol.

Nah this is TOO cinematic even for Doom :->
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
I really like this game
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 14:05 »

Quoting: jake250
Happy to see you liked it :D

Kheh, we replied in the same time with the same answers :-D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Corremn

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • http://members.dodo.com.au/~savre/DemiseRL/
I really like this game
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 05:35 »

Quoting: jake250
Finally, what about dual-weild? At least for pistols!

Duel pistols would be kind of cool.  They would not stack up to the chaingun so they would not affect the play that much except add a different play style.  

Duel weilding BFGs, Come to Pappa!!! Ok, Ok, unDoom(RL)-like but still cool!!

Anonymous

I really like this game
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 07:41 »

Apart from the capital 'U' that you've already been told, the fact that you CAN have multiples of one weapon adds a very deep strategic aspect to this game.

...I've probably given it away now.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
I really like this game
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 16:12 »

Quoting: Corremn
Duel pistols would be kind of cool. They would not stack up to the chaingun so they would not affect the play that much except add a different play style.

Yup I like it. And I found a way to implement it in the interface.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
I really like this game
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 21:37 »

Quoting: Anonymous
Apart from the capital 'U' that you've already been told, the fact that you CAN have multiples of one weapon adds a very deep strategic aspect to this game.

...I've probably given it away now.

Given WHAT away??

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
Yup I like it. And I found a way to implement it in the interface.

YESSS, ANOTHER fun feature!!! *cheers*
Howdy.

Krishh

• Private FC
    • View Profile
I really like this game
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 21:59 »

Quoting: jimmyj
Given WHAT away??

Read the forum.  A couple of recent posts taken together give a lot of hints about this. (enough that I guessed it, apparently, if I am thinking about what he was talking about) Although I don't think it's that much of a deep strategic aspect, as just a cool feature. They're both plentiful enough for this purpose anyway.

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
I really like this game
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 23:13 »

Meh, ill just play normally, instead of figuring out this secret ^_^
Howdy.
Pages: [1]