Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gun Kata - Worth it?  (Read 8251 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Gun Kata - Worth it?
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:06 »

I often play AoM, but even then I often tend to pass this one. Dodging is just too much of a hassle, of limited use, and very often I'm in narrow corridors where it's not possible to do anyway. Meanwhile, put another point in SoaG, two in Finesse, and maybe one in SoaB, and I can remain stationary and shoot almost as fast as with Gun Kata without having to move around.

Though, I guess the existence of the Tactical Armor/Boots have made this more viable, letting me move and dodge much better. But still. What do you think, should I learn myself to dodge better?

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Kata - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07 »

Personally, I don't like Gun Kata, but I think it's a matter of preference - my first AoMr win used it.  Take that 3rd SoaG in any case, by level 3 or 4.  GK requires more thinking, or at least different thinking, than going for max power, and leads to a more unique game;  SoaB pistols are a lot like chainguns.
Gun Kata does go very well with the unique pistols.  Failing that, high-power or heavily modded pistols (P/T) are good.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

BirdoPrey

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:18 »

I prefer putting points into finesse/whizkid and SoB, especially on higher difficulties where dodging isn't all that useful. Particularly now that dodgemaster has been nerfed fixed.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:40 »

I do not really like gunkata much either, the knockback you can get from SoABin gives a lot more use against the end term enemies then the reloading does.
The reload does has it uses when there's a lot of mobs, but then again, if you're good at using cover you never really fight many at the same time to begin with..

Only place I see gunkata being useful is city of skulls really, but its pretty questionable to visit as AoM anyway.
i dont even know anymore

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11 »

It's AoMr, not AoM. AoM is a different challenge altogether.

That said, I prefer going Cateye over Kata. Actually, I prefer going Masterless over having a Master trait. A well-played Generalist is just as deadly as a Kata or Cateye character.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51 »

It's AoMr, not AoM. AoM is a different challenge altogether.
Yes. Specifically, it is a challenge that does not exist. (Max Carnage is AoMC, Masochism is AoMs.)
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 13:20 »

Angel of Mercy?

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 13:59 »

We had AoM in 0.9.8.10, I think; but if we did then that's what Angel of Masochism was before. Angel of Mercy would have been Angel of Pacifism.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 23:49 »

Gun Kata is still the most fun master trait in the game, and I won UV AoMR with it.

These are the two facts I remember when I read the charts that tell me I can get an extra 1.5 damage per second out of my pistols if I get Son of a Boring Trait ASAP.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09 »

Combining SoG, SoaB, and Finesse for their maximum levels practically gives you the damage range for a single volley of the old Chaingun with one fully loaded unmodded pistol; add Eagle Eye and Juggler, and you've got twelve bullets as fast as you can fire them that hit very well already from Pistol being a precision weapon.

EDIT: SoG(5) + SoaB(5) + Finesse(3) + Eagle Eye(5) + Juggler + Intuition(2) + Tough As Nails(2) = 10 Shots per second + 10 extra damage per shot + Guaranteed 98% Accuracy + One Instant Reload. I can empty my pistol before an arch vile gets a second action, and likely kill it too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:25 by raekuul »

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 07:38 »

What do those numbers in parentheses mean?

Kamikaze14

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:48 »

The number of times the trait's been taken.  The level cap's been raised in the beta and after reaching a certain level the SoB, SoAG, and EE (possibly more?) get their maxes raised to 5.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 07:58 »

Wow, and it's actually possible to get, what, 23 levels, aside from Ao100 perhaps?

I usually don't even think that far ahead. And there are easier and cheaper ways to kill an arch-vile with the same speed and risk.

Kamikaze14

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 08:01 »

Yeah, the level cap raise is pretty much only good for Ao100.  I haven't even hit the current cap outside of Ao100.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 08:38 »

Well, after a while, it's diminishing returns. I wonder if we should have an Angel of Wisdom, where you start with 20 traits but can't level further...
Pages: [1] 2  All