Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 02:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minor sound bugs that can misinform players during combat...  (Read 1819 times)

R-800

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

While I didn't find anything about these sound issues anywhere in the bugs forum, I imagine that they must have been discussed at one time or another.  In any case, they've never been fixed.

When firing at some types of monsters, usually imps, in the case where they are killed on the player's current turn, the "crying out in pain" sound will always come along with their "blood gurgling death" sound.  In my mind, if they are killed on the current turn, we should not hear the pain sound, only the death sound, just as we did in the original Doom.  This seems a minor thing, but it can be more serious in the case where the player is shooting into the darkness, and trying to determine when his shots have only injured enemies, and when they have actually killed them.  If both sounds play at once in the case of hitting a single monster, then one can be led to believe that there is more than one enemy hiding in the shadows, one of whom was only hurt by the player's last attack and the other of whom was killed by it.

Another sound issue that can cause a similar and perhaps more serious risk calculation problem arises when  the Archvile resurrects dead monsters.  These resurrections do not produce the yucky gibbed "hamburger" sound that was characteristic of  Doom II.  In fact, these resurrections produce no sound at all.  This has caused me much grief on numerous occasions when a monster just on the edges of my field of vision keeps getting killed by my shots over and over again, and I begin wondering at some point if he is being resurrected by an Archvile, or if it's an entirely different instance of that monster who just happens to be approaching me from the same direction.  Not only would adding this sound tip us off more quickly to the presence and activity of an Archvile (a good thing given their relative danger level), it would also make DoomRL feel that much more like the original.

The next sound issue is from the latest version only (0.9.9.2).  When playing with the Dual Gunner perk, I can no longer hear each pistol's shot being fired independently of the other on any given turn.  The two shots happen so near to each other that it sounds to me as if only one pistol is firing.  This is very dissatisfying because I no longer get a sense that both guns are firing each turn, and I now worry about the possibility of one gun being empty while the other is not, since the firing sound no longer seems any different when two pistols are firing at once than it does when only one pistol is firing.  None of the other version have had this issue on my system.  I can't imagine why this would have been changed intentionally, so I'm guessing it unknowingly came along with some other change. 

The final sound issue has already been mentioned on the forums, but I did not understand the response.  The current version does not produce a sound when switches are pulled.  I imagine this is an actual bug.

Thanks to Kornel and Co. for making such an amazing game.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Minor sound bugs that can misinform players during combat...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 13:28 »

When firing at some types of monsters, usually imps, in the case where they are killed on the player's current turn, the "crying out in pain" sound will always come along with their "blood gurgling death" sound.  In my mind, if they are killed on the current turn, we should not hear the pain sound, only the death sound, just as we did in the original Doom.  This seems a minor thing, but it can be more serious in the case where the player is shooting into the darkness, and trying to determine when his shots have only injured enemies, and when they have actually killed them.  If both sounds play at once in the case of hitting a single monster, then one can be led to believe that there is more than one enemy hiding in the shadows, one of whom was only hurt by the player's last attack and the other of whom was killed by it.
I suppose I just got used to this, but yes, definitely a bug (or at least problematic for sound ab-users). It only has importance with shotties and rapid-fire that happen to hit something off-screen, though, so I guess it's never been a huge issue for players.

On a related note, I noticed there are problems with the gibbing noise sometimes: this would be easier to notice without the simultaneous cry.

Another sound issue that can cause a similar and perhaps more serious risk calculation problem arises when  the Archvile resurrects dead monsters.  These resurrections do not produce the yucky gibbed "hamburger" sound that was characteristic of  Doom II.  In fact, these resurrections produce no sound at all.  This has caused me much grief on numerous occasions when a monster just on the edges of my field of vision keeps getting killed by my shots over and over again, and I begin wondering at some point if he is being resurrected by an Archvile, or if it's an entirely different instance of that monster who just happens to be approaching me from the same direction.  Not only would adding this sound tip us off more quickly to the presence and activity of an Archvile (a good thing given their relative danger level), it would also make DoomRL feel that much more like the original.
A resurrection sound would be nice. The odds of not knowing an enemy being resurrected is fairly low, even if you don't know which it is: there's a message for the enemy being revived and a message for the arch-vile "raising his arms", indicating a resurrection. Either way, having a noise originate on the revived enemy, with the appropriate distance range (as there is for enemy cries) is a good place for it.

The next sound issue is from the latest version only (0.9.9.2).  When playing with the Dual Gunner perk, I can no longer hear each pistol's shot being fired independently of the other on any given turn.  The two shots happen so near to each other that it sounds to me as if only one pistol is firing.  This is very dissatisfying because I no longer get a sense that both guns are firing each turn, and I now worry about the possibility of one gun being empty while the other is not, since the firing sound no longer seems any different when two pistols are firing at once than it does when only one pistol is firing.  None of the other version have had this issue on my system.  I can't imagine why this would have been changed intentionally, so I'm guessing it unknowingly came along with some other change.
This is another consequence of the asynchronous animation. Testing out the sound quickly on a chaingun, I'm pretty sure I heard three shots fired instead of four: could be that the two-shot DG is only registering a single sound. Maybe it's a quick fix, maybe you just need to remember how many shots are in your pistols (equipment screen is only one button away).

Overall, there are numerous sound-related (and timing-related) issues that exist as a result of the asynchronous modification to the game engine: they'll probably be fixed little by little over time as it becomes necessary to do so. In the meantime, none of them have actually affected the game's calculations, so I doubt we'll have any returns to the old system (as this one allows for a much more streamlined runthrough).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 15:29 »

This is not a bug. The sound of the second pistol firing is played a moment after the first shot, resulting in a more loud shot sound. This is how things should work, because when you're firing two pistols at once, you do NOT fire first pistol, then fire second. You fire them both at the same moment. And while you have DG, you will always fire both pistols while you have ammo in both, and you will have equal amounts of ammo in both if you don't use any bulk mods or not semi-auto GCB. This feature does not bring dissatisfaction, there is nothing more satisfying than the knowledge that your shots are now twice more loud, twice more strong, twice more brutal.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 03:27 »

Not as big an issue, but sometimes when missiles with splash hit, the 'gib' sound plays instead of the fireball sound effect. I thought it might've been because it did a lot of damage, but then again that sound's supposed to mean there's some fresh salsa somewhere, not that you just got pretty roasted.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 14:07 »

And also I think I've found the reason of this. While shooting multi-shot weapon, like chaingun, with new animation all shots and their result sounds are played at the same turn. Since for example your second shot can connect but not kill, and the last can kill, you'll hear both the sounds of pain and death. And somehow it's hard to tell them apart. This is how things work in Doom, but I don't think that this is correct. If we pretend that all 4 shots are fired at the same time, then only the last hit should make sound.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.
Pages: [1]