Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 17:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Blood Rivers  (Read 3672 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Blood Rivers
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:15 »

As for me it seems that it's not right that when you spill big amount of blood into water, water is still clear without any traces of blood. So I propose that if you spill blood into the liquid, the whole flooded area blood counter increases and liquid counter decreases. When there is more blood than liquid, half of the liquid turns into blood, which has the same properties as the water, only colored in red. When there is no liquid in the area, it completely turns into blood. And also, when you spill enough blood onto the ordinary floor, it also turns into blood. Gibbed enemies drop massive amount of blood, instantly turning the cell into blood. Lost Souls and Pain Elementals do not spill blood.

This might need some balancing, because it makes N! easier and viles weaker and Mortuary easier. But it adds some flavor and makes lava and acid areas crossable.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Rivers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 13:47 »

Lava should either turn into bloody floor, or be entirely immune.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 16:10 »

This might need some balancing, because it makes N! easier and viles weaker and Mortuary easier.
Well; that's it, that IS the balance. :P

Anyhow I do not really like the idea. Especially if the blood effect actually neutralises the liquid areas. To me, it just somewhat seems like the wall eating blood bug, returning as a feature, the "liquid drinking blood feature". And the ability to cross acid by spilling blood on it just doesn't make enough sense to me.

As a mere visual effect... well, maybe... but I still have my doubts about it for some reason.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 16:54 »

I do not endorse this product and/or service.

As a visual effect it could work for water tiles (a simple bloodto should suffice).  Anything more complicated is a lot of work for no benefit, and gameplay changes are just insane.

Then there's the whole concept behind 'volume' and 'dilution' that puts a logical damper on the whole thing...

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 22:12 »

When I looked at the title, I thought this suggestion would be simply blood rivers in addition to existing possible lava, acid, water, whatever level features and was 100% behind it.

Maybe there could be some way to help make the occurrence of lava something besides a dangerous obstacle in certain instances, but this isn't it. Maybe simply having a roll for a blood level feature instead of lava in earlier hell levels or something would balance that threat somewhat.

And there's always levers. "Gallons and gallons of blood pour out from grates in the (walls/floor)! --more-- You don't want to know where it all came from..."
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 23:26 »

When I looked at the title, I thought this suggestion would be simply blood rivers in addition to existing possible lava, acid, water, whatever level features and was 100% behind it.

Maybe there could be some way to help make the occurrence of lava something besides a dangerous obstacle in certain instances, but this isn't it. Maybe simply having a roll for a blood level feature instead of lava in earlier hell levels or something would balance that threat somewhat.

And there's always levers. "Gallons and gallons of blood pour out from grates in the (walls/floor)! --more-- You don't want to know where it all came from..."
This. Want.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:01 »

Oh, I entirely agree that the game should have rivers/pools of blood. After all, it's there in the source material >:-)
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:07 »

Maybe simply having a roll for a blood level feature instead of lava in earlier hell levels or something would balance that threat somewhat.

Ew. That's gotta stink. :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

DeathDealer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Less Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30 »

Definitely want the rivers, blood levels, and levers in the game. Maybe the blood tiles could cause slipping or slower movement on these levels, but even without a special effect it would be awesome.

On a related note:

Wave of Gore level event!

"There's something crawling beneath your skin!"

Generates a wave of 'Gore' tiles, on look: "A wriggling mass of gore."

+ Gore tiles/wave slow players slightly (+.2 movement speed) "Ugh?! You struggle through the gore."
+ Enemies regenerate slowly (2d3/sec?)
+ Destroys power-ups, items
+ Turns all walls into bloody (Gory?) walls instead of destroying them
+ Picks up speed as it devours bodies (Should be faster than other waves somehow, since it isn't outright deadly)
+ All blood effects leave Gore tiles instead of blood
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:54 by DeathDealer »
Pages: [1]