Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 06:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Basic Trait: Lifegiver  (Read 5922 times)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
New Basic Trait: Lifegiver
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:50 »

Lifegiver (Basic trait)
Increases the benefit or duration of consumables
Level 1 -> +50%
Level 2 -> +100%
Level 3 -> +150%

Armor shards, small medpacks, and beneficial levers aid more. (Maybe large medpacks can heal above 100?)
Berserk, Inv, and envirosuits last longer

I'm pretty sure this trait would have value at the newbie level and as a strategy for Diamond badge farmers who desperately need the berserk/inv globes. The % benefits may seem high, but it needs to be a valuable alternative to speed and damage traits. Perhaps the base could go up to 75% benefit and not be OP.

EDIT: In addition to the stated benefit, this trait would have a favorable effect on inventory management strategy
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:03 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: New Basic Trait: Lifegiver
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:23 »

Tis' sounds good! What are the opinions on this one?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Stormlock

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:04 »

I'm kind of worried about this making a run through really luck based. It's a trait that amplifies the effect of any berserk/invuln globes you find more than anything else. For it to be strong enough to make a worthwhile effect on gameplay, won't it also make it possible to do runs where you spend almost the entire time berserked or invulnerable? Not to mention even mortuary becomes fairly trivial if you spend the first 110 turns of it invulnerable.

Would be more comfortable if it were a 2nd tier trait, like intuition. Possibly even a master trait. Making it exclusive with intuition would help matters too, so you're less likely to be able to beeline from globe to globe without being scratched for long periods of time.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:31 »

I second the idea of making this an eagle-eye blocked master trait, but we would need to consider what traits this requires/blocks other than that.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 14:17 »

Tis' sounds good! What are the opinions on this one?
Welp, I say
But maybe it's a little overpowered in how it's currently proposed in the OP.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 15:20 »

so, as a master trait, would +100% work?  we could use another master trait that requires WK, so how's this:

blocks : ee, brute, reloader
requires: whizkid, badass
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Tuomari Jim

• Sergeant
  • Just lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 15:57 »

I sort of dislike it, and the extent that OP is suggesting is too extreme, but if you do implement it, why not make it require some levels of ironman(out of sheer logic of similarity and progression, given that other people see it too)?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 15:58 by Tuomari Jim »

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 16:13 »

I suppose as an advanced trait, it would make sense to hang it off of Iro2 just like Int/EE and TaN/Bad. It certainly wouldn't be more OP than Badass at the advanced level

Would be more comfortable if it were a 2nd tier trait, like intuition. Possibly even a master trait. Making it exclusive with intuition would help matters too, so you're less likely to be able to beeline from globe to globe without being scratched for long periods of time.

I feel that if you have unlocked this as an advanced trait AND you have Int1...your characater would probably be underpowered given the required investment in passive traits.

Maybe it would work as just a 1-level advanced trait that grants 75%?

EDIT: As a master-trait it would seem unimpressive, I dont see make folks taking this over the others (similar to how Cateye is neat, but it sees little use). It would need something to make it worthwhile such as one-shot consumables (like phases) will work multiple times before disappearing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 16:42 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 17:03 »

If this multiplied with ITYTD or N!'s bonus, it would probably break half the games you ran through.

Stormlock

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 21:24 »

How powerful it is would have a lot to do with what the requisite traits are though. I kind of like the whizkid/badass master trait idea, since whizkid works for pretty much anything now with all the assemblies, and badass seems fairly lackluster compared to ironman generally. Although in this case, I don't think you'd really need to block intuition anymore, since you're not going to see intuition + a mastertrait outside of Ao100 in most cases anyways right?

As far as having int 1 and this... keep in mind that puts you one level away from having int 2 and this, and int 2 is probably the single best trait in the game. Knowing where all your enemies are in addition to know where and how many powerups are on the level COMBINED with increasing the effect of those powers is nothing to sneeze at. Unless you're trying for an ass kicking marine, it makes it really easy to skip by any levels that don't have the right array of powerups and just cash in on the right levels. I think it'd be picked up a lot more than Cateye, which is probably mostly ignored because if you have intuition 2, you don't really need extra vision anyways.

Regarding N!'s bonus (I don't think ITYTD's difficulty matters much anyways does it?), maybe make it stack additively instead of exponentially (So you get 50 turns +(100 + 75)% = 137 turns instead of 100 baseline or 175 if they multiplied (Or the 325 as originally suggested... that'd be way too much.)

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 20:51 »

This would be sooper neat, though as a basic trait it'd need to be toned down.

And why make it a uniform buff? Small medpacks heal 10% more, large 20% more, 10% more invuln time and 20% more berserk time or something.

More envirosuit time would be cool, too. I've been able to clear the Lava Pits once... and that wasn't even in 0.9.9.2.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 13:47 »

Master Trait: Art of War
Requires: Whizkid, Badass
Blocks: Son of a Bitch, Hellrunner, Eagle Eye   

You're a master tactician, making Hell pay for everything it lets slip into your cunning hands. All powerups heal an extra 2d5 hp (even Large Health Globes!) and medpacks can heal you beyond 100%. Better than that is the fact that every other powerup lasts 50% longer. Finally every map acts like a Tracking Map.

The Good:
+No excluded weapons
+Excellent staying power, can use medpacks up to 200%
+Powerups are very powerful

The Bad:
+No speed/dodge bonuses
+SoB and EE make modding necessary  for rapid fire weapons to be efficient.
+Very dependant on item/powerup/mod generation.
Pages: [1]