Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 19:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monster knockback reduction  (Read 1886 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Monster knockback reduction
« on: April 10, 2011, 22:56 »

So I was going through AoHu (abruptly ended when I realised that even 20 HP and 7 armour is not enough to survive a lava barrel explosion) with my Combat Shotgun (9d3) [5/5] (P2T3) when I realised how absurdly easy the game is once you get a decent combat shotgun and some levels of finesse.

What makes me think that some monsters need natural knockback reduction is my favourite hellgate trick, the one where you hide behind the northern wall and fire/reload/fire/reload so quickly that you can push back both of the bruiser brothers before either can attack you.

In my opinion, bigger and heavier enemies should have much more knockback resistance. Revenants and Hell Knights get about -30%, Barons and Arachnotrons get about -50% and Mancubi/Minibosses get -70% or so.

On the other hand, flying enemies should have about +100% knockback and be buffed in some way to compensate (Cacodemons just get some stat increases, pain elementals that you've injured will spawn lost souls even if you can't see them)
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Monster knockback reduction
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:34 »

Shotguns and knockback has seen me through a great many trials.  But you do go through a lot of shells that way, and shells are notoriously scarce in Hell.  How do you keep enough shells handy to use them at such long ranges?

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: Monster knockback reduction
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:57 »

I don't think I've ever ran out of shotgun shells, usually the ones in the halls of carnage prove to be enough. Often if you run out of ammo it's because you didn't pick some up when your inventory was full with too much non-ammo stuff.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40
Pages: [1]