Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Infinite Arena  (Read 4362 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Infinite Arena
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:42 »

Fighting through three rounds is enough to have been considered beating the challenge, will grant the same rewards it used to, and is still all that is needed for the Arena Master to show up personally in the Chained Court. But why stop there? Surely the devil would not let someone go from his colosseum of blood so easily, not when the crowds demand more entertainment? Would he not much rather tempt the mortal warrior that has so skillfully slaughtered his demons, flatter his might and see if he could keep him for one more round... and another... and another...

Getting tired yet? Yes, you must be, after all this destruction, but certainly such a mighty marine could handle one more round! Each round brings out more and more enemies, each deadlier than before - up to and including arch-viles, which will obviously raise all the deceased gladiators from the rounds before! The player can quit any time he wants - and be ridiculed out of the arena by the jeering crowds - given rewards based on how many rounds he endured, including rare weapons and possibly even uniques if he withstands the horde long enough.

How about one more before you go?

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Arena
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 14:15 »

'Infinite Arena' maps have been a staple of sandbox modding ever since the sandbox came out.  From this we have learned a few things:

* Viles suck, especially if corpses aren't cleared every round (and they are still boring mood killers otherwise)
* 25 rounds is more-or-less the upper limit for how long the arena can stay fresh and exciting.
* Too many monster drops, especially from formers, fills up the floor, expanding inventory management to the whole damn level
* The crowd jeering gets really old after a while and interferes with useful messages

From an in-game perspective it would simply wreck balance.  You can't let someone have that sort of experience and equipment game that early on.  Better to leave that to one-off mods.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 17:41 »

a mod like this elarady exists, its called skyulltagrl
but its really too easy

ph and sorry for the typos, i am drunjk.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 17:43 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 18:57 »

Too easy?  I can't beat it on the hardest difficulty without exploit abuse...

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:11 »

Being a very common kind of DoomRL player, I usually have trouble even with the standard Hell's Arena. More often than not, even if I would manage to clear the three rounds, I would not survive the fourth.

The first two or three levels you get to clear before Hell's Arena typically won't arm you with too much stuff to deal with this challenge. If you can manage to get through into the more powerful rewards, you're probably so skilled that you would never have needed them to begin with.

Shoop da Whoop

• First Sergeant
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 08:37 »

Proposition for Long Arena: the longer you stay, the lover you'll quit in result. For example, after waves 1-3 - next level, 4 - skip one level, 5 - skip two of them, etc.
Code: [Select]
He had posted some posts.
He waited enough for new version of DoomRL.
He played classic Doom but not passed. He also played rogulikes. And once he found the intersection of these sets...

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47 »

Would need to cap it at 5, then; would you really want to miss out on the Chained Court after doing the Arena on AoB?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 15:26 »

Can we get an infinite arena as a separate challenge mode available from the menu?
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

darksergio

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:19 »

Can we get an infinite arena as a separate challenge mode available from the menu?
I second that

Tuomari Jim

• Sergeant
  • Just lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 14:44 »

I second that

Thirded.
Pages: [1]