Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 00:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|88%|YAVP] God Bless the Mortuary  (Read 2942 times)

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
[M|88%|YAVP] God Bless the Mortuary
« on: March 24, 2011, 22:52 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.2) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Crunch, level 10 Demon Corporal, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 132470 turns and scored 89002 points.
 He played for 2 hours and 56 seconds.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 552 out of 621 hellspawn. (88%)

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 9
  Levels visited   : 7
  Levels completed : 6

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Aurora Medallion
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Champion Medal
  UAC Bronze Badge
  Skull Bronze Badge
  Reaper Bronze Badge
  Reaper Silver Badge
  Reaper Gold Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #..........................................................
  #.........#.#....###.......................................
  #.........###....###...............###.....................
  #...........#....###...............#>#..###.....###........
  #..................................###..###.....###........
  #.........................###...........###.....###........
  #....................###..###..............................
  #........###................#..............................
  #........###.........|}....................................
  #........###...............................................
  #................................................###.......
  #................................................###.......
  #..............X.................................###.....##
  #.................###.................###................##
  #.................###.................###................##
  #.................###.................###..................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 47/80   Experience 41870/10
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman          (Level 3)
    Tough as nails   (Level 2)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Badass           (Level 1)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)
    Army of the Dead (Level 1)

Rel->Rel->SM->TaN->TaN->Bad->MAD->Iro->Iro->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   modified red armor [2/4] (46%) (N)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   modified missile launcher (6d7) [1/4] (P1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [1/1] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   modified nuclear BFG 9000 (8d9) [40/40] (P1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] modified assault shotgun (8d3) [6/6] (P1)
    [b] nuclear plasma rifle (1d6)x6 [24/24]
    [c] modified BFG 9000 (10d8) [30/130] (B1)
    [d] modified BFG 9000 (10d8) [10/130] (B1)
    [e] Angelic Armor [3/7] (32%)
    [f] shotgun shell (x70)
    [g] shotgun shell (x70)
    [h] shotgun shell (x70)
    [i] shotgun shell (x70)
    [j] rocket (x9)
    [k] rocket (x14)
    [l] rocket (x14)
    [m] large med-pack
    [n] large med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] large med-pack
    [r] large med-pack
    [s] large med-pack
    [t] Arena Master's Staff

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

105 former humans
    66 former sergeants
    18 former captains
    57 imps
    58 demons
    128 lost souls
    40 cacodemons
    16 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    28 hell knights
    12 arachnotrons
    4 former commandos
    8 pain elementals
    5 arch-viles
    2 mancubi
    1 revenant
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  On level 8 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 12 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 13 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 13 he found the Anti-Freak Jackal!
  On level 15 he encountered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 16 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  He fled the Unholy Cathedral seeing no chance to win.
  On level 17 he found the Medical Powerarmor!
  On level 17 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 22 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 22 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Mortuary from evil!
  On level 24 he found the Nano Pack!
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

rocket launcher.
 The Cyberdemon fires! You dodge! The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Cyberdemon (mortally wounded) [m]ore | blood
 The missile hits the Cyberdemon.
 You reload the missile launcher with rocket. The Cyberdemon fires! You are
 hit!
 The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 The Cyberdemon fires! You dodge!
 You reload the missile launcher with rocket. The Cyberdemon reloads his
 rocket launcher.
 The Cyberdemon fires! You are hit! Your red armor is damaged!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Cyberdemon (almost dead) [m]ore | pool of blood
 The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon dies. You feel relatively
 safe now. Congratulations! You defeated the Cyberdemon! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 29 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 27 of those were killed.
 And 2 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

I haven't played DoomRL in about a year, but I started again last week, and had mostly been getting myself killed in embarrassing ways before level 5. I haven't beaten it before, though I came embarrassingly close way back when I first played it (The mortem is probably still here, buried). This time I finished the Cyberdemon with ammo and health to spare.

Highlights:
I was fucked about twice. The Wall early on basically cleaned out all my rockets, all my spare health, and my armor. It was a tense couple of levels slinking around and running from spooky noises before I got in fighting shape again. Then around level 20 I was running on fumes, and I basically ran into the Mortuary to escape being surrounded by Barons, a Vile and a Mancubus.

The Mortuary basically saved my game; I went in with plenty of spare energy cells and two BFGs but only beaten-up Medical Powerarmor and something like 2-3 large health packs, and since I'd never done the Mortuary before I was expecting to be mobbed from all sides and killed (At least it would be a good way to die, crushed under a mountain of demons). But somehow I managed to kill the Viles with the BFGs and finished the rest of the revived monsters with my missile launcher. With all the random loot from the Mortuary, the assault shotgun, the nuke BFG, piles of ammo, a gift package of large healthpacks, and the goddamn Angelic Armor, I was basically set up for the rest of the game. When the Angelic Armor got beat up, I swapped to the Red with Nano that I picked up just before the last level. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to how far I'd gotten at that point, so I was kinda surprised when I tripped my way down into Cybie's Hidey Hole.

The nuke BFG was kept in reserve against Cybie in case I turned into a retard and managed to get myself dead, in which case I could nuke him for the finale. But since it's surprisingly easy to dance around his rockets, it didn't come down to that. Since the only other time I found him was last year and we spent the entire fight at point-blank range, I didn't realize how easy it is to sidestep most of his shots. Probably just RNG being kind.

