Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 04:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Corner shooting cursor memory.  (Read 3451 times)

Stormlock

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Corner shooting cursor memory.
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:20 »

I'd like the cursor memory to apply to shots out of your field of vision as well. Corner shooting is a big part of the game, and the extra 7 keystrokes to target all the way down the hallway gets annoying after the 500th time you do it in the same run. Anyone else agree?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Corner shooting cursor memory.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:30 »

Actually, forget about corner shooting.  I think a more general form the request ought to be that you maintain your last target tile, provided you did not move from where you are, that no new enemy has appeared within your field of view, and the last thing you were targetting was not a visible enemy.
I computed, therefore I was.

Stormlock

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:50 »

Thanks, that's a much better description of what I'd like. Corner shooting just came to mind because it's where it's the biggest issue for me generally.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 11:04 »

I supposed that targeting out of vision was restricted intentionally, because you can actually shoot faster when you see the target, and you need to aim carefully to make the bullet fly out of your vision. So now if you're corner-shooting, you need to face some troubles. It's like asking 'Spawn the combat shotgun on the level 2 and arena on level 3, because it's annoying to restart the game after it doesn't spawn'.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:48 »

I supposed that targeting out of vision was restricted intentionally, because you can actually shoot faster when you see the target, and you need to aim carefully to make the bullet fly out of your vision. So now if you're corner-shooting, you need to face some troubles.
With anything except shotguns (or explosives in favorable conditions) you do: a flat 50% miss chance before your to-hit roll is made.

It's like asking 'Spawn the combat shotgun on the level 2 and arena on level 3, because it's annoying to restart the game after it doesn't spawn'.
I'm increasingly inclined to say that either the combat shotty shouldn't ever spawn before 4, or it should always spawn on 2. (I also think the Arena's position should be nailed down, to be honest...)
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

Stormlock

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 13:18 »

It's more like asking for an option to start next to the entrance on the first level instead of the wrong side of the map so you don't waste a bunch of time for neglible mechanical effect.

Having to manually re-aim while shooting into the darkness doesn't make the game more difficult, just more tedious. It'd be like making a triple confirmation "Are you sure you want to fire at the Cyberdemon? N/Y" whenever you fire at him just to make it more difficult to show how scary he is.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 14:11 »

I see little reason not to allow for this, given the commands we have in fire mode:

- ESC cancels the command, and this could also reset the current placement of the firing tile
- TAB switches between visible enemies, so there's no issue in moving the firing tile to a something you can see

It'd make command mistakes far less frequent when it comes to constantly re-targeting outside of range.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 15:03 »

Huh?

I'm pretty sure I recall my cursor sticking in place when targeting floor tiles at least a few times while shooting into the dark.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 15:40 »

Huh?

I'm pretty sure I recall my cursor sticking in place when targeting floor tiles at least a few times while shooting into the dark.

It "remembers" if you're aiming at an area that you can see (green X) (even if your enemies are in the dark).  For a lot of corner shots you need to aim into the dark (red X).
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]
Pages: [1]