Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 11:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Veteran missions, possibly a nice wariant of multiplayer and single player  (Read 2213 times)

zenfur

• Corporal
  • Huh?
    • View Profile

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and my joining to this society I'd like begin with some feature requests of mine, generally crazy ideas. The first one is veteran missions idea. I know, that it's frequently proposed, and that's why it's such subject. I'd like to propose an interesting system.

Concretes:
You have 3 slots for multiplayer veteran mission soldiers.
You may choose to save your soldier to attempt some multi-play after fully winning the game.
All level traits/exp is saved than, and so is equipment.
There is an infinite source of frequent usable items, like med-packs, enviro suits etc., + ammo, normal mods and normal weapons, which player may take to his equipment. Also he may remove any items he wants, change dressing etc. Just manage his equipment with possibitlity to grab any common item.
Now, ready soldier may be sent on a veteran mission, farther in single player or multiplayer. I can think of numerous enjoyable missions to pass, and if any1 is interested, I will post some.
Veteran may be sent in normal or locked mode - if he dies in normal mode on the mission - he's deleted, but if he survives he gains exp and eq he got on the mission. Locked mode makes no risk to loose him, but there's no gain if he succeeds.

The point is, to allow players somehow compare their win characters in an interesting way - fighting. This may be cooperative, or even 6v6 capture the flag, with team-coloured base defender monsters and attacking monsters, upgradeable base, possibility to leadership them... Second type of games, like matches like CTF could be attendable only at locked mode, as there ressurects of players is rather a must. Like in some deathmatches...

Multiplayer terms:
adjustable turn ticking, I guess range 0.5-5sec is enough, of course the turns could tick faster, if every1 sends what he chooses to do. Quite difficult would be realising that someone may have turn faster than somebody, as his actions consumed less time. I suggest just skipping turns for those who were slow... In fact it isn't such a problem...
Second matter is a map. C'mon, it's very little, I guess it's much too little for multiplayer, so I suggest map scrolling... about the map, how about some map looping options and height map as in dwarf fortress?
Some resurrects, with time delay.
Some cool options for matches, like proposed before (in this post) monsters as minions, maybe with some leadershipment, or even own scripting of their AI (but this rather for geeks :P)

If you will like the general concept of saving veterans after clearing hell for further missions, and it's partially accepted, I may think of a better mechanisms, and generally work on this idea, add some complete missions, styles of game (Deathmath, ctf are the most basic), etc.

If only project was in C++, I would also offer programmer contribution :-)
Zenfur from Poland, I hope to stay around you guys for some time.
I've had some problems with submiting this theard, if I made some multiplies, please delete them.
[0.9.9.7G][20/15/10/5/1/0]
19 different medals
Hell Baron

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile

Just a quick initial response: Map scrolling won't be happening in DoomRL. It's going to stay 80x25. DoomRL 2, on the other hand, is being written in C++, and will allow for scrolling.

A point of clarification: The Graphical mode of DoomRL will have a slight scroll to it, due to the size of the tiles, but the 80x25 size of individual maps will remain unchanged.

Interesting suggestions, though. I look forward to the discussion they may start.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

JackFlash

• Supporter
  • Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Hi there!

another multiplayer turns idea:
every player would have, say, 10 turns and every second he will get 1 turn until he reaches maximum (10).

since this its more realtime then turnbased, it would drasticly change the gameplay to action "NO TIME TO EXPLAIN" madness. No more coffebreaks when surrounded by viles :<

to MP modes: cooperation would be really cool!

Blahness

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

HR Gravitic boot Finesse(3) permazerked DS-wielding badass would win any game mode you could throw at him.
Pages: [1]