I did find the Anti-Freak Jackal, but since I was playing with shotguns and rockets, I didn't have any ammo for it at that point, and I preferred my powermod combat shotgun (Which I left in the Mortuary after upgrading to the powermod Assault Shotgun). I left it at the Hellgate for hypothetical stalkers to use. I skipped over the Spider Pits, and some level that spawned in a hellcave full of lava; I never found it, and wasn't going to wade out into the fire to look for it after I'd killed the attendant Arachnotrons.

Since it was my first time ever in the Mortuary, I managed to get the Bronze/Silver/Gold Reaper Badges all in one shot. That was kinda nifty, along with all the game-making loot the place coughed up. The Mortuary basically won my game for me. Bless that corpse-ridden mess of a level!
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [M|88%|YAVP] God Bless the Mortuary
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16 »

The Mortuary basically saved my game; I went in with plenty of spare energy cells and two BFGs but only beaten-up Medical Powerarmor and something like 2-3 large health packs, and since I'd never done the Mortuary before I was expecting to be mobbed from all sides and killed (At least it would be a good way to die, crushed under a mountain of demons). But somehow I managed to kill the Viles with the BFGs and finished the rest of the revived monsters with my missile launcher. With all the random loot from the Mortuary, the assault shotgun, the nuke BFG, piles of ammo, a gift package of large healthpacks, and the goddamn Angelic Armor, I was basically set up for the rest of the game. When the Angelic Armor got beat up, I swapped to the Red with Nano that I picked up just before the last level. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to how far I'd gotten at that point, so I was kinda surprised when I tripped my way down into Cybie's Hidey Hole.
For some reason a lot of people expect some kind of insta-death going into Mortuary, but it's not nearly as hard as that. You need to be well-prepared going in, but that and a little tactical foresight makes it pretty simple to clean up. HNTR only has five Viles, and you won't be seeing commandos or Mancubi (thank goodness there are never Revs). Also, shame you couldn't build Power Armor, that would've been SWEETness.

I did find the Anti-Freak Jackal, but since I was playing with shotguns and rockets, I didn't have any ammo for it at that point, and I preferred my powermod combat shotgun (Which I left in the Mortuary after upgrading to the powermod Assault Shotgun). I left it at the Hellgate for hypothetical stalkers to use. I skipped over the Spider Pits, and some level that spawned in a hellcave full of lava; I never found it, and wasn't going to wade out into the fire to look for it after I'd killed the attendant Arachnotrons.
That second level was (most coincidentally) the Lava Pits, which would've meant even MORE lava you wouldn't have been able to cross.

That people ditch uniques is, in my opinion, an issue that needs to be resolved in some way. There should be only one reason to not pick up and use a unique: you already have something better (unlikely but possible). It always bothers me to find a unique that I'm not going to use, when it's already so rare to find a unique in the first place.

Anyway, congratulations on the first victory, and best of luck in completing many more!
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 16:48 »

For some reason a lot of people expect some kind of insta-death going into Mortuary, but it's not nearly as hard as that. You need to be well-prepared going in, but that and a little tactical foresight makes it pretty simple to clean up. HNTR only has five Viles, and you won't be seeing commandos or Mancubi (thank goodness there are never Revs). Also, shame you couldn't build Power Armor, that would've been SWEETness.
I wasn't really "prepared" in the normal sense; my stocks were vastly overbalanced toward offense. I had more than enough liquid hate to shoot at everything, but no spare armor and very little on-demand health. The powerups at the entrypoint helped, but after that got blasted to pieces I basically stood in the center of the level and breathed rockets at everyone that walked into my field of view, and hoped that what little health/armor I had would hold out. It did, barely, and the magical mortuary prizes were pretty good for refilling my depleted stocks. I was probably lucky the Viles were more aggressive or at least more interested in getting near me than hanging out in the background reviving critters, or I might not have had enough crap in my pockets to keep myself alive.

And sadly, no spare powermods toward the end. I was tripping over mods everywhere for a while, I kinda wish I'd kept one even after my equipment was set up.

That second level was (most coincidentally) the Lava Pits, which would've meant even MORE lava you wouldn't have been able to cross.
Yeah, I don't know how I would have hoped to deal with that. It looks like you have to horde enviroment packs for the entire game or something to clear that level out.

That people ditch uniques is, in my opinion, an issue that needs to be resolved in some way. There should be only one reason to not pick up and use a unique: you already have something better (unlikely but possible). It always bothers me to find a unique that I'm not going to use, when it's already so rare to find a unique in the first place.
Yeah, it was sort of sad to have to leave behind such a nice piece of equipment, but my build and inventory were just not going to be able to use it, and I needed that inventory slot a lot more than I needed souvenirs. I'm not sure how random unique spawning could be expected to give you something that would always fit your character, though. Uniques are ultimately still part of the same basic weapon categories and the game does not reward people that refuse to specialize, so there's bound to be things that spawn that you can't really use effectively. That nuclear plasma cannon I was carting around was nice for saving ammo, but my trusty missile launcher was a far more effective "heavy" weapon.

Anyway, congratulations on the first victory, and best of luck in completing many more!
Thank yew, maybe next time I'll get a AoMr run that doesn't end up with me dead around level 20. I always seem to lose steam around there.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Tuomari Jim

• Sergeant
  • Just lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:33 »

IMHO, not really, because Doomrl is all about specializing one way or the other. But other than that, I think the only uniques that have this problem are the pistol uniques and the Butcher's cleaver, perhaps with the exclusion of the Trigun...

In other news: Congrats on your victory, Creepy!
Pages: [1]