Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Former sergeants are too quick for dead people  (Read 4966 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Former sergeants are too quick for dead people
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:40 »

I can't peek behind a corner without getting lead all over me and being knocked back a whole lot. I've been suffering this ever since the game first came out, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure zombies aren't supposed to have lightning-fast reflexes.

Couldn't you slow 'em down a little bit? At least when the Doomguy first pops from behind corner all unexpected like. It'd take them a sec to regain their composure.

BirdoPrey

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Former sergeants are too quick for dead people
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:13 »

HOW DID ZOMBIES LEARN TO RUN SOOOOOO FAST?
iN THE 80'S THEY DIDN'T RUN, NOW THEY ARE ALL ON RED BULL OR SOMETHING.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:30 »

First they learned to run, then they learned to wield guns, and now they can always win in a quick draw.

Hmm. That needs to be a trait. "You always get the first shot out."

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:11 »

The way the game works, that's already what happens. Doomguy's action is always the 'first' in a round.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:27 »

I seem to recall Doom's formers of various kinds were sometimes pretty quick on the draw if they were already awake (due to gunfire) when you stepped into their field of view.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 16:18 »

Okay, but seriously, that's cheating. Something should be made about that. Like, if the Doomguy enters someone's field of vision on his turn, then they won't have the time to react on the exact same turn, when they take theirs, but rather must wait for the next round. Except for some higher level monsters: those are allowed to act first unless the Doomguy is fast enough, like with Hellrunner. Then, when everyone gets to see each other and fire, whoever is the fastest gets the shot out first: the player character's firing speed, and all the traits affecting on it, will be important.

In other words, bring in a new stat called Initiative.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 17:09 »

They are not dead. They are possessed...
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 23:25 »

Same difference.

Tuomari Jim

• Sergeant
  • Just lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 00:45 »

First they learned to run, then they learned to wield guns, and now they can always win in a quick draw.

Hmm. That needs to be a trait. "You always get the first shot out."

And you think it wouldn't be imbalanced if it was always the other way around?

Okay, but seriously, that's cheating. Something should be made about that. Like, if the Doomguy enters someone's field of vision on his turn, then they won't have the time to react on the exact same turn, when they take theirs, but rather must wait for the next round. Except for some higher level monsters: those are allowed to act first unless the Doomguy is fast enough, like with Hellrunner. Then, when everyone gets to see each other and fire, whoever is the fastest gets the shot out first: the player character's firing speed, and all the traits affecting on it, will be important.

In other words, bring in a new stat called Initiative.

See my previous point. I don't really see any point in complicating game mechanics any more, as raekuul already pointed out that

Doomguy's action is always the 'first' in a round.

Don't you think the monsters deserve a chance, too? I mean, it's an ambush, they're supposed to get the first shot. Don't you scout with the shotgun? Even around the corner, you can still, in most cases, fire a chainfire weapon into the shotgun's dead spot. Or you can blast through the wall with a barrel or a rocket if those are available. Not to be offensive or anything, but it just sounds to me that there's a problem with your tactics, not with game balance.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:14 »

Tell me how to get them to move around more, so that I could actually get them to do the same mistakes I always do.

And no, item baiting never works for some reason. Or even if it does, it only does because I put the thing down close enough and got riddled with so many bullet holes that I might as well just have shot them with the same trouble.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 16:55 »

Tell me how to get them to move around more, so that I could actually get them to do the same mistakes I always do.

And no, item baiting never works for some reason. Or even if it does, it only does because I put the thing down close enough and got riddled with so many bullet holes that I might as well just have shot them with the same trouble.

Close the door from one side, drop a medipack in front of the door, open the door from the side, then wait. The enemies will come, you will get first shot. :)
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2
Pages: [1]